Discounts for July and August - Yes or No?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Marc

Discounts for July and August - Yes or No?

Post by Marc »

Hi everybody

This is my first season in the Gite and Chambre d’ hotes business and I am in a bit of a dilemma regarding bookings for July and August and I would really appreciate some help, suggestions, feedback or advice from the members of this forum.

My property is located in the Aveyron and I have 3 gite apartments and 2 Chambre d’ hotes. I am currently advertising with French Connections and some free websites.

I have just received 2 cancellations each of 2 weeks in July and August. This now means that I have a total of 11 weeks spread between the 3 gites. My dilemma is this, should I now offer a discount on the free weeks that I remaining? If I do offer a discount, what sort of discount should I offer? Should I just hold my resolve and wait to pick up any late bookings that may arise.

I have to admit that I am loath to cut my prices but this is preferable to having the accommodation empty during the busiest time of the year.

I only started to advertise with French Connections in the middle of January and I have received booking as a result of being on their site. I have done quite well with bookings ‘out of season’ and we have had a steady stream of guests from April through to October.

Thank you

Marc

www.yourgite.com
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

I am not sure about the French Market but I find that these weeks can be guaranteed to fill at the full price for me. Last year I did offer discounts as it was my first season also and I was not sure or the business or how successful it would be. I wish I had held firm though and made the max money over this period as the amount of enquiries I received after the fact was unbelievable and I was kicking myself.
Always Learning
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Marc,

I think it is probably too early to start offering discounts yet? If you have already booked non-peak season then people are looking at your property and liking it so your advertising medium and prices (for the off season) sound OK.

Have you checked to make sure your peak season prices are competitive? If they are, then I would stick it out for a while longer although I know you are probably feeling a bit anxious as this is your first year.

Don't worry - chill out!
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
tansy

Post by tansy »

No..hold on there is ALWAYS enquiries...as an example....husband in a panic because wife thought he'd booked & he's forgotten!!

Keep your cool & get onto other pay web sites...first year we advertised in June & filled the whole school holidays!

Good luck!
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Did my first discount (for a so-called friend) NEVER AGAIN

See this

viewtopic.php?t=746
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ah, yes, there is always the apparent fact that people who request discounts are often less desirable as tenants. If you're offering the discount without anyone asking, though, that might be different.

Either way I agree with the others -- hold off for a little while, especially if the now-unbooked weeks don't start until the end of July.

FC does give two free special offers a year... I don't know how these now work, but you used to just type in the special offer as text; if that's still the case you could make a full-price special offer by giving away a free welcome pack or some other gimmick. That would get you listed on the special offer lists, but not drop the price. I've never done it, though, and have no idea whether it would work.

Good luck!
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Marc,
have you thought about newspaper advertising? There is another thread on this, but I had a cancellation for the last week in July last year and placed an ad in the weekend Telegraph and had no end of enquiries. I guess it depends on how much you charge for your gites, I paid £75 for the ad and got £1000 for the weeks rental, so it was worth it. I didn't have any enquiries from putting my property in the 'special/last minute offers' on FC or any other advertising sites.
This year, I am, however, still getting daily enquiries for August 2005, so there are still people looking for properties.
I think your prices are very reasonable and I know you haven't asked for comments on your website, but I think if you went into a little more detail on the accomodation side of the gites (how many bedrooms etc.) and gave a few more photos, interior and exterior, this may help sell the property better. Please don't think me rude, but there are a couple of other minor points. I don't understand how a pool can be 'slightly heated', either it is or it isn't?? And the word 'tarrifs' should be spelt 'tariffs'.
Your place looks lovely, I'm sure you won't have any problem selling the cancelled weeks.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marc,

Everyone is being very supportive and I am too. It's been a somewhat quiet year for enquiries and bookings but I am getting quite a lot for July and August right now.

I would say, "don't panic, stick with it and your weeks will fill".

Regards,

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Marc,

I agree with the above, particularly if you are not off the beaten track, because you will pick up bookings on the basis that your competitors are full up.

I would also splash the cash - one paid listing site is not enough, especially for your first season. Now is the time to pay for at least 4 sites, and then next year you can 'trim the fat' and keep the ones that performed for you.

Also, if you have not taken advantage of the 3-month free trial on www.holidaylets.net, I would definitely recommend doing that, as this is a 'proper' site, and it does provide enquiries. Don't count on totally free sites delivering the goods, they are free for a reason.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I agree with everyone else, and with Paolo's comments about additional listing sites (particularly as I have been extremely disappointed with FC!).

I would also recommend the following:
holiday-rentals - they were offering a 3-month money-back guarantee when I joined with them in May (which is almost the same thing as a free trial!), and since signing up with them I have had 3 enquiries, all of which have converted into confirmed bookings.

VisitFrance (when I joined them 2 years ago they were offering a 3-month trial period, not sure if they still do), but the point is they do have a "late availability" facility where you could advertise your free weeks.

Good Luck - and hold your nerve!
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Marc. Hope you're enjoying your first season!

I would just emphasise what everyone else is saying - take a deep breath and keep your resolve and don't drop your prices yet. I would be very surprised if you don't get the bookings.

Another thought - is it worth letting your local Information Centre know that you have got certain key weeks available? I have found ours useful in the past.

Good luck.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marc,
Christine Kenyon wrote: Another thought - is it worth letting your local Information Centre know that you have got certain key weeks available? I have found ours useful in the past.
An excellent idea which also works here. I have had a few enquiries from our local Tourist Information Office via their website, on which I have an entry.

Regards

Alan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Hold tight on July and August. the reductions I have made I now wish I hadnt made given the excesss of enquires.

Definetly list on more sites that are paid. You will find some provide free trial periods so go for them.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement.

I have decided not to give discounts for July and August and since I sent the original post, I have received four enquiries and two of them have now been converted into bookings.

I am still really confused about where to put my advertising, I agree that I should go to a few more paid sites but I just don’t know which one to go for.

I have read all of the threads concerning advertising and also the newsletter about how to find the best sites but I still don’t know who to go for.

Can anybody suggest a few sites that have really worked for them so that I can go and have a look for myself?

Is now really the best time to go to sites offering three month trials or is there a better period to try them in.

Thanks again

Marc
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Marc,

The sites I use are as follows all of which bring in enquires with the first three being the most successful though the other two have free trials and do bring in a few enquires that have booked. I have listed them in the order of effectiveness as per my experience.

abritel.fr
holiday-rentals.co.uk
vrbo.com
perfectplaces.com
locations-france.com

others to consider are : (We have tried homelidays and it did not work for us - though we did try at a bad time of year)

visitfrance.co.uk
homelidays.com
frenchconnections.co.uk

There are others on this site that look interesting as well. I believe susan mentioned one that particularily worked for her not long ago. Hope this helps.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com