Ski lifts open this weekend - anyone else ?

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Beanie

Ski lifts open this weekend - anyone else ?

Post by Beanie »

Was surprised to receive an email today saying that our little resort will open its ski lifts this weekend as the conditions are 'formidable!'. Quite unheard of for this time of year.

We're keeping fingers crossed that they'll open the resort fully earlier than they're currently stating (20th Dec) as it would help boost pre-Xmas bookings. In the past few years, they've opened up in mid-December, which gave us an extra week which got booked up, but they haven't confirmed that yet, presumably waiting to see how long the snow / weather holds for.

Anyone else in snowy-lands starting to open up ? I'm sure you higher crowd must be opening imminently ....?

:lol:
Martha

Post by Martha »

We are also opening this weekend! Both Les Grands Montets and Les Houches. We have been out there getting everything ready and there was about two feet of snow at valley level - must be brilliant on the tops!

We were only using the picnic table a week or so ago and hadn't brought it in yet...

Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Martha

Post by Martha »

...and the clouds rolled back briefly to show the Aiguilles - totally plastered with snow!

Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Go away! Insanely jealous. :lol:

LMH ski weekend, anyone? No, wait, what am I saying? LMH ski week! Can bring own towels, will not put boots on tables, will empty beer bottles at end of stay...
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great pix, Martha. I had thought you might say that you were opening too. Are you fully open now - i.e. all week - or just for the weekend/s?

We're out ourselves in early Dec to set up (and put decs up) so hopefully they might have the lifts open for the weekend we're there. Haven't told OH my master plan yet as we're supposed to be on DIY duty (plus he's not been signed off from consultant yet following achilles rupture ... oh well, he can always meet me for a spag bol at the mid-station 8)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We are scheduled to open on the 13th December. I think we may open early, but possibly only for the Sat/Sun 6th and 7th. Unfortunately we are both working on the Saturday that weekend, so will have to wait until the 28th for our ski fix. Maybe we can get a little unexpected income from it though.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Skiing opens here this weekend and the Arber is only 1,456m! Not sure that all the lifts will be open but most. We have Americans booked in for 2 nights mid December - one day Prague, one day skiing!
We have 36 beds now so an LMH winter weekend would certainly possible - this area is good for non skiers too.
Snow plough just went past....
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We have 36 beds now so an LMH winter weekend would certainly possible Could be fun?? Could you really put up with us, goats included?

We've got around 60cms just above our village, and perfect conditions nearer 2,000m, with another good dump forecast after the weekend. Lifts open each weekend and then open daily from 13 Dec.

Our(?) current problem is keen biker punters arriving this weekend, and I've just sent them the link to GoatCam and the 7-day forecast and waiting to hear their reaction....

MG
Austria

Post by Austria »

Dump of snow and more to come in Kaprun Austria. With the Kitzsteinhorn glacier http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/news/openedlifts.htm you can ski all year round. With the snows coming now having a few more enquiries, hope these will firm up soon.

Derek
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Goats are always welcome, if of the mountain or giddy variety! Why not, if people want to come we'd love to see you!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gosh, Margaret, can you sneak a rabbit under the bed, too? I wish I had more organising talent....it would be great to have an activity-based LMH get-together. Winter skiing, summer windsurfing? And hang the rentals. :wink:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Not too many windsurfing opportunities here but great walking and mountain biking and lots more.....
Annette Slovenia

Post by Annette Slovenia »

Some ski resorts opened also in Slovenia such as Krvavec, Kranjska gora, Rogla, Mariborsko Pohorje...
Day tickets for ski lifts in Slovenia are between 20 € and 28 €.
http://www.snezni-telefon.si/default.asp
When you want to be in the real center,
come to our apartment in center of Ljubljana!
www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/ljubljana-city/56248
Martha

Post by Martha »

That surprises me actually Annette, do they do an early opening price there? Chamonix is about that at the moment, at 28 euros a day until Dec 21st. It's a good idea I think, get people out for an early break. We're not opening until Christmas though so it's ours all ours!

Couple of pics from opening weekend...

Monsieur:

Blue skies!

Snow is excellent at the moment here though. Beanie, it will be open every day from next weekend - really good! Verbier is open every day now and in included on the pass this year so we've been a couple of times, it was snowing quite hard there yesterday. Hope it continues! How's the snow in Villars?

Goatcam looks good!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Leysin's ski system is open every weekend at the moment, and 'properly' from the 13 December, but I will check when I get out there next Monday. Snow reports have been good!

Our bicycling punters who are there at the moment are doing the best they can - I did warn them December wasn't our prime season for their bikes.....

MG