Website overhaul, all advice appreciated

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Ellery

Website overhaul, all advice appreciated

Post by Ellery »

Hi all, thank you in advance for taking a look at my site, I'm afraid it may be too much of a mess to present for critique, but would really love some input.

The thing is... I need to decide which "look" to go with, because the last site I created rarely drew people in beyond the first page and I don't want to make that mistake again.

I've included links to two different "front pages" I'm playing with (all though I've made many more variations and am open to trying anything).

1. http://stoningtonboroughvacation.com/
This first link takes you to my current site, which is in transition i.e. some pages are white and in the new style, while others are still very clunky and have not been transformed yet.

Feel free to bring up others, but here are my issues so far...
a. Is the layout too wide and too long?
b. Are the photos to saturated?
c. Is there too much writing?

2.http://web.me.com/annabellmclanahan/Site_2/Welcome.html
I use iweb and today I read about a way to make the navigation bar vertical, which is very exciting to me because I loved those articles Garri clued us into about users following an F pattern when they scan a website. (I can't find his articles at the moment) Anyway, keep in mind that the links on the vertical navigation bar will only lead you back to my original website, thus far. Sorry for the annoyance and hope that makes sense!! Also, if I go with this vertical pattern there is nothing I can do about the links being underlined (yuck!).
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Anna,
The second layout with menu bar on the left is best, clean, fresh and easy to follow. Links are fine as is, they should be underlined, that's how you know they are links! You need something in the heading to say where it is located. "New England" is more important than "Greek Revival" and I would get Connecticut into a subheading somewhere as well. Otherwise at first glance, the casual reader might think they are looking at a house in Greece.

To avoid possible confusion, I would reduce the prominence of the words Greek Revival and put it into the descriptive text, or include in a bulleted list of features. You home feels more like a seaman's cottage to me than anything Greek. I see US homes described as Greek revival that do not remotely remind me of anything I have ever seen in the Greece I know, so you may consider how that phrase can be interpreted, depending on the location of the reader.
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

Hi Anna

Here are my thoughts...

Number One:

It's too wide for most people's browsers. I'd stick to 1024 pixels, or even less.

Do you really want to display your statcounter stats at the bottom? If the number's too low, visitors will wonder why.

I don't think you have too much writing. It looks about right for a home page.

The gallery of pictures looks like it needs a little bit more framing or borders - the pictures look like they are floating

Number Two

This looks the best to me. The layout looks nice.

I'd like to be able to click on the pictures at the bottom of the home page. I do like the tall aspect ratios of these - it adds visual interest.

I'm not familiar with the area and when I look at the home page it's not clear to me where you are or what you offer. You can afford to be a bit more direct here!

For either version - you need to set the html TITLE tag to something short but descriptive, so it shows up in the browser and in search engines

That's it for now!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I only had a quick look but it wasn't immediately clear that it was a holiday let. Could be a house for sale or advertising the area. And definitely get rid of the Greek revival - I had to look hard to make sure it wasn't in Greece. The name of the style of the house is much less important than the property itself. Lovely photos.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Sorry, I didn't mean cottage, it's obviously a town house. I would call it The Sea Captain's House (short version) or "Restored New England Sea Captain's House" (long version). Maybe I read that on your site or I could have made it up, but it seems to fit the area you're in, the look and feel of the house. You must be just about where the Sound merges with the Atlantic, and slightly sheltered by Block Island. So much wonderful seafaring history around there, Mystic Seaport etc. You're also really well located between NYC and Boston. Looks lovely, very attractive. You can't have too much text, as long as you have those lovely photos to break it up.
goosie

Post by goosie »

Hello, generally I like the `clean` lay out of the site

Like others, I thought first of all I was looking at a Greek house (you can tell that many of us are commenting from a European perspective!).

Personally, the first view of the farmer's market doesn't do it for me - at first glance, it looks like you are overlooking a car park. If you are, then actually, a picture of the house itself would be better (and is rather a stunning looking property!).

I think you need to be clearer that this is a house for letting, saying how many it is for and how many bedrooms.

The pictures page took a long time to load on my browser - if I wasn't overly interested in the house I probably wouldn't have waited. I suggest you reduce the number of pictures to give enough detail but not so that it takes a long time to load.

A little bit about the local area on the first page would be helpful - not much, just enough to draw people in.

good luck!
Ellery

Post by Ellery »

Thank you all so much!! This is really helpful. I've now made the second link my official front page, however I'm taking all of your suggestions and rearranging! It's so hard to keep simple.

A-two: I've practically "lifted" your text, it's excellent. We are exactly as you said, at the edge of the Atlantic, that's why were such a big yachting center, it takes so little time for sailers to get out to sea.

Dr. Richard: You make so many good points. Eventually, I'll get savvy and install an invisible stat counter. The first link is called StoningtonBoroughVacation, but I also bought Stoningtonvacationrental from GoDaddy and will probably switch to it, just don't want to offend google. I was about to say I couldn't link the photos to enlarged versions, but have just figured out how to!!! It may be annoying though, as I can't get rid of the "live feed" link, so far.

Margaret: You're so right, it looked like the house was for sale!

Goosie: I agree about that photo, was just convincing myself otherwise. There is a green behind our house that we use for a Farmers Market on Saturdays and then the last commercial fishing fleet (quite small) in Connecticut is beyond that. It's wonderful in person, but so hard to capture in a photo. Also, I removed some photos, I hope that makes them load faster.

I referred to the house as Greek Revival because it represents such a beautiful era of architecture in America, and Stonington is a prime example. I also think that people fall in love with this Village because it is mostly built in that style, whether or not they are of aware it. Still, what I've learned here is that it is just too obscure a reference.

(America was very gung ho! for Greece when it struggled for independence in the early 19th century. A very simple explanation of the style is that the houses are meant to imply a greek temple by facing the pediment forward i.e. the top of the house is a triangle, the pilasters represent columns etc. )

What do you all think of the photo change, from the deck view to the front of house?
Ellery

Post by Ellery »

javascript:emoticon(':shock:') hmm... I apologize if anyone is having trouble looking at my site. I can't make it open to the new page. For the time being, here is another link to the site I'm now working with

http://web.me.com/annabellmclanahan/32_ ... lcome.html
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

It looks great! And you've worked in all the suggestions a treat - I love the photo of the house (great place, btw), but, personally, I would use a photo with some kind of ocean view - as you say in your blurb, it is one of your USPs. The other photo was pretty good, but would be even better if you could retake without the cars... I like A2's suggestion for the new name, btw.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Anna,
You might want to run the new web pages through www.smush.it before finalizing photos. It's excellent for reducing file size of photos without loss of quality, really fast and easy to use, I love it.

Also, I am sure there is a niche rental market for Greek Revival and Colonial architecture that is a key feature of Stonington's charm, but as others have said, you need to get the basics in place first, which is what you are offering, where it is and how it can be rented. Then you can add a page explaining the significance of Greek Revival Architecture in the US, which I would find very interesting to read, but that's the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

I can't get either of your links above to work now, I guess you're still moving things around.

Cake, the most important meal of the day
A-two

Post by A-two »

OK, now I see it. Getting much better! Other quick suggestions:
  • Is it really exactly halfway? If not, don't represent it as such. If it is roughly half, say "about halfway". Actually, you should check that mileage because aren't you a lot closer to Boston?

Replace "owner's" with "owners".

I'd love to know if you have been achieving those rates. Would you mind sharing that information with me by PM?
Ellery

Post by Ellery »

Excellent points!

Boston is 105 miles, while New York is 135 miles so I guess I should put "about" halfway, as you said.

I'll pm you the details, but we absolutely get those rates in late April through September. Although the April stay was unexpected, someone from the Dave Matthews band stayed here for three weeks while they prepped for their summer tour, it was pretty exciting for some of the neighbors, and me! We usually fill about two weeks in May, most of June, and are solid July- August.

This is the first year we've made the house available year round, but as I've said on this forum before, we aren't getting much interest. Even though, I have greatly reduced the winter rates on HomeAway, by offering a two bedroom rental rate. I haven't included those rates on my website, yet.
Gite Guru

search stuff

Post by Gite Guru »

Hi,

taken a quick glimpse at the iweb page and have some comments about how the site will work in search engines.

have to start by saying that iweb is a poor tool to start with if you want to rank highly in search engines. it's built as a fun web publishing tool, not as a tool to run your business.

It uses non web standard fonts, and converts text into images (has done this to some of the text on your page, you'll spot the bit if you click and drag on the text to select it all, it's the bit that won't highlight).

Additionally, the standard navigation is javascript and uncrawlable by search engines meaning the spiders will struggle to get beyond your home page without some custom coding.

Additionally, your site doesn't seem to have any header tags (h1, h2, etc) which search engines use to determine what text is important on the page.

Hate to be the voice of doom if your search ranking is important to you, but you're going to really struggle IMO starting with iweb. If you are hell bent on it, there's a useful article here which talks about some of the things you can do to get iweb optimised for search engines: http://www.ragesw.com/blog/2008/04/12/s ... h-engines/ but i think it might be easier to start again using a search engine friendly tool such as Wordpress.

Interested to hear if anyone has any experiences to the contrary with iweb as a site building tool?

kind regards,

dave
Ellery

Post by Ellery »

Thank you for the input! I've heard that about iweb, and don't have any plans to get it ranked in the search engines.

My short term goal is to be able to put my site on local listings, such as "area guides", blogs about the area, etc. iweb is proving to be a lot of fun. Hopefully, I'll develop a look and key phrases that I can implement someday on a heavy duty platform. But not until I've taken new pictures (that's what I'm really being held back by)! My pics don't reflect the renovations we've done.

In the meantime, I'm trying to learn (from people like you) about rankings, meta tags, and site building in general. :)
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

There are certainly a lot of people on this forum who can help with rankings, meta tags, and site building in general!

There's no substitute for experience for all of these but there are definitely some techniques that you can use here to make your site more successful.