Holding for Multiweek Rentals

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Clexane

Holding for Multiweek Rentals

Post by Clexane »

The debate over single week and multiweek rental has started in our household.

The question I have is do you hold out for multiweek rental and (can't believe I am saying this) reject single week rentals. Do you say no or put them on hold or waiting list or do you just buckle and take them.

The benefits of multiweek are obvious and we would prefer two week plus rentals but I can't see what do to about single weeks which seem to make up most the rentals enquiries.

It seems without fail I have recieved requests for multiweek for most the season but only after I have accepted single weeks. But, I dont think I have the courage to eliminate single weeks outright.

Or worse do you cancel single weeks when you get multiweeks - its a question dont shoot me :twisted: I really can't see us doing this though as we would like it if it happened to us.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Ju

Post by Ju »

I completely understand your dilema. We have had the same discussion in our house. We eventually agreed that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and therefore we accept which ever booking comes first. I would not cancel a one week booking just because a two week enquiry arrives. It is bad practice.

Never do to someone else anything you wouldn't want someone doing to you.

Ju
paolo

Post by paolo »

How can you cancel a booking anyway? Once the deposit is paid and the rental agreement signed it's done and dusted. You probably have a clause covering unforeseeable events or catastrophes, but it would be very, very wrong to oust people so you can replace them with a longer booking. In fact I forbid it!

Some properties are only made available for a 2-week minimum in the peak months - you could try this approach. Personally I take what comes and hope to leave no gaps.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

In my opinion if folk want to multi book weeks they should do it well in advance...e.g. our folk that had 1 week last year in June - rang in March to try and book whole month of June - I had sold 1 week...so I offered him 1 week in one house - move to the other, then 2 weeks in the 1st house....on day of move after 1st week he has booked the whole month of June next year!

So take what you can...you never know what comes from it! - I took one week for the 60th anniversay of D Day 1944 - it has lead to a further 8 weeks!....now that's what I call building a relationship!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, I'm in the "first-come, first-served" camp. Most of our bookings are for single weeks -- I would bet that most vacationers only take single weeks, or split up multi-week vacations into several different stops. So I wouldn't want to cut out such a large part of the market!

Plus, if other properties around me forbid the single-week bookings, that just means more for me! :)
Brooke
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Clexane. I appreciate your dilemma, but I suspect your answer lies in your customer base. Our cottages are in the Lake District and the vast majority of our customers (probably 95%) come from the UK and are therefore looking for a shorter holiday of a week or less. We therefore almost consider bookings of two weeks or longer as a miracle (or manna from heaven at the least). But if the biggest percentage of our bookings came from overseas I would expect more two-week bookings. I might then hold out for them - or would I lose my nerve when I got a potential booking for a week???? Who knows!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

We are similar to Christine - being in Normandy, just under 5 hours from London via the tunnel, many of our guests come to us for their "secondary" holiday, and usually only book for one week whilst flying off to some more glamourous far-flung destination for their main holiday at some other time. 8)
(not that Normandy is not glamourous, but you know what I mean!!! :lol: )

We have just two 2-week bookings this year - they are definitely the minority. I don't mind this, it makes very difference to me financially as I give a £50 discount for 2-weeks, as I don't have to pay my changeover staff the £60 it normally costs me.

In fact, on reflection, I think that I prefer one-weekers, as it provides work for my changeover staff. There is very little work in the area, so when I have a two-week booking they lose out on a week's money. :(

In fact (and I am writing this as it pops into my head), maybe in future, instead of giving a £50 discount for 2-weekers as I do at the moment, I may give a £30 discount, and give the other £30 as a "retainer" to the staff so that they at least get half-pay.
I'll mull over that one.....
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I don't give any discounts for 2 weeks,nor for anything else come to think of it!! :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I also don't give any discounts for 2 weeks -- I might start giving discounts for three weeks, but not usually!
Brooke
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I gave discounts this year and regretted it in hindsight. I believe I would have rented out in any case and simply just lost revenue.

We are determined not to discounts next year unless somebody askes for an extended period in Medium or Low Season - The other months will go. I pay our caretakers the same whether its multiweek or otherwise so there is little cost savings. Its really mainly a saving on the hassle factor of single week rentals.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

We also don't offer any discounts. For a two week stay, we still change the bed linen, etc and do a quick clean round so the only difference is that it takes less of my time on a Saturday.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

We give a small discount to people who have visited previously, a loyalty bonus if you like, and to friends and family.

Out of season long lets are a different matter. They are entirely subject to negotiation. I am discussing one at the moment - August through to end of year. That'll make up for a quiet(ish) season if I can secure it.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've just taken another 2 weeks for next year from folk staying at the moment - the only thing I do is keep to the 'almost' same price...so for next year whole of June & 1st 2 weeks of July are booked...I haven't mentioned money yet, nor have the guests...nearer the time - I think I will probably put the price up by 100/200 Euros per week - this will be their third time - so no deposit either...what fabulous business!

But I understand what you are saying re cleaners...I keep mine on ...and explain to the holiday makers that they have to have a mid stay clean as I have to keep my cleaners in work - they always understand...also if you have some mucky folk it is spotted!

Notice I am calm...I have perfect house guests at the moment!! No worries for Saturday....oh bliss!!! :D :D
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've just taken another 2 weeks for next year from folk staying at the moment - the only thing I do is keep to the 'almost' same price...so for next year whole of June & 1st 2 weeks of July are booked...I haven't mentioned money yet, nor have the guests...nearer the time - I think I will probably put the price up by 100/200 Euros per week - this will be their third time - so no deposit either...what fabulous business!

But I understand what you are saying re cleaners...I keep mine on ...and explain to the holiday makers that they have to have a mid stay clean as I have to keep my cleaners in work - they always understand...also if you have some mucky folk it is spotted!

Notice I am calm...I have perfect house guests at the moment!! No worries for Saturday....oh bliss!!! :D :D
enid

Post by enid »

Me too - lovely guests this week!

But re the thread my thought is that this year's one week is next year's two!!!!

We give a feed back sheet and last year one family responded to the question - Is there anything that would make your holiday better? with - yes make it two weeks - this year they are back for two and their friends are in our second gite!