Wearing Helmets

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Beanie

Wearing Helmets

Post by Beanie »

Just wondered how many of you, or your family, who venture onto the slopes either on skis or board wear a helmet?

We ski and don't wear helmets, although are thinking about doing so this season. Most of our boarding friends do as it seems far more common for boarders, for some reason.

I've noticed over the past few years that all children are wearing them, along with their parents, but skiers without children still don't seem to be wearing them as much as boarders / families are.

Would be interested in polling if you do or don't and if you ski or board. Plus any recommendations for a good brand/model as I think we'll be investing in them when we next go out.

Beanie
goosie

Post by goosie »

interesting question - our little ones will probably go skiing for the first time next year and they will be wearing helmets, but I hadn't thought about it for us. I suppose if they do, we should too!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Beanie,

Thanks to MG's seriously efficient last-minute-nab-a-local-chalet service, we've just come back from a superb skiing hol in Leysin and your neck of the woods. Fantastic snow, blue skies, ginormous platters of rösti, couldn't have asked for more. But your comment caught my attention as we were also surprised by the huge number of hard hatters - on skis and boards. OH and I (skiing) were definitely in a very small unhelmeted minority. The rablets ski with headgear or not at all.

In fact the pistes were dotted with notices exhorting you to equip yourself with "respect" and a "casque" (helmet). Both excellent Swiss ideas. I really can't see myself ever skiing with a casque, but accept that may be a rather foolhardy attitude (I'd never ride without a hard hat, although over here in France, many people still do). Wonder if helmets are catching on in the French ski resorts, too?

As for recommended brands....well, we saw some seriously chic stuff knocking around the boutiques in Villars and Gstaad, Beanie, so you should be spoilt for choice - and sales on soon? :lol:

Happy New Year, all.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Rocket Rab wrote:
I really can't see myself ever skiing with a casque …
In the construction industry, there was tremendous resistance to the introduction of hard hats and other safety equipment. Even when helmets were made compulsory, workers often refused to wear them. However, the simple expedient of making the paying of compensation when a worker was involved in an accident dependent on the worker having been wearing the correct safety gear at the time, changed that overnight.

In this ‘risk-free’ world, I imagine that it won’t be too long before insurance companies and ski resort owners fall in line and everybody will be forced to helmet up on the slopes. Once the 'voluntary' notices start to appear, the big stick of compulsion isn't usually far behind.

Jim
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Interesting comments guys. I share Rab's reluctance to don a helmet, but with more and more stories about people being wiped out, I just wonder if it's worth considering (there are some quite chic little numbers out there these days too).

Rab's mentioned on another thread that our area is quite low-key when it comes to 'hairy' skiers and that is true. However, we have 5 big international schools over there and I was bowled into by a very small lad at about 30 mph and he still got me off my feet. Large numbers of school children can be a dangerous grouping, in my experience, as they're often out to compete and show-off to the teacher.
:roll:

Great to hear you had such a good time Rab. Am v. envious of the conditions you had over there (best snow in 40 years) and am hoping they hold out for another couple of weeks when we go. At least our Christmas and NY guests have no complaints. :lol:

Beanie
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

We hadn't really thought about wearing helmets until we went to Whistler, where the majority of people were wearing them. Didn't really fancy the idea but decided it made sense. There's a vast array of helmets available at all sorts of prices, but you really do have to try them and see which is most comfortable, so there's no point in recommending any particular brands. You can't just go on price - and colour is irrelevant! Having bought them we wouldn't be without them now. They're very light and don't impede your field of view at all. Although they keep you warm, they're not hot in sunny weather. They're brilliant with goggles as they stay in position properly.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Yes, good point about trying them on first as different models do feel different. I remember that from when we went shopping for one for our boarding friend last year. Will avoid Snow & Rock mail order then. Would rather pick them up here than in Villars though as more pricey there (and sfr not great).

I think it was Andamatt (sp ?) in Switzerland which last year introduced wardens with radar guns on the slopes to speed-trap people and then either banning or fining them. They were doing a year's trial and it would be interesting to hear how that went. Good old Switzerland ! Can you imagine the relaxed Italians introducing such a thing in their resorts 8)

Beanie
Austria

Post by Austria »

My wife and I don't wear them but our children do.

I think it is just a matter of time really before we all are, it is similar to the introduction of seat belts in cars i think.

We all think nothing about wearing a seat belt for every journey.

:idea:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I really can't see myself ever skiing with a helmet

But then again, I could be persuaded otherwise.
Martha

Post by Martha »

It's a topic that rages on the ski forums, though as you note, less of a big deal for snowboarders.

The reason, I suspect, is that it really makes sense to wear one when you learn to board, as there's a lot of falling over involved, so people tend to start out with them and be used to it. Learning to ski involves far fewer slams so it's less important.

I went about a year without it - mostly because I had a really nice hat at the time :) but went back to it after someone was killed by hitting a tree at a US resort I was staying at

I wear the lid all the time now for both. I've hit my head quite hard about four times - twice when out of control beginners collided with me, once when I fell over for no apparent reason at all (too much vin chaud?) and once catching an edge at speed.

It's catching on in Europe now - I used to get the occasional open sneer from some French skiers but haven't done for years. In the US it's always been more popular. Plus you don't get snow in your goggles when you put them up!

The main thing when buying is to try on loads and loads. You can adjust the fit with pads to an extent but it can take a long time to find the right shape for your head, depending on how weirdly shaped it is - in my case, very!

Don't forget to take your goggles with you (or borrow the same model from the shop) as not all goggles fit well with all helmets. There should be a small gap around them so they don't steam up, but not so big that you get a cold forehead.
Although colour is irrelevant, if you don't like it, you won't use it, so if the shop is out of stock in the color you want, it's worth phoning around. Covent Garden is good as there are a load of shops quite close together.

Glad you had a good time rr! :)
and hello and happy new year everyone! :D
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I used to get the occasional open sneer from some French skiers

Crazy, isn't it? But you'll be the one who laughs last. I've had similar reactions trail riding here in France - a hard hat? But that horse never bucks or shies! Yeah, tell me about it. I've done the trip to hospital.

Anyway, colour - agree that it does have its importance, Martha. Well, for some anyway. I just don't enjoy wearing/using things I don't actually like, even if their primary application is functional. So treat yourself to something you'll be proud to wear :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

The fundamental problem about my appearance now is me, and not what I wear! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have tried and failed miserably to buy a helmet. We always wear them when cycling, and as we became more adventurous on our skis, we decided to purchase helmets. My husband was successful in his search,and wears it on off piste excursions. I didn't find one, but am far less adventurous than he is. On 29th December, after a gentle first days skiing, nothing more difficulat than a red, and returning on a blue to the bottom of the pistes, my hubby was hit by another skier in the back and shoulder, and his neck was broken. Thankfully, he is now home, has had surgery, and apart from some pins and needles in his left arm, a very wierd voice, and a plate in his neck is on the (longish) road to receovery. However, I don't think wearing his helmet would have made any difference to the injury, as there was no suggestion of concussion or an impact to the head. will it make me search more thoroughly for one? I find them constricting, and the loss of hearing when wearing one unacceptable, so I am still undecided.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel ... 531234.ece

''New helmet law in the Alps after spate of deaths''
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Interesting article - thanks beady-eyed Big Sis.

We're leaving the Alps tomorrow and have to say we've seen some incredible speeds whilst we've been here (it's a big area for downhill ski racing)

There was a 24-hour charity ski race here last weekend - some of the racers were doing well over 75/80 mph. Fortunately the race slopes were separated from the rest of us mere mortals, but I wouldn't like to think what would happen if a racer were to catch an edge at those speeds.

Beanie
Last edited by Beanie on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.