WVR buys holiday-rentals,greatrentals,cyberrentals,a1,rent10

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
debk

WVR buys holiday-rentals,greatrentals,cyberrentals,a1,rent10

Post by debk »

Wow. I'm going to copy the whole press release here but, first, a link to the new parent site:
http://www.wvrgroup.com/index.htm

Thoughts anyone?
debk

============================================
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Suzanne Miller
DRAFT – June 23, 2005
SPM Communications
(817) 329-3257 or
(469) 227-3260

WVR Group Announces Formation of Leading Online Distribution Channel for Vacation Rentals

WVR Group today formally announced the formation of the world's largest international online distribution channel for vacation rental properties. Led by an experienced team of online and travel industry experts, WVR Group attracted significant investments from founders and leading venture capital firms, Austin Ventures and Redpoint Ventures.

WVR Group CEO Brian Sharples expects to dramatically enhance the experience of finding and securing vacation rental properties for consumers. "Vacation rentals represent a $30 billion dollar slice of the travel industry, and have always been an attractive alternative to hotels," he says. "We intend to combine our worldwide base of properties with leading-edge technology to make it easier than ever for travelers to find and secure a home or condo for their next vacation."

As part of the formation of WVR Group, the company announced the merger and acquisition of five leading companies that currently offer vacation rental listings on the internet,
www.cyberrentals.com, www.greatrentals.com, www.a1vacations.com, www.holiday-rentals.com, and www.rent101.com. On a combined basis, WVR Group is already serving nearly 20 million travelers per year in the U.S. and Europe and provides more than 50,000 properties available for rent.

"Our existing sites have done a tremendous job of connecting owners and managers of vacation rental properties with travelers from all over the world," said Sharples. "We plan to build on that experience and move the industry to the next level, making booking a vacation rental as easy on the internet as finding a hotel room."

WVR Group is a privately-held company based in Austin, TX.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

interesting - I guess it's watch this space.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

well I suppose it will give us all more coverage - and should force some of the cowboys out....reminds me a bit of the accountancy firms with their huge great long names - pricewaterhousecoopers......etc. and all the Life Companies....that's modern life no faces in business any more hey ho - but if it means easier for folk to find us - good - but it also could mean that there is even more choice - we just have to wait and see!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I'm disappointed not to have heard anything from the staff at holiday-rentals.
Best,
Alexia.
debk

Post by debk »

I, too, was surprised and disappointed to not hear anything from the two companies with whom I have paid listings. Not even anything on their websites.

On another note: I did some research on the CEO of this new conglomerate, Brian Sharples. He's bounced from high-tech to high-tech with the last few seeming to have disappeared or gone into certified insolvency (garden.com for instance, which rode the internet bubble and crashed hard, with the domain now owned by Burpee Seeds). Basically, Brian and his brother and sis-in-law appear to have a lot of financial backing and tend to bounce around looking for the next high-tech "hit." They tried a luxury residential real-estate venture prior to this one which, after a few initial press releases, seems to have either gone underground or failed. I could not find any indication that Brian has VR experience.

With holiday-rentals and greatrentals not even contacting their current customers about this turn of events, my hopes that they would, at least initially, play an active part on behalf of us owners is shrinking. Watch and wait...
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Holiday-rentals are going to issue a press release shortly, which will confirm this operation.
I understand that 2 new sites are being built by the H-R team, one French language, the other German.
Marcelle will stay with the new company for at least 2 years - I hope!
Best,
Alexia.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Does this mean we get better exposure on the other sites if we are with HR??
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

I think it is a case of wait and see...I honestly do think if there is a big merge having worked with Marcelle for so long it will be to our benefit...I wait with interest
ross

WVR GROUP ANNOUNCES FORMATION OF LEADING ONLINE DISTRIBUTION

Post by ross »

News Release

WVR GROUP ANNOUNCES FORMATION OF LEADING ONLINE DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL FOR HOLIDAY RENTALS

British Technology Drives Acquisition of Leading UK Holiday Property Service

Award winning British technology is to be the driving force behind the world's dominant internet classified listings business for holiday rentals following the acquisition of Holiday-Rentals.com by Texas based company WVR Group.

The transaction will create the largest international online distribution channel for vacation rental properties, encompassing over 55,000 individual properties. Led by an experienced team of online and travel industry experts, WVR Group attracted significant investments from leading US venture capital firms, Austin Ventures and Redpoint Ventures, as well as from Richard Coundley and Marcelle Speller, the co-founders of Holiday-Rentals.com.

WVR Group CEO Brian Sharples expects to dramatically enhance the experience of finding and securing holiday rental properties for consumers: "Vacation rentals represent a $30 billion slice of the travel industry and have always been an attractive alternative to hotels" he said. "We intend to combine our worldwide base of properties with leading-edge technology based on Holiday-Rentals.com's well-proven systems, to make it easier than ever for travellers to find and secure a home or condo for their next vacation."

