Does anybody out there expect to be getting enquires now?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

It's great isn't it? I had 2 people wanting the same weeks next year and I've had to turn one away,amazing that this is happening already! :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We are just about fully booked in July/August in 2 houses, half booked in the other, its never happened this early before! Also people have booked all 3 together, which hasn't happened before. I know we would get those weeks booked anyway, but its nice to have that security - nearly all are 2 week bookings as well so far fewer hectic changover days than we had this year.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Susan,
Good luck with the people who have booked all 3 together: it's a good idea to ask them (firmly) to put everything back into the right property before they leave. Cutlery, glasses, cups, saucepans, sugar, cushions, pillows, chairs, books & videos - you think of it, it will be moved unless you succeed in getting them to do this themselves.
Best,
Alexia.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alexia,
you are quite right - the first time I let 2 cottages together it was left in a terrible state and took a good hour to sort out the 2 inventories again. Since then it has not been too bad letting 2 houses, but I have never let all three together! I will definitely specify that everything MUST be put back in the original house other wise the deposit will be kept.
Susan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Please let us know how this works out, Susan. Like you, I spent ages just putting things back in the right places (impossible to rely on cleaners for this). And our 3 places only sleep a total of 12 - yours take 24!
Best,
Alexia.
Jayjan

Post by Jayjan »

Hi folks, We have had the same problems , folks wanting the same weeks I think its due to the school holidays in the Uk, cant keep em off school anymore only at holiday term time otherwise you can be fined an taken to court. (What a silly law) but i suppose some will abuse it and keep their kids off for endless weeks. Regards Jayjan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Jayjan, you can still keep them off school if the school gives permission for the holiday (or so the letter I received from school said),. It's parents taking kids away without permission that are the problem, and those taking several breaks a year.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

In my sons School they can have up to 10 days per School year with permission from the head. You have to fill in a form and get it signed in those circumstances they are allowed to take a holiday in term time. However he is in primary School I think it is more frowned upon in Secondary School but probably depends on the indvidual School's policy. The flights and accomodation can triple in summer holidays so many parents do not have much option but to take their children out during in term, but the vast majority will stick to the summer holidays. Probably 8 out of 10 of our enquiries are for July and August.
Always Learning
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hanorah, because of our jobs, we sometimes didn't have a choice, as we need to be replaced when we take holiday. Mainly we go skiing, and it was only for a week, but I do know some who abused the system, sending kids away with grandparents during termtime, and even with other friends. We last took them out of school when the eldest was 14 for a trip to Canada, but the school secretary had actually given me the wrong half-term dates, and I thought I had booked for school holidays.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

So finally we are starting to see enquires and a booking coming in for 2006 - I was starting to do cold turkey.

Interestingly the vast majority are coming from Abritel and they are from French, Dutch and Belgians.

Who was it that said that they (French, Continentals) do not pay as much and book later??? It just doesn't seem to be our experience - certainly not in our area. Or have they just learn't their lesson after missing out in earlier years.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

It must be a really quiet period ...not had one enquiry since last Thursday...getting withdrawal symptoms already!
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've just had a mini 'rush' so now I'm almost full for peak time next year..what am I going to do during the dark month of January?...that's when it is usually the busiest taking all the bookings!

I'm not sure if I am pleased or what...it is odd isn't it to get so many bookings so early?
it's all a learning curve!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Tansy,
I've found exactly the same for next years bookings, I have never had so many bookings for the following year this far ahead before. Maybe people left who left things until the last minute this year and ended up getting nothing or one of the 'coal holes' wanted to make sure of something definite for 2006?? :wink:
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

In response to the rush (and encouraged by Alexia :D ) I have punched up my prices yet again. I figure supply and demand ... and demand seems to be flowing right now so why not push the boundaries a little. Now I just need to hold my nerve ... but I figure with so much time to go I can afford to experiement a little.

As with Tansy and Crystal though I like the idea of still having some weeks to let to spread that good booking feeling out a little. :wink:
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I agree, Clexane - you've got a lot of time. The prices look competitive. I have always told friends with attractive - but not exceptional - 3 bedroomed houses that £1,500 pw was about the going rate in July/August. I've been saying this for about 5 years, which shows that there are a lot of attractive houses out there, keeping prices steady.
You might find June & September slower to rent out - let us know?
The exceptional houses have been going up a lot. A Le Corbusier house, 4 bedrooms, near Le Lavandou started out at £1800pw 2 years ago, went up to £2500, then £2800 and for 2006 it's £3200 pw (all high season prices).
(Anyway, how many people have heard of le Corbusier - famous Swiss architect - ? Enough, apparently!)
Best,
Alexia.