Tree planting to offset

For anything to do with the garden and pool
tansy

Tree planting to offset

Post by tansy »

I notice LesCygnes operate a scheme of offsetting carbon footprint - plane a tree or donate... we too tried this but didn't have anyone show any interest... has anyone else had any luck?

We've start to plant up a hectare field as a park/wooded area and thought that folk on holiday may like to add a tree in their name...
it's all a learning curve!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Me too, and I WILL do it this summer. I think I'll just plant them anyway and see what response I get.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Marchehelen

Post by Marchehelen »

What a great idea- we are looking at getting some more olives- perhaps this could be how to do it
Solari

Post by Solari »

We've been running a scheme for a couple of years now, and also have had very limited take up - but a few guests have joined in (10 euros each) so we've got a few more olive trees on the land... :)
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

tansy wrote:I notice LesCygnes operate a scheme of offsetting carbon footprint
In my opinion this is just a gimmick to attract the "green dollar". Anyone who has spare land and really cared about the environment would fill it up with trees anyway irrespective of whether or not they could get people to pay cost.

Also it can actually cost more than one tree to have a truly "carbon neutral holiday". I did some (rough) calucations about this a while back and published the results:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Carbon-Neutra ... &id=827054
Solari

Post by Solari »

In my opinion this is just a gimmick to attract the "green dollar"
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that planting one tree is going to save the planet. Call it a gimmick if you like, but if people like the idea of having an olive tree in their name, and to feel some sense of having done the right thing, then it is there for them. By the time we've got the tree, planted, fed and watered it, we're certainly not making any profit.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Well the German War Cemetery here in Normandy - I think it is 250,000 trees have been planted in the name of peace and with sponsorship from businesses and individuals from all over Germany... so that is a fairly large statement...
it's all a learning curve!