Self-Catering-Breaks.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
spbowman

Self-Catering-Breaks.com

Post by spbowman »

Hello, people. I am quite new to this game but have been viewing this forum frequently and picked up some useful tips. My problem at the moment is with Self-Catering-Breaks.com as I have registered with them but not received an 'activation key' in my e-mail, despite sending them two messages to this effect. Has anyone here had dealings with this site? I think it may be a good site for us as we have a mobile home, and most sites covering France are more gite/villa orientated.

Many thanks

Steve
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, spbowman! Image

I also had trouble uploading information to this site. It is free, and one of the biggest free sites, but I haven't had an enquiry and regret the time I lost putting up ads on it.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi,apparently I am also with them- I had totally forgotten as I have never received any enquiries from them. :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Emdee

Post by Emdee »

Crap - and no communication. And now we have that bloody pop-up every time you change pages.

Waste of time and effort.
janskov

Post by janskov »

I have had 4 inquiries and 1 booking from them.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have registered on this site, but don't hold out much hope. When I try to search for my ski apartment in the Alps, it takes me to a page with Costa del Sol, Tenerife, and Nice on. Also, some apartments from Scotland, but the pics are of elsewhere, some seriuos problems methinks.
Emdee

Post by Emdee »

Try contacting them - joke.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I have done quite well from them considering they are free, about 5 enquiries and two bookings, another enquiry in this morning!
Emdee

Post by Emdee »

Looks like they have just launched the very similar selfcatering.co.uk

Equally useless and still no communication.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have contacted them twice since I set up the property, as it isn't showing up when I search for a ski apartment, but not a word.
Emdee

Post by Emdee »

Oh, and holidayrentals.org are the same bunch of clowns too.

All the sites look very similar and are all run by the same "offshore" Company. I have a suspicion that one's privacy is not all it should be on these sites....
Garri

Post by Garri »

All the sites look very similar and are all run by the same "offshore" Company. I have a suspicion that one's privacy is not all it should be on these sites....
Emdee, you're not wrong there. I call these type of sites 'cookie cutting'.

What is the point of providing all those accommodation types with no content? I clicked on some, screen refreshes, blurb says: Sorry your search returned no results.

They just wasted my time clicking. Sites like this are total nonsense.
scb

Self-catering-breaks etc

Post by scb »

All

We run self-catering-breaks.com, holidayrentals.org and several other sites. All FREE for people with properties to advertise on. Read again those words...FREE...We don't reply to emails as we are FREE, we just don't have the time and most of the emails we get are from whingers who we can't be bothered to listen to. Sorry some of the genuine emails do not get picked up, but hey remember we are FREE and we do try our best.

We are a UK based, who do not sell on email lists etc and have spent a great deal of money allowing you people to list for FREE....read those words again...FREE. Yes we aim to make profit and probably are now, but we aren't ever going to charge even when you whinge and whine. Everyone one of our sites has lots of properties go and look.

So enjoy your free listings and hopefully you will get more leads. We willbe launching more sites and yes it may be a bit inconvenient for you to add your properties sometimes, but then what is a lead worth to you.

:)

(Post edited in line with forum rules)
tansy

Post by tansy »

so how do you make your money - is per click or something....I do know there is no such thing as a free lunch...I'd just like to understand why it is FREE to me - what is in it for you?

All the best

Tansy
paolo

Post by paolo »

:lol:

Welcome scb, with communication skills like that it's just as well you don't charge or respond to emails!

You're right, it's free and we are whingers and whiners. But how do you make money out of it?
Paolo
Lay My Hat