Would like some constuctive tips please!!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Fuerte

Would like some constuctive tips please!!

Post by Fuerte »

Hi all.

I just found this site and have learnt some valuable information and sill learning (as you do!) I would like a few of you to take the time to have a look at my site to see "what you think?"

Although the web site is only for one apartment can you comment on the following...

ease of navigation?

page loading times good, bad, acceptable?

do I sell the Island enough?

do I sell the apartment enough?

does it show there is enough to do on the Island?

Any particular SEO problems detected?

I look forward to your comments

Thanking you in anticipation

Tim
Owner, Admin and Web Design
www.luxury-apartments-fuerteventura.com
Last edited by Fuerte on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apartment Fuerteventura - Luxury Apartment in Fuerteventura
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hello Tim, welcome to the forum.

You are very brave for putting your website up for review here for us rottweilers to look at!!!

I'm sorry to wade straight in with a negative comment, but I found the animated text at the top of the screen very, very off-putting and distracting. It made me dizzy and I couldn't concentrate on the important stuff below. I think that if I was looking for a holiday property, I would probably have clicked the back button at that point without looking any further.:(

Then, there are no photographs of your property on the home page at all, just a beach (which, I'm sorry to say, looks more like a ferry terminal :? ) followed by three photographs taken at the airport. When booking a holiday, I want to be seduced by the prospect of a lovely unspoiled beach etc, not by a photo of a miserable looking arrivals hall :( :(

At that point I nearly gave up, but thought, for the purpose of this review, that I ought to dig around and see what your property does actually look like, and then I found it on page two - and it does look very nice.

My single piece of advice would be to make page 2 your home page!

I'm really sorry if I am putting such a downer on what has obviously been a lot of hard work - but don't take it the wrong way, you obviously have a lovely property but you just need to put yourself in the shoes of your prospective customers and think about what they would want to see. And you don't have to change it that much - just make more of all the positive aspects. Seduce them! 8) :D

Good luck!
pete

Post by pete »

I do agree, your page on the apartment is much more appealing and is what you are selling.

welcome anyway

pete
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

Hi Tim
I do not have broadband where I am, but your page loaded very quickly for me - and its lunchtime! But I do agree with the comment about the animated header.

You seem to have covered most if not all of the bases - but I feel there is too much on the homepage - I found it a bit overwhelming. But that is a personal thing for me. Some great pics on the homepage, but I think I would want an image of the accommodation rather that an easyjet about to take off.

Good luck :)

Thomas
Fuerte

Post by Fuerte »

Thank you Thomas Pete and Normandy Cow!

I have taken your comments on board and do tend to agree with most that was said.........

In fact so much so I have been working hard to rectify these problems and hope you will agree that the changes I have made are for the better?

Normandy Cow....

I really feel that i can not make page 2 my home page as I am a great believer that the "bots" read text more than pictures? and I need to sell the Island as much as the apartment.

Fuerteventura is relatively unknown and when the Canary Islands are mentioned everyone seems to know Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote but has never heard of Fuerteventura!!

those that have commented would you please look again and see if the site appeals more?

Those that are looking from 15.22 onwards what do you think? :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Fuerte on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Was this built with a Web Studio package?
Cheers
PC
Fuerte

Post by Fuerte »

No.

I have done it in front page, is there a reason why?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

No reason, it's just that the site has that feeling in it's appearance. And that wouldn't be a bad thing if it was! Just curious.
Cheers
PC
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hi Tim,

Wow - what a difference! I'm so glad you took my advice on board. It looks so much better now. I haven't got time right now to spend much time reading it, but first impressions (the ones that count!) mean that if I was looking for somewhere to stay on the island, I would definitely take the time to read through your website (as opposed to just skipping off to the next on the list which is what would have happened if you had kept your old format). And what a lovely beach shot you now have on the front page...

Well done for being humble enough to accept our constructive criticism - and welcome to the wonderful world of holiday rentals! :lol: :lol: :lol:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sorry, very little time at the moment, but a couple of immediate comments.

I do like the double line spacing. Looks so much neater and easier to read. But then you "spoil" it with so many emboldened words dotted around. I understand what you're doing, but it kind of detracts from the neat look.

One alternative strategy is to use sub headings as a way of calling out key features/facts. Just ask yourself how important is it ?

The only other point is something I've commented on before (to others): Why carry those Google ads ? Are you expecting many tens of thousands of visitors to your website and that many of them will click away from your website so that you can earn a few pence instead of earning from your rental ?

Ditto all those spurious offers at the foot of the page that encourage visitors to browse away from your website.

The keyword is F O C U S !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Fuerte

Post by Fuerte »

Thank you for your comments Richard. I am a bit undecided about the google ads but it does bring in a bit of income. (about 100 dollars every 3 months!)

I am a great believer in links as these are really important and there are so many that say the links should be on the home page. Would I get penalised if I "masked them" ie put them in the same colour as the background?

Normandy - Yes I can always take constructive criticism and if I agree will do something about it. The main reason for posting this post was that I really wasn't happy and wanted some expert advice to convince me!!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Fuerte wrote:.... google ads but it does bring in a bit of income. (about 100 dollars every 3 months!)
Wow ! I'm amazed.

You would certainly do well to take my advice with a pinch of salt :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
pete

Post by pete »

It does look much better and if I were looking for a holiday in your area it would be on the shortlist (us being of 'the space please but we are only 2' variety).

I got half way down the page and then skipped to the summary, good idea.

I am not the pic expert but I would still have liked to see perhaps the living room and bed room shots before the outside, mrsp loves the blue covers btw

I dont know much about the templates side of websites but if I were doing that underline for seos then I would use a header code instead and it would not look so much like emphasis for the sake of it.

for info the ads did not distract me, but I have been googlin all day so they are everywhere now,

pete
CSE

Post by CSE »

I hope you have not paid for a professional translation.
I can see the link to Applied Language. Briefly reading their website it seems that they can professionally translate your website into several languages. Read the Dutch translation it seems that your website has been done by a machine. There are many things that simply do not make any sense. Also the buttons on the left remain in English.
The rest seems fine. But I do have one question why when I click on a button on the left does it open a new Firefox tab? Would it not be better to keep the same tab open?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Fuerte

Post by Fuerte »

HI Ian and Irene

No not paid for any translation it is a "free tool" I use.

I am at a loss why it is opening a new page it has only just started doing it and I can not find anything in the html to suggest it should. I am using buttons in front page which never did but do now!! It is funny it only happens from my home page and is very annoying! :roll: :roll:

Any help would be appreciated