Last minute bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
tansy

Post by tansy »

so what's the secret Alan?...

We've had some lovely folk - quite a few coming back this year so we've a few dinner parties in the pipeline.

25% of our bookings this year are repeat.

But there's still the vast majority I wouldn't choose to spend time with.

Do you turn away business if you feel they aren't the right 'sort'?...I'm not having a dig either - just curious - I have a little sneaking suspicion I understand why you have eutopia there...and why I haven't here....could it be to do with the fact of being onsite and in control from day one including enquiry? - I hand over and loose control
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,
so what's the secret Alan?...
I don't think there is any secret or magic formula.

It's a combination of many things which make an area and a property attractive to some people and not attractive to others. You have already mentioned some of them. Only to an tiny extent am I selective but it has happened. My visitors do appreciate the fact that I am on-site and available but not in an intrusive or controlling sort of way at all. The area is quiet and devoid of manufactured attractions such as night clubs, happy-hour wine bars, discotheques, theme parks, etc. I could go on and on but I expect you know exactly what I am getting at.

I should not claim that every visitor has left the properties in an immaculate condition but there has never been anything which was not simply dealt with during the preparation of the properties for the next visitors. Sometimes the properties are untidy, other times even the towels and bedding are neatly folded and stacked. Breakages have been very minor, usually reported and often replaced by the visitor. No "tenant from hell" - yet!

But the real point is that I can't identify any major differences between people based on their nationality or their occupation. There are little things, like Americans tend to use the dishwashers more than most and therefore leave the crockery and cutlery in spotless condition, sometimes still in the dishwashers.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Paolo, in an earlier mail you said you had taken a booking on a Thursday for the following Saturday: did the full payment show on your account before they arrived or do you demand cash in these circumstances?
(When I have received a last-minute request I say that I will reduce the rent by £25 - to guarantee receipt before they arrive - this is the extra cost of a same-day payment between different banks.)
Best,
Alexia.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alexia,

I talked to the renter a couple of times on the phone on the Thursday, we had a chat about the house and area, and she told me about herself - basically I soon knew for sure that they were honest and reliable so I told her to post me a cheque, which I received on the Monday after their stay started.

If I had had any doubt about them I would have told them to go to a branch of my bank and pay in the week's rental in cash on the Friday before their departure.

(I am an 'absentee' owner by the way).
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Wow! You must be a good judge of character :-) I wouldn't have anyone in my house if I hadn't received the money prior to the start date! I would be just toooo upset if they stole/damaged/wouldn't leave- even the thought of it-for me the worry wouldn't be worth it :-(

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think I will either insist on a Paypal credit card payment, or ask them to pay our housekeeper in travellers cheques/cash on arrival.
She can then post the travellers cheques to our French account.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I have an flex-account with Nationwide and UK guests can and have walked in to their High St branch and deposit cash into my account. It shows up on my internet statement instantly.

Great peace of mind!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Can't they do this with most bank accounts?
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

My NatWest one doesn't show credits until the following morning.

Incidentally Cheques show up immediately too with Nationwide but obviously haven't cleared!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

When I pay into my Nationwide account, the cheques also clear much quicker then my Barclays account. Even a Barclays cheque.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ah ,Ok, I see the difference.Thanks for that-is Nationwide generally accepted to be quicker then? Think I need to open an account :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

Fraise wrote:Wow! You must be a good judge of character :-) I wouldn't have anyone in my house if I hadn't received the money prior to the start date!
I would not recommend this approach as good practice, but I am very confident in my ability to judge character. In this case there was no doubt about the couple, but if there had been I would have asked for payment to my account before they left. The above suggestions would be best practice, or something instant like PayPal for renters from abroad.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Fraise, no fees for purchases made with your debit card abroad either. On the payment front, there's always Paypal of course.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

No fees for taking cash out of ATM's abroad either and you get the bank rate not tourist!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Phew- why haven't we all got accounts??
Or maybe you all have and I'm the only Billy No-Mates?? :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com