Please Critique my site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Renata

Please Critique my site

Post by Renata »

I have started to design another website.
Please tell me what you think.
Only the first navigation column is currently loaded.

thanks,
Renata Gozdziak
ww.Daytona-Vacation-Rental.com
Renata Gozdziak
Chicago Illinois---Daytona Beach Florida
enid

Post by enid »

i like the blue background but I am find the font a little too bold for me; Good luck with the bew site - or bonne chance as they say here!!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Wow! I found myself blinking when the blue flashed on the screen but in a good way,if you see what I mean! I liked the bold font and the comparison,don't know if such an upfront approach might put people off from looking at the more basic property? Just my thoughts. Good luck :wink:
marcus

Post by marcus »

Those menus are brilliant (though a bit slow to load even with our ADSL connection).
I would make the heading picture a bit less high and get more of the menus / content on the front screen, especially the big picture of the 'inn' itself.
I like blue, although I am less sure that the 'light' and 'dark' blue go together, so myself I would tone down the 'lighter blue to be a lighter tone of the dark blue, rather than a different blue - does that make sense?
Overall impact is very good,a and I kept clicking on the rental rates to see if i could afford to come...
marcus

Post by marcus »

in the above I was talking about the blue text / font not the background etc, sorry forgot to say
enid

Post by enid »

I can't see the menu?!!
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

On the whole I loved it though maybe the colours and fonts a little too loud! Not sure if it needs to open in a new page everytime? Lovely place and photos!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Renata,

Thanks for reviewing others' sites! It's not only the right thing to do, but it also reminded me that I hadn't yet reviewed your site. :wink:

To be clear, I'm reviewing the site daytona-vacation-rental.com, which is different from the site linked to by your "www" button.

You've got a lovely top banner -- shows the beach and palm trees and makes it clear that that's the view from within the condo, by showing a bit of the balcony and wall. You might consider a caption for the banner stating that this really is the view from your studio. People are sometimes wary of seeing an image like that and then getting there to find that their particular unit faces the parking lot instead of the ocean. Reassure them! :)

From the title, "Hawaiian Inn Oceanfront Resort" -- I at first wasn't sure whether you were advertising a property in Florida or one in Hawaii. Is that a good thing? I know you probably want to put people in the Hawaii frame of mind, but you might consider adding "Daytona, Florida, USA Vacation Rental" to the end of your page title -- just to make it very clear and add more search engine keywords.
How many vacations do you get a year? Make this one special!
I love this quote! What a wonderful idea to put this on your front page. In fact, I would consider switching text positions (and sizes) between this phrase and the caption "Hawaiian Inn Ocean Front Pool and Patio."

Have you considered using a fixed table width rather than a percentage-based table width? I have a high resolution setting on my monitor, and when my Firefox window is maximized, the page space is large enough that the light-colored central table has extra space on the right, and the top menu isn't centered under the top banner. Also, some of the tables inside your main table are relative as well and look a little stretched when my window is maximized. If you set your table width to fixed, you would avoid that issue, and it would make no difference to people with lower-resolution monitors. However, I should say that you've done a good job with this -- the differences are apparent to me, but it doesn't look horrible even with my window maximized.

I also noticed that what appear to be separate paragraphs are only separated by line breaks in my browser. You are using the <P> tag, and in Firefox that ought to put a blank space between paragraphs, so this must be somehow specified in the stylesheet. Maybe someone else can chime in as to whether this is a Firefox effect or a general effect in all browsers.

Example: what I believe is supposed to look like
The Hawaiian Inn Resort has long been a favorite in the area, known for the largest Oceanfront Pool and Patio in the South Beach of Daytona, known as Daytona Beach Shores.

Hawaiian Tiki Bar and Oceanfront Gazebo await the sun lovers who surround the pool. Guests will be treated to entertainment poolside by several talented artists from the area. Oceanfront hammocks, will invite you to enjoy the warm ocean breezes...
instead looks like
The Hawaiian Inn Resort has long been a favorite in the area, known for the largest Oceanfront Pool and Patio in the South Beach of Daytona, known as Daytona Beach Shores.
Hawaiian Tiki Bar and Oceanfront Gazebo await the sun lovers who surround the pool. Guests will be treated to entertainment poolside by several talented artists from the area. Oceanfront hammocks, will invite you to enjoy the warm ocean breezes...
which to me doesn't look as good.

Lastly, is it the case that the menus are filled in but not yet fully linked to other pages? If so, fine -- if the site is complete, I can't access most of the pages from the menus.

Overall, I think this is a very good start!
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks Vrooje - that's whu I coulmdn't see the menu -Iwa sin the wrong place. Have now looked at daytona-vacation-rental.com and I like this colour scheme much more - and I agree about the menu.
Renata

Post by Renata »

http://www.Daytona-Vacation-Rental.com
I can't believe that I did not put the correct web address in.
Sorry.
Renata Gozdziak
Chicago Illinois---Daytona Beach Florida
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Renata,

A nice site which downloads quickly - a must for those of us still on slow connections!

I like the idea that you have a 'Daytona Events' page, although none of your links aren't working for me (I assume you are still working on these?).

The only other thing I would add is I personally don't like having to scroll from left to right to read the text - but this is a personal view.

My other half is very jealous - he's a big bike fan and would love the chance to visit the bike show! Maybe one day.... :)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Renata,

Here were my first impressions:

1. The pics at the top could be better. They are a little washed out, the weather looks like it is just before or after a storm, and the one on the left isn’t straight.

2. It’s in Hawaii, so I must be in the wrong place, because I want to go to Daytona – next! This does not apply if Hawaiian Inn is so well known that you are only targeting people who know where it is.

3. I would actually take a line from an inner page, adapt it to reflect the location, and use it on the homepage:

"What is so special about our Dayton Beach Condo Rentals?
A Million Dollar View."

4. At the first mention of Hawaiian Inn I would explain that these are Hawaii-themed condos, and why that is a good thing.

5. Between each paragraph there should be a blank line, for ease of reading.

6. I am not crazy about using ‘Inn’ instead of ‘in’ in the text. Inn fact I don’t like it because it looks like perhaps you can’t spell ‘in’!

7. I like the way the left column follows a chain of thought: ‘enjoy the sun, enjoy the sand, enjoy the good life’, and then ends it with a positive call to action: “Ask about our Ocean Walk Resort Units…�

But there should be a mechanism right there for getting in touch with you – email link and phone. Otherwise the moment will be lost.

8. Looks like there will be some good local links and content when you have the site finished.
Paolo
Lay My Hat