I'll show you mine as you've shown me yours!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Gite Guru
Hooray for self taught geeks, but sadly I don't agree in regards to Wordpress. I found it impossible to get started and frustrating not to be able to find simple instructions. That won't put me off trying again now that my general computer knowledge has improved, but it will still be a struggle.

I think you underestimate your ability to understand technical info, of which I believe men are generally better, although I have to say that a few female members seem to have very good technical abilities too.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
Windy

Post by Windy »

...which I believe men are generally better....,
Now why would I never have dared type those words :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

With Wordpress, you just have to have time to sit down and work things out, the wordpress.org forum is also very useful and GGuru's blog and videos make things even easier, as do MG's posts - they are very helpful. It isn't rocket science and becomes easier once you have managed a few things.
I'm don't agree that that men have the monopoly on technical ability - Brooke is one of the most technically capable members on this forum and she has the ability to advise without being patronising.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

:lol: Rock on, girlies!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

La Vache

I didn't say they have a monopoly on technical ability, you did. In the main men, have more technical savy for want of a better word, then women.

Let us know next time your
Plumber
Builder
Surveyor
Architect
Carpenter
Engineer
Quantity Surveyor
Website builder
Car maintenance person
Computer repair person
and many more is a female or when females out number men in these fields and hundreds more.
Chianti

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Chianti,
Maybe it is because men have more time on their hands because they generally have a woman around to bring up the children and do the housework. Having run my gite business just about single handedly for the last 6 years, I can safely say that plumbing, carpentry, computer repairs and even electrics are not that difficult once you know understand how things work and you aren't afraid to do them.
I'm not a feminist and I'm happy to admit that some things are physically difficult for women, but I don't agree that as far as technical jobs are concerned that is true.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

La Vache
I'm another who's a multi-tasker but I'm talking civil engineering, electronic engineering, real technical wizardry and the fact remains most of theses jobs are filled by men.

It's not true that most women stay home and look after the children, most work now, so much so here in Italy, that they are not having children and the birth rate has gone down alarmingly. Even women with country estates and a home in London had jobs. A few years ago it was economical for some women to have a nanny while they went out to work.
Chianti

Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Maybe it is because men have more time on their hands because they generally have a woman around to bring up the children and do the housework. :lol: :lol: :lol: LV, you tease.

In a previous life, as a pilot, I was more than impressed by the increasing numbers of women who joined the profession. They were highly competent, technically clued up and scarily organised. You could argue, of course, that they had to be exceptional to get into a traditional male profession, and push their way through the glass ceiling.

Despite the above, I remember one or two young mothers, exhausted by young kids on their days off, could gratefully kip their way across the Atlantic for 7 or 8 hours at a stretch.....

MG
paolo

Post by paolo »

Can we get back to Jim's site now? :)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Windy

Post by Windy »

Can we get back to Jim's site now?
Quite Paolo!

You know, a woman could never have taken that pool photo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Garri wrote:
... whilst I agree about WordPress, it's a steep learning curve to get it to do what you want ...
I looked closely at WP (and other options) and I suspect that I could eventually have built a site using it with a lot of time and effort. But I'm a rookie builder, a slow learner and not particularly intuitive with such things. And, as so often, time is of the essence when I can spend my energy more usefully and profitably elsewhere.

Men and women: I'm in awe of owners like RR who built her website from the ground up, using the equivalent of sand and cement.

Jim
Last edited by Jimbo on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

... and with paws!!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Men and women: I'm in awe of owners like RR who built her website from the ground up, using the equivalent of sand and cement.
Me too..........twubble is I got a man to do mine :oops: ...........

a special one at that :D
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Quote You know, a woman could never have taken that pool photo

Windy sadly, I do know a woman who can, a neighbour, and sh'es not even a paid professional. I've seen her photos on Flickr and so has everyone else, as they get masses of attention and awards. Her skill is mouth droppingly good and it makes me green with envy.

Jimbo I too am in awe of those like RR & Vrooge who actually understand what they're doing and agree the ones time is better spent elsewhere with the more important tasks, apart from building just a simple but effective website. One of the more important tasks might be capturing good photos as your website proofs how effective they can be.
Chianti

Windy

Post by Windy »

Windy sadly, I do know a woman who can, a neighbour, and sh'es not even a paid professional. I've seen her photos on Flickr and so has everyone else, as they get masses of attention and awards. Her skill is mouth droppingly good and it makes me green with envy.
Chianti - I WAS joking you know :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: