Renting out the place next door - maybe?

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

What wise words! :lol: Where do you dig these quotes up from Jimbo?!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Where do you dig these quotes up from Jimbo?!
I read books. As a snapper, I've spent much of my life waiting for things to begin, or for machines to be repaired, or for an unpleasant site manager to recover from his tantrum that he hasn't been informed (in triplicate) that I was coming. I escape into a book and let events take their course!

Jim
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I rent out my home (as do many of my friends) and have also 'managed' rentals for neighbours when they've decided to escape the August heat and my take on it would be similar to both Margaret and Jimbo.

Once you have the practicalities sorted (and whether they like or not once people hand over money it is a business arrangement in their eyes), the emotional aspects of having someone in your home shouldn't be overlooked.

Can they live with having to get things upto standard; after all this isn't a home exchange. If people are paying over money then they should expect a well maintained, clean environment with 'personal' effects removed.

They also have to ask themselves could they live with a stain made by someone other than themselves that they have to look at every day! Or how about an Bessies heirloom vase having been knocked over accidently?
You won't know how they'll feel about it until it happens and it's a learning curve for them. Like Jimbo, my neighbours also decided they couldn't cope with the hassle factor (getting it upto scratch) nor the after effects of having strangers stay.

I'd be very wary MG unless you're absolutely sure they fully know the consequences. Even seemingly 'nice' people have accidents or live below the standard your friends would expect and it wouldn't be right to expect them to be extra careful just because it was a home (I wish!! :roll: )

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!