Wearing Helmets

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Windy

Post by Windy »

but I’ve seen increasing numbers of mothers and older men wearing helmets.”
That'll be me then!

Got mine this year as I went off piste a bit. It kept me warm, hid my grey hair, didn't make me deaf, and gave me somewhere to keep my gloves at lunch.

£70 well spent IMHO.

I think it'll end up like seatbelts or motor bike helmets.

Most of us will wonder why we didn't realise how obviously sensible they are, and it will give that Clarkson bloke something to complain in an exaggerated fashion about on the repeats of Top Gear on Dave for the next 20 years.

Going to buy one for Mrs W in the sales too
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

HelenB wrote:
I don't think wearing his helmet would have made any difference to the injury, as there was no suggestion of concussion or an impact to the head.
I’d imagine that careful supervision of skiers would have far more impact on reducing injuries than wearing a helmet but, as neither resorts or skiers would welcome this, the helmet is a symbol that safety concerns are being taken seriously.

Using my construction analogy, over half of site deaths and injuries are caused by falling from height. Eye, skin, back and crushing injuries are common, as is being run over by giant machines. Wearing a hard hat only protects workers from a smack on the head and yet the helmet has become the premier symbol of safety in the industry. It’s probably too cynical to suggest this might be because it’s visible, cheap and requires no expensive training or skilled supervision. On small sites with less scrupulous contractors, a helmet is often the only safety equipment worn.

Jim
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

I bought a helmet for the first time last year after 5 years without one. I'm not the craziest skier in the world and like to sleep in my own bed at the end of the day rather than a hospital bed so take the cautious approach ....most of the time! :P Mind you, like Martha I think one of the big dangers with skiing is a collision with someone who is skiing to fast and probably too fast with their ability. Last year, a child died in Bad Gastein after a high speed collision with an adult. The kid was going too fast at an intersection with two pistes. There are loads of 'SLOW' signs there but paid no attention. The child died of head injuries and WAS wearing a helmet! The adult who was also wearing a helmet was in a coma. Scary stuff. :shock:

I create LOADS of heat when I do any sport, even on a freezing cold piste! I bought a helmet with plenty of ventilation and it still didn't help. However I wear it anyway because if I crash or crash into someone, hopefully it'll help.

Cheers and ski safe!

Kersh
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

What terribly sad news about Natasha Richardson. Probably a 'freak' accident and a 0.000001% of it happening to many people but we're off to look at helmets this weekend before going out again next week.

Beanie
Martha

Post by Martha »

Awful - a real tragedy. As you say, it sounds like a complete freak accident but I think it's made a lot of people reconsider helmets again.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

We've just come back from St Anton and the vast majority of both skiers and boarders, of all ages, were wearing helmets.The balance has really shifted towards helmets over the last couple of years. I don't think it will be long before the Lifties start turning you away if you're not wearing one, and/or it will be a requirement of your ski insurance.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Have noticed the same in the Swiss Alps this week (or perhaps I'm just looking out for them more ...).

London was cleared out of helmets, as they are over here, but then it is late in the season. Will start looking early next.

Beanie
victoriac

Post by victoriac »

I used to race with University so I'm used to wearing a helmet, but we're definitely seeing a lot more people with them each season.
I managed to put a hefty dent in mine at the beginning of this season and am very glad that it wasn't a dent in my forehead, so I won't be going back to my furry head band any time soon! (Shame - I do miss it! :D )
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Well, a year on from this thread starting and we finally picked up a couple of helmets today. London was already getting really low on stock of the ones we wanted (Giro G10 and G9) but we managed to bag a couple in Ellis Brigham.

Neither of us are particuarly thrilled about wearing them but feel it's about time we should, especially with stories being relayed here and elsewhere and Helen's poor hubbie (who fortunately is back to his super-human feats again). We'll miss our various beanies and pompom hats collected over the years, though.

One good thing was that we could use our 10% voucher for Ellis Brigham from our Ski Club membership, so saved £20. We forget that the SCGB offer quite a few discounts off of UK shops (such as Blacks, Fat Face, Cotswold, Snappy Snaps, Millets, Bolle (goggles) and certain Snow and Rock items) as well as in resorts. We let our guests know which ski hire shops offer discounts off of equipment with a membership card in our town. Our resort isn't large enough to have a SCGB rep / ski guide but they're always good to hook up with as free to members. I think that the membership soon pays for itself, especially if there's someone in your family who's under 25 and can therefore qualify for the £25 p.a. membership and still enjoy all the discounts :lol:

Anyone else finally bitten the helmet bullet this year ?

Beanie (beanie-less :( )
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I finally got one at the end of last season, and wore it every day when I was out this year. Hubby already had a helmet when he had his accident, but wasn't wearing it that day,as we were just skiing some easy pistes on our first day. We discussed this with some doctor friends, one of whom concluded that it probably wouldn't have stopped the neck injury, but as hubby doesn't remember the accident, he might have been able to if he'd been wearing it. Not sure what good that would have done though.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

My son is going skiing with the school at half-term, and helmets are compulsory for all pupils (we have no say in the matter).
Our local skiwear/skateboard shop in Uckfield rents out helmets at £10 a time. We went a couple of weeks ago and he was fitted for one.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I think that a helmet be it on the slopes or on a bike is always a good thing although it does not protect in every situation.
To come back briefly to Natasha Richardson's tragic accident, a thing to point out is that in Mont Tremblant the local hospital does not have a emergency trauma unit for operations and you have to be lifted or driven to Montreal.
In any accident you have to act quickly to get expert medical attention and not just "wait and see". Every minute counts.
Stefann

Post by Stefann »

I don't use helmet either, but for kids it is good to have it....even though kids when they fall they tend to get out of it easier than adults because of their hight and weight, but in case that someone hits them from behind it is better to make them wear helmet.