Visitors book - why won't they use it?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

That's a lovely idea- I might try it!! Every time I leave a nice pen it vanishes! Everyone used to write in the book but the last couple of people haven't even though they said they had a fantastic time and would be back!! I must admit I don't leave it open and don't even mention it :oops:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

We have strived to obtain the kind of lively and original comments we once saw many years ago in a guest book in a wonderful place in the Hamptons before we started VR. It was only a tiny apartment in a managed historic hotel, but exquisitely presented and the role model on which we based much of what we did when we first started.

Everything was beautifully presented and a very romantic place, especially in Winter, which is when we visited. The guest book was placed on a small antique writing desk positioned prominantly against a wall, and there specifically for that purpose and only that purpose. The importance the owners placed on their guest book could not be underestimated, but very discreet nevertheless. It came with a small chair, desk lamp and pen and was so inviting, there was no way a visitor could avoid sitting down to read. The book was a page turner and became one of the highlights of our weekend. We talked about it over our candlelit dinner and did not stop laughing for a week. I wish I had copied down some of those entries and recreated at least one in our book to lead the way, except it was an "X" rated book and we are a "G".

The one comment that sticks out in my memory was from the husband who had booked the weekend to try and salvage his failing marriage. After a string of compliments about the place and it's magical atmosphere, he then said that he knew in his heart it wouldn't work, but had hoped that a weekend in such a wonderful place would make the difference. Now he knew that if she could not be happy with him here, she could not be happy with him anywhere and the moment of realization had come when she threw the TV from the galleried bedroom over the railing at him into the living room below. He was very sorry, but would love to come back another time without her.

There were comments from couples who had spent their anniversary there, year after year, and one who said he had just come for the sex, which was the best ever and if anybody wanted a copy of the video to contact him.

That guest book is in another whole class altogether compared to ours, but I'm not complaining. We are more than happy that all but one of our guests this year have used the guest book up to the time of posting.

How you entice a literary masterpiece I don't know, but I do think the trick to get them to put pen to paper is a) to display your guest book in a way that leaves them in no doubt that it's important to you, and b) to remind them at the end of their stay if the opportunity presents itself.

They will then leave a comment as a mark of respect for you, even if it means copying what was written before.
Waves from America
Garri

Post by Garri »

Perhaps a different approach would be to have a folder with all the eating, drinking establishments and activities in the area and invite people to write reviews and a section to add stuff that they've found which isn't in your book. Call it the knowledge book, or local guide to food and drink and other activities.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Joanna,

:lol:
You wiped the frown from my face this morning.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

Garri wrote:Perhaps a different approach would be to have a folder with all the eating, drinking establishments and activities in the area and invite people to write reviews and a section to add stuff that they've found which isn't in your book. Call it the knowledge book, or local guide to food and drink and other activities.
Garri,
Thanks for the suggestion. You might be interested to read this thread, viewtopic.php?p=6402&highlight=#6402 which is all about how we each handle that side of things.
Waves from America
Garri

Post by Garri »

Sorry Joanna, didn't see that thread before.

All good ideas for handling stuff like this. I just wish some of the places we've stayed at exhibited the same diligence to the upkeep of this sort of info.

Thinking about reviews though, I'm not sure I'd have the energy to contribute after a long hike up a steep hill on a sunny day. The thing about holidays is they are bloody exhausting sometimes :wink: