Nice but annoying guests...

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
irishgreen
Location: nr Beziers, France (owner living in Dublin, Ireland)

Nice but annoying guests...

Post by irishgreen »

Hi,
:?
I always try to offer to be the best help following a booking and many of my future guests use that service by asking me this type of queries: what route would you recommend, what wine would you buy, where could I have my son's birthday party. I always tend to be polite and offer assistance to the best of my ability. I always try to make the answer short and sweet but I always end up with probably too many options and at the end I always feel like a travel agent or travel rep (with a smile!). I consider this part of the service. I provided similar service to guests who arrived this saturday by answering 4 separate emails of general enquiries (what wine, what type of barbecue we have, etc... ) a few days before their arrival.

Anyhow, I happened to talk to my neighbour on Saturday evening and she informed me that they still did not arrive at the house and it was 9.30 pm in France so I was a little concerned. My concern pushed me to ring them on their mobile to make sure they were not lost (although there was little I could do from Ireland!). I think this was the first mistake I had made.

They welcomed my call and said they were just arriving and opening the house. Oh, well ...wait..now... they actually now had a problem opening the front door. Some of the keys would go in but they could not open it. I recommended them to try to stay calm and try again. After 5 minutes (I was still on the phone listening to my charge per minute ticking away...!). They did get in and said it looked beautiful. As a matter of saying goodbye I had the infortunate initiative to say ''if you need anything else, just call me...''. Well, I was about to start put on telly when the phone rang. My new caretakers had set up only one cot and left the other one not up (probably in a rush and not knowing where they guests would want it). Well the guests could not put it up and claimed it was broken. I had bought these cots new two years ago and they probably been used 4 times in that space of time as not all my guests have infants with them. My husband talked to them this time and said a bit too quickly he would get a replacement to them. After discussions between us, we agreed to get a relation near our house to go down with a spare cot and try to look at the broken cot. We informed our guests by email of this and answered more queries. The 2nd cot was not broken and was set up by my brother in law in 2 minutes. He also mentioned the instructions were there so it was just a matter of following them up. They asked him why I did not have air fans in the house. I told them earlier on that day, advising about replacement cot delivery, in a text it was safety (children fingers/hair catching up in them) which is half the reason I suppose. The other reason is electricity costs as I don't mind the odd fan but I know most guests would probably leave them on constantly wether they were in the room or not. I certainly did not advertise my house air-conditioned or said fans would be provided.... I know it is hot but is that not the reason why you go on holiday/to south of France?!! Also the house has a nice swimming pool.

Finally (thank god I hear you all say...! for the ones that are still awake) they said they could not find paddling pool as advertised. What is in the shed? What there a key to the padlock to get it? What they were refering to is a inflatable baby pool that takes one baby only rightly advertised as '' And to be fair I did list it among the toys and things on offer for babies and children (playpen, drawing tables, toy plastic house...). I had omitted to tell my pool maintenance man to get pool toys out of the shed as my old caretakers did that automatically last year. I had since requested him to take them out at his next visit.

I just feel that it is only Monday and I have two weeks to go with them and I am not sure wether I will be able to cope with them. I just don't know what to do or how to behave. Wether to start being slightly stand offish but remaining professional (hard go for me!) or just keeping smile on and answer each little query they throw at me in the next few days.

Your views will be of interest and experience also if you have been through similar cases (although I read a few in previous threads...).

Kind regards
SAbine :?
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Don't worry, Sabine, they will be quite different when they have settled in. Guests are always tired (& sometimes irritable) when they arrive.
Best,
Alexia.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I agree - a flurry of questions as they settle in and establish what's what is the norm, I don't think it will last 2 weeks.

To be fair to them, if there was a paddling pool advertised I would be on the phone to you too!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think Alexia is right, after a long journey, people are often tired and irritable, especially if they have kids, at least one of whom will have been sick on the journey. Either that or people lose a part of their brain in the Channel, we had some people the other week who complaining that the TV didn't work (turn it on), neither did the dishwasher (plug it in). The last night the dishwasher didn't work and they were going to leave everything in it dirty for me to wash up. They hadn't switched it on properly (the dial was turned the wrong way round). The same people didn't bring a map, so were OK getting to here with my directions, but after trying to go visit somewhere 10kms away, went in the wrong direction and ended up getting lost and driving around all day. All this and I provide maps!
I frequently have people who can't put up the cots (we don't always put them up have no idea where people are going to choose to sleep), light a BBQ, work the washing machine/dishwasher, light the fire/woodburner (even when its all laid), lock/unlock the door, flush the toilet (OK, so the last one is exaggerated). Maybe people don't try hard enough to work things out themselves - its too easy to knock on my door as I live on site.
So don't worry, you have my sympathy and you are not alone!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Irsihgreen,

Did your guests settle down ???
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
irishgreen

Post by irishgreen »

Hi Clexane, I have no idea as yet but we or our caretakers did not hear from them... so I hope this is a good sign. I will let you know if/when I get any feedback this week (they left Saturday).

Thanks for checking!
irishgreen

Post by irishgreen »

Hi Clexanne,

Just to keep you up to date. The guests came back saying they enjoyed the house after the initial bump up and the noise of the village and the heat (I do explain it is a working village and do not proclaim my house has air conditioning but anyhow...).

They even went to the point of recommending places to me in the area. Very sweet. When I went to the house I met our new caretakers to touch base (I have met them before start of season) and pointed out to them drawings with markers on tablecloth (toile cirree) of the dining room table. They said they did not notice but obviously some guests have left their children do whatever they want in other people places. I have a feeling if it is these guests who had young children. The annoying thing is that there is a drawing table there for children and cannot understand how they let them paint my tablecloth... it's marker so so far has not come off (I will replace it at end of season now...). There is also some marker on one of chairs of the dining room (all antique furniture!!). The caretakers have advised me it was that group of people who played musical chairs: they had moved a lot of furniture around especially in the bedrooms. It now turns out (again noted by me) an antique chair is missing completly from one of the bedroom. Our guess is it was so damaged that maybe they thought it would be easier to make it disapppear.

As I have no proof it was them (like the dining room tablecloth), and I would not like to offend anybody, I wondered if it is better to leave it or should I tackle all guests politely asking them about the chair? (it was a gift from an aunt and I know she will check it out at her next visit, this is the annoying thing, I can't replace it with a normal furniture chair !).

I will provide an inventory of must check items for the caretakers too so I have no more suprises. This was an oversight from me but you do not expect guests to take or destroy a piece of furniture... or should you?

Any advice appreciated.
(I will change soon my username as ramble I think... sorry!)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Is it John or Sabine who is posting here?
irishgreen

Post by irishgreen »

Hi Alan, it is Sabine writing. I can see the confusion I may have created putting my name at the end of my post further up. I thought I would use irishgreen as username as people do not find my first name easy (unless they come from France, Germany or Austria) and I usually become a Sabrina or Sabina with time... Sorry for confusion (my husband John won't really touch the pc, he says he uses it enough at work...!).
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sabine,

Silly me. I hadn't noticed you had used your name in some of your postings. I'll try to get it right when I use it.

Regards

Alan