Allura Direct

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Hells Bells

Allura Direct

Post by Hells Bells »

www.alluradirect.com
This has to be the most user-friendly website I have come across. I used it to book a condo in Whistler last Winter. I know it's no good to most of us, but it's a good example of how a rental listing site should be run. You can enquire in one go for a numer of properties, then pay the deposit online once the dates are confirmed. You are then automatically e-mailed for the balance,which you pay through the site. Payment apparently goes direct to the owner. We could also book extra services online too.
Helen
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Wow- how did you find this? It looks really good. Why can't more sites be so user friendly? I wonder how owners like it?As long as they get their money pretty quickly then I should think it must be a win:win situation? :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Fraise, I discovered it through a fellow poster on the SnowHeads ski forum when I was looking for accommodation for our ski trip. It couldn't have been easier from a renters point of view, and I know the owner's all seem pretty pleased too.
Helen
paolo

Post by paolo »

As an alternative point of view - I actually found this site off-puttingly cluttered with text, most of it there purely for the search engines. Great reams of keywords instead of simple navigation aids. But I didn't go too far into the booking process.

By the way, how do you know all the owners are pleased with the site?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Paolo, just noticed this reply, sorry I haven't replied to you earlier. Through another forum, I know of several advertisers on the site, all of whom are very happy with the bookings they receive through the site. I agree the text could be off-putting, but when you make the booking it really comes good, as the extra services on offer are excellent, discounted ski school, lift passes etc, all bookable through the site.The information provided is accurate. The only similar thing I've noticed this side of the pond are ferry fares on FC, and you have to phone for the booking. I think I'm probably still looking at things from a renters point of view rather than an owners.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Wow- how did you find this? It looks really good. Why can't more sites be so user friendly?
Um, are we looking at the same site? This site looks like a flashback to the internet circa 1997. As a prospective user I would have trouble getting past the home page, so would leave it in split second and go somewhere else.

There's nothing wrong with cluttered sites per se, as long as the clutter is well organised and nice looking.

Here's an example of how to do good clutter...

http://www.stylegala.com/

The layout and presentation in the above site is achieved purely with CSS - no tables! (other than for tabular data, which is what they were intended for)
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Variety of opinions is great!! It just shows what a rag-bag collection of individuals make up the Human race.Brilliant!I still like the site and the clutter didn't put me off!It seemed easy to use,clutter for search-engine sake is not good! Long may our diversity of opinion continue! :twisted:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Garri

Post by Garri »

Fraise, that's the beauty of the internet, we can voice our opinions freely (well, to an extent anyway!)

It makes you wonder though, how many enquiries/bookings accommodation providers would receive from a beautifully designed web site that actually focussed on making holiday-makers' lives easier.

Sort of, why would anyone go and shop in Woolworths when you could shop in Harrods for the same price? i.e. free!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I have to admit that if I clicked into this site my next click would be out. I tried to see what you guys are finding attractive about this site but I just dont get it :?
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I was using it for a specific purpose, I wasn't searching for a location, I knew already where I wanted to stay. It is what happens next that made me like the site so much. You can book immediately online, or mass e-mail the propertied you are interested in. Once the booking is confirmed, payment is easy, just click on your property and enter you reference no. An e-mail reminds you to pay the balance. What was even better was the ability to book ski schools, etc at a discount through the site, all online, and also the discounts available to us in the resort. Any problems and you were contacted by someone who runs the operation in Canada, and a freephone number to call if you needed it. Sorry you don't share my enthusiasm.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

HelenB,

I think the lack of enthusiasm is about the layout and the appearance of the site. I think it is awful. I think it needs a complete re-write to make it attractive as a site. Behind that, you make it sound as though it is first rate.

What do they say? You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Alan
LittleRiverView

Post by LittleRiverView »

Garri

Re http://www.stylegala.com/ and your feedback re CSS for my site - I see exactly what you mean - not only does stylegala.com look great in the browser but from a "developer's" (and I use the term very loosely in my case) perspective the source looks just as attractive in notepad!! :D :D

Regards