2am arrivals - HELP!!!!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
pambon

2am arrivals - HELP!!!!

Post by pambon »

I have just received a request for 5 nights in June. They will be arriving at midnight at the airport and expect to arrive here at 2am......how would other owners handle this unusual (for me) situation?
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Pam
We live on site as you do. I would go to bed a bit early and ask them to ring the bell when they arrive. If that doesn't suit you, then make some sort of arrangement in advance so that they can have the keys to the apartment without disturbing you and ask them in for coffee when they're wide eyed and bushy tailed.

It certainly isn't the easiest time for an arrival.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
olive

Post by olive »

Leave lights on & hide the key near the front door. We use a flower pot.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmmm... wouldn't do that in rural France even. Pam, is there a place for a keysafe with code? They're very small ...

I prepared a brief intro to the property especially for late arrivals which I email to them if they expect to be arriving after dark. And use a keysafe, the location for which they know in advance along with the code. Recommend that they bring a tiny torch if the area's poorly lit.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
olive

Post by olive »

Dear GG,
We've done it for close on 18 years. In very rural France.
And we don't live next door.
I don't like doing it for as long as 24 hours - overnight is alright - but I have done so. We know what time the visitors are arriving, but burglars don't. (Actually, burglars don't need a key.)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I've had numerous burglaries and attempted burglaries over time, Sydney, UK - and Italy (twice) so I'm overly cautious.

Without a key the thief is slowed down and in Pam's case, there's a good chance the smashing of glass or the forcing of a door would be heard by someone.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
olive

Post by olive »

Doesn't Pam live on-site?
pambon

Post by pambon »

Strangely enough I have already ordered a key safe (for my son's keys actually) as he either forgets them and rings the bell in the darkest hours (!) after waking me first on my cell phone (!) or leaves them outside on the utility meters, the door of which has no lock and I consider very unsafe.

I think this is perhaps the best solution.

I can't leave the lights on as access is down steps and the lights there are automatic!

Should someone break in he would certainly be heard I think; especially as one neighbur is a baker who rises at 3.30/4am each morning to go off to his bakery!!
pambon

Post by pambon »

olive wrote:Doesn't Pam live on-site?
Yes Olive I do but really don't want to have to be on call 24 hours. The key safe will be the solution I feel. I can take photos of it so they know where to look etc.
Marks

Post by Marks »

A key safe is the best option. I've used one for about 4 years for all arrivals. I give guests precise instructions how to find it and open it. There is a light above the front door with a PIR sensor so guests who arrive in the dark (or those that leave at 3am as my last lot did!) can see what they are doing.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

How do insurance companies like key-under-flowerpot-solutions?

A keysafe is the answer, but make sure they're big enough, and only one failure in 3 years (they forgot the code, and slept in their car :lol:).

MG
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Pam,

I think the key safe route is definitely the way to go. We have used one successfully in France for 3 years. We don't live on site and I think the renter likes the freedom to arrive when they like without being tied to a set time.

On the subject of hiding keys nearby - it is not to be recommended, but is a very very low risk. Burglars do not go searching for keys under flower pots etc!

They identify easy targets and tend to use one of the following techniques:
  • Walk through the front door at the invitation of the owner (distraction burglary)
    An open window or unlocked door (20%)
    Force a rear window (30%) or door.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Looks like I'll have to thank my son for being so forgetful!
Luckily I've ordered a biggish one so there should be room for him & the guests!
olive

Post by olive »

" Burglars do not go searching for keys under flower pots etc! "
Well, thieves might - but so what? They're not gong to drive up in a removal van on the off-chance that nobody will interrupt them. If they've found our property in the middle of the countryside in the letting season they'll know that people arrive at all times of the day - and night. They'll look for portable stuff - money, trinkets, diamonds. We don't leave that sort of thing around.
Insurance, MG? It's on a second-hand goods basis in France. Do I worry about the value of my second-hand refrigerator? bed? etc etc.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Luckily I've ordered a biggish one so there should be room for him & the guests!

You wouldn't really lock your son up would you?
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !