Here's what I'd like to pay!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
cottageguru

Here's what I'd like to pay!

Post by cottageguru »

Had an enquiry yesterday from a renter looking for a summer week. We still have 50% remaining but that is usual at this time of year as most of our bookings start up when the spring arrives and the Canadians come out of hibernation.

'I'd like to pay $1400 for the week' he said. Mmmm, since the price is $1750, there seems a bit of a disparity between what he would 'like' to pay and what the price is. I resisted the urge to go back with, 'And I'd like to get $2000', and simply sent a link to our booking form with a confirmation of the rate.

There seems to be an arrogance in some quarters that I don't much like but will go with the flow, stay calm and collected and simply state the facts. Seems to work - he didn't book which is fine by me.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
kteee

Post by kteee »

I've had a couple like this recently - offering around 20% less in euros than my price in sterling for peak weeks!

I'm afraid at this stage of the game, I'm not interested - a couple of weeks before perhaps, but not 4 or 5 months before!
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I had one last year which went

'Please give me your best price, I am not in a rush to book and I am sure you know that there is a lot of competition out there and I have plenty of time to look'

I went back with

The price is xx amount, as advertised on the website, I am sure, with all the competition out there, you will find something cheaper
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi cottageguru. Understand your frustration. The art in our business is biting your tongue and giving a civil answer.

Today, I've had an enquiry for a weekend at a cottage in May or June at a discounted rate. Have sent a very friendly reply to inform them that all three cottages are fully booked. Just omitted to say that they were booked at the advertised price :lol: .
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

i'm tempted to say

'pay cheap you get cheap'

but is that pushing it a bit??!!
chef who will try anything!!
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

Christine Kenyon wrote: Just omitted to say that they were booked at the advertised price :lol: .
Oh no, that would have been the best bit in my view. :lol:
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Or, I would like you pay $2000 so lets meet in the middle at $1750....fair enough?
Cheers
PC
Fil

Post by Fil »

But should one bother to reply at all to enquiries like this ?
If a guy sends 20 emails to all properties in the area asking for the "best price" does he deserve an answer if you are not willing to discount ?
I know that it is good for the credibility of direct from owner offers that all enquiries get answered.
But in my view there are exceptions. This is one of them.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

People asking for deals make me smile (I know I must have a perverse sense of humour :D )

I don't get requests often and most of the time I don't discount but I had another cancellation in June (3rd one so far) so had to put the week back on. I decided to put it up for £2200 but willing to drop to £2000.
Anyways within a couple of days I got an enquiry (a group of girls) first time to Ibiza asking lots of questions so emails flying back and forth. As part of the initial discussion I told them they could take their holiday fri-fri if that helped with flights as the villa was free from the friday am.

Finally she came back; as there're only 6 of them (possibly 7) could they have a discount to £2000.
I replied to say I don't usually but as they're such nice girls yes.

She checks with her mates and comes back to say we want to book...........and.............did I say it was possible for them to arrive on the friday and leave saturday! :shock: :lol:

After I'd stop laughing I said no. As they were on a budget best to stick to 7 nights otherwise they'd be forking out the £200+ they'd just saved!

Just got their 50% deposit in the bank and she'd put a bag of 'Lush' samples in the post to me! :wink:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Fil wrote:But should one bother to reply at all to enquiries like this ?
If a guy sends 20 emails to all properties in the area asking for the "best price" does he deserve an answer if you are not willing to discount ?
I know that it is good for the credibility of direct from owner offers that all enquiries get answered.
But in my view there are exceptions. This is one of them.
I don't think so Fil:

Lets say he gets 20 replies which all say "my best price is my list price" or something very close to those words. He will quickly learn, and maybe if we're lucky, he'll tell his friends that its hard to get discounts for private rentals.

Lets say he gets 19 replies as above, but one who is prepared to discount. Is there a chance he may think "I wonder whats wrong with that one ?"

I suspect there may be many other reasons why you should reply.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Well, he could equally well be attracted by the one owner who was prepared to discount rather than thinking what was wrong with the place.

I've tried to keep out of this, but I have to admit we did this with our recent rental (as punters) in Cape Town. We were getting close to our dates (2 weeks in Feb.), we found several places we liked, and we asked the owners (by phone and email) if they would consider a last-minute discount. One owner gave us 1/3 off and everyone was happy (well, almost, the actual rental is another story), especially as it was an exceptionally attractive property and we were exceptionally amazing guests. :lol:

MG
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

e-richard wrote:Lets say he gets 20 replies which all say "my best price is my list price" or something very close to those words. He will quickly learn, and maybe if we're lucky, he'll tell his friends that its hard to get discounts for private rentals.
Lets say he gets 19 replies as above, but one who is prepared to discount. Is there a chance he may think "I wonder whats wrong with that one ?"
That's my watchword, Richard - we know we're expensive, but we also know we have the best damn rental property in the region. I won't compromise, and I don't want guests who compromise - we reckon our prices are very fair, and obviously so do a lot of guests (3 lots of returners this year).

"Cheapskates Expullibus!" (as Harry Potter probably didn't say, because I can't remember the correct formation!)

Mols :lol:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
olive

Post by olive »

"(well, almost, the actual rental is another story)"

Please tell.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Moliere wrote:... I won't compromise...
Even if its 3 days to go, and you have an empty week ?

... and, of course, I asked very nicely !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Fil

Post by Fil »

e-richard wrote:
Fil wrote: I suspect there may be many other reasons why you should reply.
I agree, And most of all because I try to be professional.
I don't question their right to ask for discounts. Therefore would never get emmotional and "offended" what I question is my obligation to reply to what I consider a non-serious offer