dissatisfied clients

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
drearyogre

dissatisfied clients

Post by drearyogre »

:( we have after 5 years with 2 properties current clients who are unsuited to rural France. They will not open any windows as they are v frightened of the gekkos - no amount of assurance re their not entering the house etc has any effect. They say the house 'smells of dry rot, v v v profoundly' - this does not concur with our gardienne's opinion, and the house was empty for only a week, but aired on day before arrival. We were thewre ourselves 2 weeks ago. It has been re roofed, wood treated in last 5-3 years. They are demanding their money back. We have offered the second detached house, also 3 bedrooms - they say ceilings too low for the house ever to be cool - but it in fact faces north, is v thick walled and is cool. This also smells musty they say. They also do not like the old furniture - quite grand lovely armoires I have to say. I do not feel we owe them a refund. They are staying till we give it to them, then want to move out to a hotel. We do have a contract - says there will be wildlife etc in this rural location and maybe inthe house, we have the usual 8 week cvancellation, and advise clients to take out their own insurance re cancellation. Does anyone have any thoughts please as we are a bit upsat but do not want to lose 10 days rent - I discounted from 2 weeks, provided towels and welcome pack, fresh flowers on table etc. Think there is no pleasing them. Adult daughter's possible phobia of small animals makes me wonder on their choice of holiday. They live in a brand new bungalow themselves. Our house old - but quite charming to most people.
enid

Post by enid »

Makes me think of English folk who come here cos the houses are cheap with no thought to what life in the countryside is really like and shock horror they hear a tractor or see a mouse. We are thinking of charging extra because of the geckos - after all they keep the kids amused for hours - better than a baby sitter.

I think you have offered recompense enough and I wouldn't refund anything. I would point out your publicity and description of the property and then say au revoir.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

drearyogre,

Welcome to the forum!

Your first mistake may have been to give these people a discount -- I and many other forum users have had bad experiences in the past with giving discounts during the peak season. It seems like the people who ask for discounts are those who cause trouble, more often than not.

Since you signed a contract, it seems very cut and dry to me. It is completely unacceptable to demand a refund after the occupancy start date has already passed, unless the house is falling down around these people or there is some sort of animal infestation, neither of which appears to be the case.

I think you are totally correct not to give them one penny back. If they really thought the house was uninhabitable they would already be at a hotel. The situation (not the house!) smells of the in-house guests trying to take advantage.

Hopefully you can get in mid-stay to do a light cleaning, and see how these clients are treating your house. I do hope you have taken a deposit, because after you tell them that you will not be refunding their money, they may not be as respectful to the property.

Cheers, and good luck with these people!
Brooke
jnorris42

Refunds

Post by jnorris42 »

It is awfully depressing when they whinge. I had several last year, but really it came down to the awful weather, there was a little drip from one corner, they were stuck inside with kids and they decided to really go for it. They were so rude I refused any refund. Turned out they really were putting it on, because the next lot of people in I questioned about all the complaints!!
Others said the cooker didn't work (they switched it off) etc etc. Never happened in previous years. Nor this (fingers crossed!)
One lot - our cleaner forgot to leave the keys. They spent the night in the car and then stayed at a hotel the next night. Obviously I paid for the hotel and meals - but they were delighted when they got in.
Any little sorry's you need to make - can I suggest sending a box of chocolates from www.hotelchocolat.co.uk afterwards - they do a special price (£10) for sending a £15 box in the hope that the client will want to buy more. Click on their Chocolate Tasting Club. And they are superb chocolates. It looks a wonderful gesture and costs you nothing, really.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Deirdre,

May I be totally frank? These people are giving you complete bullshit. You have a really nice property and you charge a totally reasonable price. They want a Ferrari at the price of a Fiat. Tell them to p**s off! Is that being too blunt?

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

While I agree completely with you, Alan (oops, I mean Fluffy), I think it might in fact be a bit blunt.

I'm not sure that the BS word is actually against the forum rules...
is it?

However, I must emphasize that I completely agree with what Alan said. :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fluffy says:-

"If that is too blunt I will totally accept that Paolo might delete the message."

Fluffy's views are not always fluffy. Sometimes they are line dried and scratchy. They are always honest.

Regards

Alan (aca, Fluffy)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Teehee,

What I found funniest was that you starred out p**s, which isn't one I normally would, yet didn't star out BS!

Must be a cultural difference?

Okay, okay, I'm off-topic, so I'll just say that I'd like to know how this situation eventually gets handled, and how the clients react to being told to buzz off!

:)
Brooke
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

DrearyOgre,
I have just looked at your website and I think your house looks lovely! I don't think you should give these people any sort of discount just because they don't like it! As long as the house is exactly as advertised and everything within it works, they have absolutely no rights to any sort of refund.

However, as someone else said earlier in this thread, I hope you took a security deposit from them, just in case they decide to turn nasty and don't take as much care of the house as one would hope.

Good Luck, and do let us know how it turns out...
drearyogre

Post by drearyogre »

Thank you everyone for the helpful, strengthening and cheering comments - as hard not to get a bit upset with such an event. I shall certainly keep you all posted. Move out date is Sunday 10 but I am arriving Thursday 7th pm previously arranged.
Hate to confess as security cheque in euros Irish bank, I had held on to it as bank charges to pay into our French account so high [note other useful comments on this in the forum], and we have never had to deduct from the security deposit. Oops - [would I use *** as a novice member?] never again and hope not too late this time. Read and learn - forum so useful.
Renewed thanks

Drearyogre - a name from nursing management days [when of course I was just the opposite!!]
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

I am not sure why I *'d out any of the words. They're both in the dictionary and we all know what both of them mean.

I was expressing my feelings to fellow forum members in the shortest way I knew how. I wouldn't use those actual words when speaking to a renter (unless I became extremely angry in which case I have a full repertoire) but they would definitely get my meaning.

Like you, I would love to hear the outcome.

Regards

Alan
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Drearyogre,

It seems to me these people are trying to pull a fast one! I don't see that you have broken any side of your contract (unless of course there is something in there about giving refunds just because it isn't someone's cup of tea!). They knew what was on offer when they booked - if they chose to interpret it in their own way, well that's their look out.

I live in the country, despite the fact I have a terrible phobia of snakes, - I accept that and adjust my activities accordingly (and believe me I take some ribbing from my family!).

Chin up - It is depressing when people behave like this, but at least you know we are all on your side.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

I was also chuckling at Alan's selective bleeping. And I agree with what he and everyone else has said on this - your punters are out of order!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
drearyogre

Post by drearyogre »

Update - after refusing to have a builder or other inspect the odour issue, as they said he/she would be biased in our favour, the party have left. House clean and in order it apears. Keys secured. Post visit inspection showed no evidence of any bad smell or mustiness at all! However subsequent phone call indicates a real expectation of half the rental which we have regretfully declined - indeed we see no cause to reimburse at all, having not found a problem and even then having offered an alternative. He says he will have to consider if he takes the matter further. We shall see. Can't tell you how good it was having this forum! Have a good weekend.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Assuming there has been no breach on your part the matter will die a lonely death. There is nowhere near enough money at stake to take it further and they have little grounds it seems to feel betrayed ie they would pursue it on principle. Any lawyer will tell them the same. BTW I am not a lawyer but spend a lot of time dealing with contracts being in the building industry.

It is not suprising they called and you may even get a letter .. this would be consistent with their nature of 'having a go' for opportunitic gain.

Dont feel bad about this. You delivered on your end by delivering a house as advertised, you did your best to accomodate and you did not pressure them in any way. You did not rent it out to others and you have a right to earn your living.

Forget about them and I wouldn't even respond any further unless they actually start proceedings.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com