Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tony has come up for air!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tansy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Tony has come up for air!! Reply with quote

Tony is posting away on the site..we're still alive!!

So come everyone get your tuppence in...my thoughts are :

Is there a chance of text wrapped around the pictures - so home page should be a picture of the sunrise (Utah Beach) and the other beach as now (St Germain) then you click on the picture to go on through to about each house?

Places of interest the Normandie logo is lost up in Laymyhat link, site score etc....do you think I need more text on each place?

On the home page could I have a map, also showing where we are? With possibility to click on the locations through to the individual houses? So on home page 2 photos + map...........perhaps a collage of pictures to show WW2 and the area - what do you think.... too messy?

No calendar link showing on list....just in the text of the individual houses - is that how you want it?

On St Germain house - replace the pictures with the new ones - and make it text wrap round instead of the big gaps all round the photos. Could this be done on all the photos for everything?

Any other thoughts folks?...Paolo no doubt will be sharpening his pencil to edit my clumsy wording...Brooke no doubt will have some great techie observations...
paolo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking better, I like the map but I think it is too big in relation to the rest of the page.

Homepage. I wouldn't run the two similar beach shots together, I would put a house pic in between them.

With a page like this which has to talk about two different houses it is easy to lose the reader so I would think about making lots of ways to move quickly to one of the houses from within the text. You could hyperlink from 'Which do you prefer, sunrise or sunset', 'one on the West Coast with the other on the East Coast.' 'The West Coast house...' and so on.

As a potential renter I would like to see more pictures of both houses. Here we are seeing less than you do on the average rental listing site - we should be seeing more so that you can say to enquirers: have a look at my own site for more pics and info.

I wouldn't worry about whether the shell logo is lost - effectively whatever is at top left of the page is your logo.

Places of interest. I'd like to see a more personal page like this one:
http://www.villaemmanuelle.com/25756.html
or ( Embarassed ):
http://www.menerbesvilla.com/provence.htm which looks a mess but means well.

I/you/we need to write the intro box for the homepage too...
vrooje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee, Paolo is so modest. Of course his page is incredibly impressive. I like the Villa Emmanuelle one, too!

I agree that the map is a bit large. It seems like it would be fine to make it a bit smaller -- the text could still be the same size.

I'm having a bit of an alignment problem with the text and pictures... here are a couple of screenshots, for examples.

As an aside, Tansy, if you'd like a floor plan photo tour (or two), I'd be happy to do that -- take some of the pressure off of Tony!
tansy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke - I'll take you up on that...I was also wondering could you do a floor plan map of place of interest.... if you see what I mean?

We have so much round here it gets confusing...all the places I have listed I could point out on the map to help folk plan their day - would it work?

Thank you so much for the offer - let me know what you want.

All the best Tansy
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tansy,

I think that would be an excellent idea. A local map with little arrows leading to pictures of points of interest, views, et al. Seems to me it could be done in exactly the same way as the floor plan.

Alan
vrooje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right -- that is an excellent idea! I'd be happy to help. Smile

I would need a gif or jpg of the map of interest, as well as images of your floor plans. The floor plans don't have to be a finished version, but the map probably ought to be. If you don't have images of these, I could PM you my fax number and you could fax them to me. It's in the US, though, so it would be a toll call.

After that, I'd need the photos you want to show with the plans/maps! That'd be enough to start.

Once I receive them and go as far as I can without input, I'll start a new thread here and we can continue the discussion there...
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke,

I do think you have come up with something of real value.

Seems to me it could replace something I always find rather boring - the photo gallery. It's almost interactive. "Where do you want to go today?" is my reaction to it.

I don't want to get too excited but I am taken with the potential.

Regards

Alan
vrooje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!

I only wish I could somehow package it and make it easy for everyone. The how-to is rather long and I'm afraid people will be put off by it.

Funny thing is, it was my client who suggested the little clickable triangles -- so I have to give him credit for it! Smile
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke,

OK! The coding is rather verbose but that is the way of HTML in any case. On the other hand, the coding is very repetitive so it is easy to follow and amend, line by line.

If something is worth doing, and I think this is, it is worth doing properly and it is worth taking the time in doing it.

Regards

Alan
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke,

A further thought. An availability calendar which doesn't take up much room on the page, doesn't need a link to another site, doesn't need a pop-up window. The months listed down the left, individual months appearing on the right. The "month" files could be data files, e.g. MS Excel? Easy to maintain, size, colour, etc.

Regards

Alan
enid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the url for me again please?
enid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops - found Paolo's sticky so I've got it now.
livinginitaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Yes, Tony has resurfaced ..... although only sporadically! Reply with quote

It's been a long 'work in progress' (sorry Tansy) .... but things seem to be 'cracking on' again. I was hoping to get the wording and 'fine tuning' done prior to my relocation, but as is often the case .. 'the best laid plans' etc!

I have to admit, that I really am trying to act as an impartial 'website builder', rather than my usual 'website designer'. This is because, being the person who is putting the things on the page, obviously, I have quite an influence over the final look, layout, feel, etc, etc ......... and I really don't want to overstep the mark.

If i'd wanted to build a site for free, I could have just contacted Tansy and, with a few details, put together a 'reasonable' site within a few days. However, my (and i'm sure Paolo's) 'designs' for the project was that it should be a group effort. I'm a firm believer in 'no man is an island', and that in order to learn and progress, we should share, discuss and develop ideas with the hope that we will all gain from the experience.

... but i digress!

Anyway, things certainly seem to be 'back in focus' ...... some excellent ideas from Brooke (I love the floorplan concept!, any URL's where i can view?).

Alan, take a look at John Del Farro's work at jacplace.net. From what I can gather (though i've not actually tried it!), you can fully customise the layout to the design you specify.

Right, I'll get on with shrinking down the map and 'Mozilla-ising' the site forthwith!

Nice to be back Smile
vrooje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

Sure! I posted about the floor plan tour at http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=830 if you'd like to check it out.

I swear, though, I didn't think this was an original idea!
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

Quote:
Alan, take a look at John Del Farro's work at jacplace.net.

Would you post the full web address please?

Alan
How to build your own personal website from scratch