Heat exchangers if non resident.....

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Blue Shutters

Heat exchangers if non resident.....

Post by Blue Shutters »

IF we can afford a heat exchanger it will be top of the "would like" list I think, after things like unsafe roof repair and pool security have been sorted out.

However, can you leave the pump running all the time with a summer cover over, if it is only visited once per week by pool maintenace company?

Thanks! :D I've had a very profitable five minutes reading up on older heat exchanger threads but can't find an answer to my question.
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Firstly I have to say that I can't in any way imagine that a weekly visit would be sufficient to keep any frequently used pool properly clean. I'd say thrice weekly would be the absolute minimum. I find that I really have to do something with our own pool virtually every day to keep it really clean, but I did used to manage another local property and found that I could "get away" with visiting about three to four times a week to keep the pool in an acceptable condition.

On the other hand, I'd say that a good heat exchanger should be virtually maintenance free - you just set the temp and leave the thing to run itself. The probem is that theres no way that all your guests will be bothered/remember to put the thermal cover on at night so your exchanger will probably be going full pelt most of the time, especially at night therfore costing you quite a bit extra in electricity.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

..the once a week visits would be when unoccupied and pool not being used but the pool open for summer, so the summer cover would be on all day for that time...... also for the warm up period in May....
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

My heat exchanger is set to 27°c and I leave it on permanently from April to end of October, along with the filter pump (the heat exchanger doesn't work if the filter pump isn't on).
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Is leaving it on permanently OK if the pool is not being uncovered at all during the day for a week or two?

..and if you don't mind me asking LV, what does that do to your electricity bill?
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have the tempo tarif, so my electricity is really cheap in the summer. I also have an abri cover that is on until mid May and from mid September, which means the heat is retained to a much larger degree than with a summer cover. I do spend a lot on heating the pool, but then it brings in the punters and I have repeat guests who come back because my pool is a decent temperature to swim in.
If I switched the heat exchanger off, I'd only use loads of electricity getting it back up to the required temperature anyway.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

That tempo tariff looks the way to go...thanks for that!
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Blue Shutters wrote:That tempo tariff looks the way to go...thanks for that!
Um, I don't think you can now, I'm pretty sure it is no longer available, EDF must have lost a lot of money with it!
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Bother.......... :roll:
Blog
Twit Tweets
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

What is the best available and currently available tariff for second homes, where not used much in winter, and possibly installing a heat pump? Would just running the pump at the night rate night (if the temp is above 5 degrees) be a good solution to heating the pool and minimising energy costs?
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Heures pleines heures creuses gives you cheaper electricity for 8 hours a night, but the monthly abonnement is more expensive than the tarif bleu. But I think I'd go for the hp/hc option. Do you have 3 phase electricity? You need it it you put in a heat pump and it is a pain if the electricen doesn't balance the three phases correctly.
I don't touch my heat pump, it goes on in April and off in November and it goes off whenever the temperature reaches 27°C. I keep the pump on permanently as well. The pool water can never be too clean when it is used by a lot of people.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

EDF have a helpline where good English speakers can advise you on the most suitable tariff for your needs. We were recommended to take the Base Tariff, which requires a higher monthly standing charge but a lower rate on consumption.

I think ... :oops: Anyone else in our situation (property only occupied for approx six months of the year) tried this and found a better way to go? I sometimes still wonder if it's right for us.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Yes, trying to get through on the English speaking helpline would be best as I think I am going nowhere much....as we are totally snowed in here, no school again, and I think I will give up and shut the shop today, although with mountaineering gear I can get there!! 20cm and still snowing in Stroud......well on the tops anyway, we are at 700ft.........
Blog
Twit Tweets
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Gorgeous thick flakes descending at a rapid rate as I type.

Let us know what EDF says BlueShutters!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

It's Alpine here, definitely one for a camera session!! Makes our pictures from the last two days look pathetic
Blog
Twit Tweets