worse than I thought!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Thomas,
what about these TV people doing a programme from our point of view?
What a good idea but I don't think it will happen with the present UK culture of protect the criminal and ignore the victim.

Mind you, I thought Sky TV regularly featured similar people on programs like A House in the Sun.

Regards

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

How were your changeovers today? Our cottages were all left very tidy, able to finish cleaning in time to have a swim before the next guests arrive - much appreciated on a day as hot as this!
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

Heaven sent!
Ju

Post by Ju »

We had a really easy changeover yesterday. Just one house changing, the big one which normally sleeps 11. Only 4 people leaving and just 3 arriving. The house was clean, and only 2 of the 5 bedrooms had been used. They hadn't even been in the living room (there is a TV room as well so they used that). The guests at the other property just wanted clean linen, and didn't want me to clean or change the beds. We managed a swim AND a siesta.

Unfortunately this was followed by a very long wait as the guests didn't arrive until 10pm when we expected them at 5pm, so I didn't even get any dinner.

Ju
tansy

Post by tansy »

that is why I now leave keys! No matter what time they say they are always at least an hour later!!

My only problem yesterday apart form the heat was our Americans in our Utah Beach house didn't want to go..tears the lot! They were waiting for me with pate de fois gras to share with me ...at 10 am??? it's forbidden in the States...so they wanted to have their last morsel with me as tehy loved our house so much....my poor cleaners couldn't get on at all...plus I was under pressuer to get to the other house...but so sweet of them - the house immaculate as well!

I wish all our guests were like this...I think we've new friends now :D
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

We had a lovely couple staying in our apartment over Christmas. They joined us in a local restaurant at New Year and we all got on very well.
When they left on New Years day, my husband handed back their security deposit (no we hadn't cashed it, but after reading these posts, will do so from now on!). They mentioned that a window blind had stuck, but said there were no other problems.
When I went to clean I found that every towel, a lovely, almost new, blanket, and a new duvet cover had marks on them where the colour had been bleached out! I think he may have been using a prescription cream on a sore looking neck.
I can't believe that they hadn't noticed that this had happened. He even commented on how nice it was to have such nice big, good quality towels!
Last week he e mailed me to ask me to go to the dentists to request a receipt for the emergency treatment he had when here.
Having returned the deposit, I have just swallowed this and learned from it.I would be interested to know what would other people would have done?
Babnik

Post by Babnik »

Kayley (love the name...old Marillion fan!),

I'd say if he'd have known about the towels, then he'd probably not have contacted you again. Then again some people's cheek never ceases to astound me!

Steve
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Kayley is actually my daughters name. I loved the song and the band too. My youngest child is "Danny", from the old Irish song. All coincidence though. I can assure you that the middle one "Scott", didn't get his name from the Aussie soap!
As 6 towels were ruined as well as the rest, I can't see how he could not have noticed.As soon as I walked in the bedroom, I saw the stain on the duvet. He has said he may book again for the summer. I have refrained from offering the "returners" discount! If he does book again, I will mention the problem at that point. If he needs "old" towels, I have plenty,as we are now using the best of thm in the house. My decorator has used the new duvet cover as a dust sheet.
A-two

Post by A-two »

From what you say, it doesn't sound as if he noticed any of it and is oblivious. Some people really are blind! Maybe his wife noticed, but didn't want to mention it to you and cause him embarassment in a situation that was already far from ideal. So I wouldn't mention it either if he asks to rebook. You say they were a lovely couple, so if all else was good with the rental, then charge full price or even hike the rate $100 if possible to cover the loss (if you don't publish rates online).

I don't think you have to go running around getting him receipts for his treatment, this is well beyond the call of duty, but given the exceptional circumstances that he went to an emergency dentist, I don't consider the towel damage as negligence, disrespect, or assume that there would be a repeat. More likely, it's a case of "the price of doing business" and all that.

On the other hand, I can't imagine any treatment by a dentist that could have caused damage to 6 towels and a duvet. Are you sure this was the cause and not something else? To be on the safe side, I would probably substitute old towels next time around. If they complain the towles are not as good as last time, you can give them the reason at that time, making a joke of it even, but I don't think this is something that you want to confront him with head on in advance of another booking. It's only going to cause him embarassment and you may lose the booking from making a "big deal" out of it. Better to hide the costs in the new charges and make sure you check the place thoroughly before releasing deposit funds next time.

Just my 2 cents... :)
Waves from America
aillis

Post by aillis »

We had a filthy family the floor was covered in food dropings they couldn't have cleaned the house once in the 2 weeks they stayed anyway I didn't keep the deposit but they contacted us to book again for this year so I said fine but the price has gone up £200 a week so they booked.These people actually run a small hotel the mind boggles