New member - Comments on site please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
chrisj

New member - Comments on site please

Post by chrisj »

My first post here !

Have been in Brittany for just over a year and opened two gites last year and now getting ready to open two more on site for this year.

First year has gone well, and site is working with bookings coming in for this year now.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

www.gitesbyjewells.com
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi Chris

You have a lovely property there and some excellently dressed pictures!

In general the web site is great - Nice to look at a site that doesn't have text across the entire screen in a long line.

I found the home page a bit overpowering - too much information there - it needs editing and the main points need to hit you between the eyes as you first look at it.

I can see why you have the blinking £1.20 but it's really annoying and the luminous pricing put me right off"

I get an error when I click on the home link - your index.htm appears to be erroring.

Also if yu are going to accent "cafe" you shoudl do "longere" too (well you shoudl do it anyway) and I'd say Breton not Bretagne in "typical Bretagne farm buildings.

Hope this helps
Adam Apple

Post by Adam Apple »

It's a very nice looking website. Just a couple of little things, and I realise you are doing this for the search engines, but I think you mention the word 'Brittany' a few too many times on the home page - it gets a little too repetetive. Also, I think you should mention that it's near Dinan a little sooner in the text.

Fantastic name by the way, Gites by Jewell!
chrisj

Feedback

Post by chrisj »

Thanks for the feedback, both of you have good points.

Have tried to make the links to home page give errors using IE, Firefox and Netscape but can get the poblem. Can anyone let me know if the problem still exists and in what browsers so I can try to rectify.
Brittany Gites - holiday cottages / Gites by Jewells
Chris Jewell - Website Design Brittany
Windy

Post by Windy »

Chris - it's working OK now - how odd!
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

hi chrisj. i checked the availabilty link and you have to email to check. i think if i were considering booking a place i'd just like to see a calendar to tell whether to bother or not.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I didn't get the flashing £1.20 but every time you hover over a link the whole page flashes.

Clean simple site and easy to navigate although it kept seizing up (which might be my laptop).

A few typos/omissions - fair should be fare on the Home Page, plural of ferry is ferries on Location, Cherbourge and Cane should be Cherbourg and Caen, Bretagne is not an English word, use Brittany or Breton, you mention an Attractions page but there isn't one...........and I can only see Apple Cottage, (looks great) but where are the rest?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
J&J

Post by J&J »

Here comes the teacher ...........

I spotted a few missing apostrophes (it annoys some people)

Home page - stone's throw (para 4)
Prices - last year's (yellow text)
About us - today's clients (last para)

Also spelling on Catering page, meals on arrival, should read "leisurely" not leasurly.

It all looks very. very nice. I too like the name Gites by Jewell. Just being picky though, sometimes you use it in the singular (ie the whole complex) and sometimes in the plural, so there are inconsistencies.

Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
chrisj

Corrections

Post by chrisj »

Thanks for your help.

Have corrected the spelling and put in the offending apostrophies.
catherinedonegal wrote:hi chrisj. i checked the availabilty link and you have to email to check. i think if i were considering booking a place i'd just like to see a calendar to tell whether to bother or not.
The omission of an availability calendar is deliberate. We think that getting email enquiries is better. It does make a little more work but we do know when people are looking and we do have their email address in our database of potential customers.
chrisj

Post by chrisj »

katiegirl wrote: hover over a link the whole page flashes.

you mention an Attractions page but there isn't one...........and I can only see Apple Cottage, (looks great) but where are the rest?
Have checked site opperation in IE, Firefox and Netscape, can you let me know which browser you are using so I can try to recreate yur problems and solve.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well whatever the glitch was, it's resolved itself now. All in perfect working order Chris! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
chrisj

Post by chrisj »

Thanks for letting me know all is OK now.
Fuerte

Post by Fuerte »

Hi Chris

Nice site... :D

Have skipped through the site and have found a couple of slight hiccups

on your prices page 10day stays should be 10 day stays

on your booking_form.htm it says towels are "at £2.50 per person"
on your prices page it says Towels are not included but can be hired at a cost of €3.50 per person. (thats an exchange rate of 1.40 !!)

On your booking form you lose the format of the site is that intentional? as if you want to check something before you book you can not go back

I to would prefer to see an actual availability calendar they are free and can recommend one if you want.

I do not like the colours of the prices as it really doesn't fit in with the scheme of the site and the pink :roll: is very bright!!
Apartment Fuerteventura - Luxury Apartment in Fuerteventura
chrisj

Post by chrisj »

Fuerte wrote:
thats an exchange rate of 1.40 !!)
Will update the £2.50 on booking form, that was the exchange rate when I first designed the form ! And where to now ?

Will make some time to change the prices page, you are not alone in disliking the garish colours.

Thanks for your help.
Fuerte

Post by Fuerte »

Cris

I think the easiest way is not to conflict with Sterling AND Euros on your website.

If you stick to Euros on your website then a price can be giving in sterling when enquired for. (jusy an :idea: )
Apartment Fuerteventura - Luxury Apartment in Fuerteventura