Holiday-Rentals.com's website technology, TRIPS, which won the prestigious New Media Age award in 2003 will become the backbone for operations; forming a multi-lingual, multi-currency, multi-brand, worldwide database of holiday rental properties.

For existing Holiday-Rentals.com advertisers and visitors it will be business as usual, but with more properties and improved services and features, delivered within shorter timeframes, due to the increase in investment and resources.

Richard Coundley and Marcelle Speller, co-founders of Holiday-Rentals.com are significant shareholders in the new company and hold senior positions in it. Richard becomes President, Europe and sits on the Board of Directors of WVR Group in the USA whilst Marcelle takes the role of VP European Operations and Marketing.

Brian Sharples is the former CEO of IntelliQuest Information Group, an Austin-based high-tech market research firm that was sold to a subsidiary of WPP Group in 2000.

Marcelle Speller, comments: "We are extremely proud that our UK-developed online publishing technology has been recognised as being world-class in its design and functionality. The investment made by WVR Group will enable even stronger growth and allow us to offer enhanced services to site visitors, as well as providing vast opportunities for owners and managers of holiday rentals properties."

Holiday-Rentals.com joins previously acquired brands www.cyberrentals.com, www.greatrentals.com, www.a1vacations.com and www.rent101.com

END For further press information contact:
Sarah Johnson, Flair PR on 020 7274 9608, sarah@flairpr.com
Ross McGowan

www.Holiday-Rentals.co.uk
ross@holiday-rentals.com
Tel +44 (0)20 8743 5577
Fax +44 (0)20 8740 3863
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

encompassing over 55,000 individual properties
Not sure if I like the sound of that....how is anyone gonna find my little property??? :?
tansy

Post by tansy »

Marcella had the courtesy to telephone me personally to let me know re this merge..i wish them all the very best and congratulate them all at Holiday-Rentals.com - all their hard work & leading technology has paid off.....but like you Linda I have the same feeling...how is anyone going to find my houses amoungst 55,000 others.

When I started this holiday let business almost 5 years ago we were one of 2,400 houses...then it has built to today' figures of 13,000+....no enquiries for 2 months now :cry: Empty september in one house.

So again I suppose it is a case of wait and see...perhaps they have a bigger budget to throw at marketing to attract more clicks....
ross

Post by ross »

To answer your concerns, your properties will be found in exactly the same way as they are when listed on holiday-rentals.com, by highly sophisticated search technology!

It does not matter if there are 2 properties or 1,000 properties in your area. As long as the renter is searching for exactly what you have to offer you will be found! this is why the inquiries generated are highly qualified and lead to high conversions.

I am sure Tansy, you will agree with this.

55,000 properties is the composite of all the sites in the WVR Group.
Ross McGowan

ross@holiday-rentals.com
Tel +44 (0)20 8743 5577
Fax +44 (0)20 8740 3863
tansy

Post by tansy »

Ross

very good point - and I am the first to say well done to h-r.com and have been always very happy with the results.

But...there's always a but(!), how do I know that the people searching are putting in what I have to offer...especially price wise.

Again, this year (it happened a year before last, I relented and did another offer), I have had my fingers burnt yet again by letting out our St Germain property at a reduced rate...we got totally unsuitable people in who totally abused the house...it was the price that attracted them plus the fact we are on the beach - I'm convinced of that.

Those that pay full rate, do not question it, respect the property and look after it...the ONLY complaints I have ever had have been from bargain hunters and the only folk I have ever had the need to complain about myself have been those type of people! Dross!

So Ross how do we go on the price issue amongst so many on the market? Especially now as the grotty little "coal hole" 'gites' around have put their prices up?...Wait until the paying public eventually work it out that they have to pay for standards? I'll be broke by then!

We also in Normandy have a big problem with Brittany Ferries now P&O have pulled out...the Ferry prices have rocketed....but I digress this is another issue.

I'm interested re the pricing strategy though - it is a diluted market and obviously Mr & Mrs Holiday Maker want value! Which I hasten to add I think I give!
ross

Post by ross »

Tansy,

I will contact you offline as your question is specifically about your situation.

If there is anyone else who has a specific question about their situation please can you contact me either by email or by the number below.

I dont want to break any of Paolo's rules!!
Ross McGowan

ross@holiday-rentals.com
Tel +44 (0)20 8743 5577
Fax +44 (0)20 8740 3863
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ross,

I think this is a significant change for existing Holiday Rental clients.

Putting aside any press releases you might have made, when are you going to get round to giving personal notice to each and every Holiday Rental client?

Alan