How many washes?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
enid

How many washes?

Post by enid »

I' m not sure if I should post this on 'managing yout guests' but here goes. What do you do when your guests are using the washing machine all the time? We have the most lovely family here at the moment spread between two gites - but one problem is that they have the washing machines going all the time. It's easier for me to notice that than most I suppose as our machines are in a large laundry room. They seem to have arrived with weeks of dirty laundry. We would expect one wash in a week - perhaps two but how do you guys manage this aspect?
tansy

Post by tansy »

Enid...children involved?

I just am so happy I cannot see what happens at my houses most of the time...I did have one family that arrived with 2 suitcase loads of dirty washing after their first week in Spain - she did, must have been 5/6 loads - had a shower each in the morning, then had another shower each after the beach - then rang me up to complain there was no hot water that she was trying to bath the children....that was in my early days so I rushed over at 8 p.m. at night all worried...discovered what had been going on - just explained it's a hot water cylinder you have to wait!

With your washing addicts...could you mention water shortage? Calculate how much water a machine uses and tell them how much they are using each wash - or suggest that the fosse is becoming rather overwhelmed and could they just do emergency stuff only?

My favourite it telling them how differently we have to live in France from the UK...that the electricity is worse - we don't have north sea gas, our houses are different so we put on another jumper in the winter rather than turn up the heat...perhaps The Mayor has warned all the household that you have to cut down on water and what powers The Mayor has

:wink: :wink:
Fraise

Re: How many washes?

Post by Fraise »

enid wrote:I' m not sure if I should post this on 'managing yout guests' but here goes. What do you do when your guests are using the washing machine all the time? We have the most lovely family here at the moment spread between two gites - but one problem is that they have the washing machines going all the time. It's easier for me to notice that than most I suppose as our machines are in a large laundry room. They seem to have arrived with weeks of dirty laundry. We would expect one wash in a week - perhaps two but how do you guys manage this aspect?
Hi.I'm sorry but I don't see the problem? When my children were all at home I washed every day,several times and did so on holiday too,if it was self catering.I think this balances out as we've had people staying who wanted to know nothing about the washing machine as they wouldn't be touching it on holiday!! :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I supply an automatic washing machine and a tumble dryer for the exclusive use of my guests, together with full instructions for those who don't know how an on/off switch works. I do not impose any rules and only once has anyone taken advantage of the facility.

Some years ago a family of five arrived for a fortnight's stay, towing a caravan. They were in the middle an extended tour of France. It came as no great surprise when the very first thing they did was put on the washing machine, after I explained the complications of on/off switches. The washing and tumble drying and ironing continued for the next few days without a break. I wasn't too pleased but they were not breaking any rules so I said nothing.

However, when the curtains and carpets from the caravan appeared on the washing line I did intervene and told them that this had to stop, they were abusing my facilities. Too late! They had washed, dried and ironed everything they had brought with them.

Strange thing is that they were model visitors in every other respect. They haven't been back. Perhaps they have found a lauderette that also offers self catering holidays?

Alan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Enid,

I believe they have paid to be guests at your house and as such it is their decision if they wish to wash all day if having a washer and drier is part of your original offer - including utilities.

If it concerns you then you may need to advertise limits around utilities ... and then you would be within your rights. This may however cause you some lost bookings even if your limits are generous.

My advice is to grin and bear it. It comes with the swings and roundabouts.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
enid

Post by enid »

I have spent the morning multi tasking - ironing, picking peas and beans and shelling them while the iron hots up, making jam etc. I have also been thinking about my early morning post here which sounds very Scroogy to me - I think that I am still feeling a bit nervous after the very dirty guests we had.

You are all absolutely right - it's part of our offering and it's swings and roundabouts - I for one never want to do laundry on holiday and we have had lots of guests who didn't use the laundry room at all.

I'm feeling especially grumpy old woman as this family is delightful - it is their daughter's 5th birthday today and when Sally our dog took our small present round they were singing to her in Dutch and English and included us in the event!

So to answer my own question - How many washes? - as many as you think you need!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,
How many washes? - as many as you think you need!!
In the swings and roudabouts of letting I think that is right.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Enid,
talking about your washing machine and what is reasonable, I know that when I was on holiday a few years ago, with my baby and friends with a toddler, we did quite a few washes too, only problem was we shared a machine with the owner and they were rather surprised we used it so much.
As a property owner, it is swings and roundabouts as far as that is concerned. The first thing some people do when they arrive is switch on the washing machine, but if children have been sick en route its understandable.
What I want to know is what is reasonable? We had some Parisiens stay for a weekend in March, I didn't mind how much wood they used for heating, but when they started using the vacuum cleaner (and more to the point, my electricity) to clean out all 3 of their cars for the best part of an hour, I was REALLY annoyed.
But should I have been? After all, they rent with utilities included, its just I would prefer they used them on things within the house, not their cars!
enid

Post by enid »

I think I was grumpy about the washing because the last load must have been set on a delayed programme - I really think our guest was trying to use our night time rate to save us money - but the buanderie (laundry room ) is underneath our bedroom and the machine went into final spin at 5.45 a.m. I'm a bit of a fluffy - like Alan - but when my sleep gets disturbed I get grouchy!
I think you were right however to be cross when they started cleaning their car covers etc and so was Alan when his guests used his leccie to spring clean their caravan. It'slike everything - each case needs to be judged individually.
Anyway I've nomoans this evening - let 'em wash I say!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Susan,

The electricty would have cost about 12 cents. Thats 2kw vaccum cleaner for 1 hour ...

Grin and bear it 8)
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com