Important cosideration for those who "hide" their

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Normandy Cow

Important cosideration for those who "hide" their

Post by Normandy Cow »

Someone (from LMH I presume) has just started following me on Twitter. I couldn't work out who it was so I clicked through to their website which is for their holiday rental. I thought I'd email them to say Hi, what's your LMH name?

On their website, they have a contact form with a "contact us" button - but I can't use it because I don't use email on this new Mac, I'm just using gmail. And because their email address has been "hidden", presumably to deter spammers, I can't cut and paste their email addy into my gmail, so can't see any way of contacting them.

If I was a potential guest, they may well lose the booking...
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

A very wise warning NC.

This has nothing to do with Twitter or Macintosh and is not limited to Gmail.

The number of people who manage emails only on the web, and do not have any desktop email client is growing so if one does not want to show an email address on one's website, the optimal solution is to use a proper "form".
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
A-two

Post by A-two »

I don't get this. I have used web based email exclusively for years, Gmail as it happens, and I have never had this problem. When I click on "contact us" buttons, they open up a new blank Gmail with the correct email address in the "to" field.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Ooooh, you're so clever !
I didn't know you could do that.

Eventually, found it buried in one of the browser settings(*).
My FF defaults to MS Outlook, but I'm wondering now how or why that was set ?

(*)
In Firefox: Tools > Options > Applications, then select mailto
In IE8: Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab, then you can choose any of Microsoft's email offerings web or desktop, but no Gmail (as far as I could see)
In Safari: DK
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !