I'll show you mine as you've shown me yours!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Windy

Wasn't sure, but bet again that there are still more professional male photographers than women, although women are making inroads in the profession.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
paolo

Post by paolo »

This thread is for Jimbo's website review. There is now another thread for men/women discussions:
viewtopic.php?t=8087
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Windy

Post by Windy »

Sorry Paolo :oops:

Does this mean I get coal in my stocking AGAIN!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

If so, please may I have some in mine, loads of it.
Chianti

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Will Rogers wrote:
A man only learns in two ways - by reading and by association with smarter people.
I’ve attempted to address many of the original criticisms of my site and added more material. If any anybody can spare a little time to take a further look, as always I’d appreciate your comments.

e-richard wrote:
A single level menu may feel longer, but it lets your visitor see at a glance, all that is available at this website.
Agreed but it seems that it can’t be done with this software. You have 10 items in a menu stack, more can only be made visible by flyouts or by rotating the main stack. The arrows that indicate rotation are tiny and easily missed.

Gite Guru wrote:
I know it's early days but:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ar ... =firefox-a

Looking a tad more encouraging ...

www.rosieregites.com

Jim
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Jimbo
The print still can't be read easily and the row of print at the bottom of your Homepage can't be read at all but the print under the photo of the child on the Homepage, when it's opened is perfect. It looks a slightly different font and shade of green.

I love that photo & the one of the dog, but don't think it works well overlapping the pool on that side, can't it go down the other side?
Chianti

Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Looking great Jimbo but would agree that the links at the foot of the page need to go up a notch in size.

Super idea, the 'At a Glance', as someone else remarked I think.

There is still the problem on my computer with the links overlapping onto the supporting text.

Finally, and I can't believe it's the fault of the photographer, but is anyone else finding the enlarged pics in the gallery a little less than sharp? :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Like Frankenstein’s monster, the beast lives ...
First booking yesterday courtesy of our new website. Only a week in the middle gite in June but a big bonus in this difficult season. And, as the new site was mostly about supporting our existing advertising on commercial listing sites, it was pleasing that it was also 'out on the street' and doing a bit of business in its spare time.

So, this is a big thank you to everybody here who helped me to knock the freshly-scrubbed infant into shape back in December. And, hopefully, an encouragement to anybody hovering on the brink of creating their own site. Go for it.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Congrats Jimbo - great blog too! Deffo the way to go, especially with writing skills such as yours.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
pete

Post by pete »

Well done for your first direct booking, and well done for the site, it looks good, loved the picture gallery of the Dordogne, made me remember all the holidays we had there.

I hope you feel proud of what you have done, it is hard, whichever route you take for building your first website and a lot of spirit to put it on a forum for advice but the finished (never really finished are they)product obviously meets the objective.

I do think these days people expect gites and villas to have there own websites even if they have found them originally through booking agencies,

best wishes

pete
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

First booking yesterday courtesy of our new website
Hoorah, good for you Jimbo!!
Not surprised, your website [and youre accommodation] is great :D
First of many Im sure!! :D
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Teaching a grandmother to suck eggs time:

I presume you checked your web logs to determine how they got to your site. Was it the result of a search, or was it a click through from a listing site or blog or even twitter ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

or even twitter ?
:shock: you wash your mouth out Richard!! Jimbo doesnt do that :shock:

:wink: :D
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Those kindly members who helped me to build my site may recall that I started with a moody front page shot of a guy fishing on the Dordogne plus a block of text and finished with a big and busy pool shot plus pix of our gites. Along the way (and on other threads) there was discussion about the pros and cons of 'people pix' of rental sites.

Received this email from American family:
One thing that attracts me to your cottages is the photo of your pool with all the kids playing in it; our kids do like to be with others during vacation …
Of course, one swallow doesn't make a summer (and maybe a hundred punter have run screaming) but I'm pleased with this endorsement. Thanks to everybody for steering me onto the path of righteousness!

Jim
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I agree, not everybody wants to spend their holidays in isolation. There is compromise which stops a long way short of a holiday camp set up!