Last minute bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
mindadowling

Last minute bookings

Post by mindadowling »

Received an email late yesterday from a couple in Amsterdam. They wrote that our house was recommended by a couple who stayed at our cottage last year. Wanted to booked our home for this Saturday for a week.

Thought this was strange as this is our first season renting our cottage and I never heard of the couple they mentioned. Also thought it was strange that they wanted to book so last minute. I wrote them back and explained the situation. Received another email this morning asking again if the house was available. They had no explanation regarding the alleged couple who rented our house last year. They just said they wanted to rent somewhere private for a week.

Am I being overly paranoid! Do people make bookings just days in advance? I have a strange feeling in my stomach about this couple! Part of me wants to take the booking as its my only week left until mid October, the other part of me is saying keep away and don't be so greedy!

I would really like to hear what you guys think about this?
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Go with your gut instinct - if it feels wrong then don't do it. It does seem strange that they haven't responded to your concerns.

C-A
debk

Post by debk »

Yes, go with your gut. Not because it's last minute -- I get those fairly regularly, mostly from doctors -- but because they lied to you for no reason. (If it had been some kind of strange mixup such as "Whoops, the referral was for a place on the second leg of our journey" or some such, I'd let it go. But they didn't even explain the mysterious referral.) These are not trustworthy people.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

This actually begs another question........how do you tell somebody that you don't want to rent to them because you think they are not trustworthy. Do we tell white lies?

What white lies do people tell??
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
debk

Post by debk »

I'm one of those painfully honest people who thinks a white lie is just another lie... but I can, occasionally :oops: , be tactful. I would simply say "I'm sorry but the house is not available. Best wishes for a delightful trip"
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

We had a similar situation for the first week in May where a lady rang up last minute to ask if the cottage was available - it was. However, during our telephone conversation it emerged that they wanted our cottage for 3 couples and their six children under 5. Our cottage sleeps up to six people (whatever their age) so when they rang I told a lie and said the cottage was booked. It's about the only week that isn't booked this year, but I felt it wasn't worth the risk. I agree - go with your gut instinct.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, I agree 100% -- your gut instinct knows what's wrong, even if you can't articulate it yet.

It follows then: better to risk offending them than risk them damaging the house or failing to pay you. You don't need to explain yourself -- a simple and polite statement that the dates are no longer available is good enough. If you really feel that you need to make an excuse, a last-minute emergency repair will do nicely.
Brooke
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"Do people make bookings just days in advance? " YES!

As for lying - why bother? If I have a request I don't want to accept I tell the people why (my particular aversion is groups of doctors & I don't mind telling them that I never let to them). I don't like groups unless it is a family: I say so to anyone who asks for a group booking.

I think that people who ask for reductions are likely to turn out to be less than perfect visitors - I say "We don't offer reductions" .

It's easy to say all this after 10 years experience: when you start out you are a lot less confident (at any rate, I was).
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I have only once turned down a booking..I was just uneasy with the family name - then the delays in the deposit arriving - when I did speak to them they sounded really rough on the phone...I took another booking - so I didn't lie as it were - just didn't hold the booking ..

I'm really panicking now...as we have 2 families from Liverpool arriving on Saturday (very late as well) but I'm waiting up as I have just had hassel after hassel from them re money arriving - she always gets in a muddle with Euros - even rang us on our mobile when we were on holiday saying she was in a muddle and hadn't sent the money!!!

the deposit cheque hasn't arrived either - it's 4 adults & 6 kids on a special offer...why did I take this booking - I could kick myself :evil:

So I shall be doing something I've never done before and that is not leave until I have a cheque in my hand...I have made it clear in my emails with the directions etc. that I will be there to see them in and will be looking to take the cheque...but what does one do if they are the families from hell and your worst nightmare...not let them in?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

A friend of ours has only ever had bother with single sex groups of skiers (males), and yes, one group were doctors. Thing is unless you ask for all names beforehand, how do you tell? I've treid to pug it as a family apartment and the resort is quite quiet in the evenings, so wouldn't appeal to party animals anyway, but........... I'd hate to see all my new stuff trashed.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Minda,

That sounds deeply suspicious. I would definitely call them to find out what sort of people they are, and if you are not 100% satisfied, turn down the booking.

People DO book last-minute. I have a couple renting this week who made first contact with me on Thursday of last week. But they called and I was able to establish that they are responsible, good renters.

What you leave yourself open to with your couple, and Tansy's booking, is people turning up with a cheque which bounces after their stay. If I had any doubts I would insist on them either turning up with cash, or making a cash transfer into my account.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Post by debk »

Tansy -

You poor thing. I would be a nervous wreck. I had one situation rather like this one. (4 women doctors coming to an overseas conference who "forgot" to book accommodations until the week before. hello? then the wire transfer got lost somewhere over the atlantic, finally arriving the day before they did. but they ending up being awesome guests!) this was the final straw that pushed me to taking credit cards... something I had been considering and now wouldn't dream of doing without. A last minute booker can pay right away via card and the "status" (eg, ok, caution, warning) that my credit processor puts on the receipt regarding the cardholder adds one more level of comfort regarding the guest. But I digress.

As for your guests, I wouldn't even have the door unlocked when they arrived. Hopefully, they won't even show since you didn't get the deposit check. Tho that is a small hope.

I'd probably be hanging around outside (in the dark even) and would lean in their car window and say something like, "gracious, I didn't know if you were coming since I never got your check. I'm so glad I decided to be here just in case. Do you have the check with you?" If they haven't even written one out yet, the red flags would go sky high. (You'll need to cash it first thing Monday to make sure it's good. Definitely push your bank to call to confirm the funds... tho sometimes they can't.) If they are supposed to bring cash that would be less nerve-wracking for me: if they don't have it, no reason for them to get out of the car. I would let my frustration show then. No more smiles. They now know they screwed up. I would offer them the option to come back in the morning (or Monday morning, since they'll be hardpressed to get enough cash on a Sunday) at a reasonable hour with the cash for check-in. Hopefully, they will be so upset that they'll drive away and you'll never see them.

Then again, maybe they are great folks who dropped the ball at the last minute. And they will have your cash and be delightful and everything will be fine. Our guests consistently surrise us with their graciousness; the guests are definitely one of the biggest perks of this biz.

Good luck, Tansy. Be tough! I know, I know. Easier said than done. (Oh, and the fact that there are kids involved in this late arrival is THEIR fault, not yours. Don't let them use the kids as some kind of leverage to make you feel guilty for possibly sending them off to get a hotel.)

Let us know how it goes. We live and learn together.
debk
tansy

Post by tansy »

Thanks guys for the support....problem is that they have actually paid for the week - eventually came through - late but here - just the deposit against damage..as Paolo says they can cancel it - as per our terms we don't cash it unless there is damage...I'll just have a very uneasy week me thinks...still the positive thing is that we have one of our repeat bookings coming back for a month on Friday - lives in Nice so long drive up & his partner catches ferry to Ireland from Cherbourg for her holiday - so he is staying with us one night then moves into Utah Beach for one week then moves into other house that the Liverpudlians vacate - so worse case scenario at least it's Richard going in next who will fully appreciate any situation I may have!

Every cloud - silver lining...fingers crossed!!
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

Thanks for all your comments! I went with my gut instinct and told them that with such short notice I couldn't possibly prepare our cottage for them to the standard we offer our guests. They knew the cottage was available so I had to come up with another excuse. This puts the blame on me rather than on them, thought it would be more diplomatic!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Minda,

I know it is a very slim possibility but what will you do if the potential renter just happens to be a member of this forum and reads what you have done? Could be - "oops! humble pardies"

Alan