First-timers...and here is our site..

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Starchasers

First-timers...and here is our site..

Post by Starchasers »

Hi all,

Firstly, what a wonderful collection of advice, encouragement and information you have here. Thank you all for the
contributions you have made that have helped steer us in our
setting up phase.

Our website is here http://www.starchasersholidays.com

Would really appreciate your views.

We have been up and live 3 weeks now with holiday rentals, owners direct, independant cottages and a few smaller sites. We have two confirmed bookings in May and for New Year.

have just had an enquiry from a group of 12 seventeen year olds!As much as we are tempted as its in high season I think we will pass......seems very risky.

Our property is near the Lincolnshire coast, with some gorgeous beaches and nature reserves nearby.

Thanking you all in advance for your time and wish you all well.

Mike
Starchasers
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Welcome to the Forum Mike :wink:

Wow!! Lovely Place[and website]
I know nothing of techy stuff and Im sure others will give their opinion, but visually its great .and your place is stunning.
I live in Norfolk and know the area well.

Good luck with it all, Im sure you will do well!! :D

ps I think the 17 year olds decision was the right one :wink:
declanja

Post by declanja »

Welcome to LMH. There is a great bunch of experienced owners here willing to share their expertise. I have learned alot here in the last year. Well done on your site, it has a very neat and clean feel to it. Your property looks very good and don't let to the 17 year olds! My only advice is regarding the type size and colour. I foiund it a strain on my aging eyes. I'm not sure is the type too small or if a bolder colour would help.

Declan
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Your site could look exactly the same but without using Flash.

If greater visibility towards Search Engines is your final goal, I would consider having your site deframed and ... deflashified - definitely.

Nevertheless as it stands - it looks pretty nice.
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

fabulous property starchasers! :) and i love that your pics are clickable (i can click to see larger image) not sure what the correct term is but you know what i mean.

ok. my points:

1. the dark blue edge may be just too dark a colour? not really sure about it.

2. i find the writing rather small - and i have fairly good eyesight.

3. on 'additional information' you mention towels/linens twice in the list.

4. on 'our images' - and i know it's nearly 100% not the case, but my first thought on pic 4 of the seal was that it was a dead seal. i know it won't be but maybe another shot would be better? maybe replace it with the adorable seal pup on 'local info' section.

5. on 'video tour' you've left the text 'insert body text here ...' in the side section. oh, and i couldn't get either video to work.

6. on 'image gallery' and this is just a niggle of mine, the bed (which is lovely) is a bit ruffled looking, ie the duvet needs smoothing and straightening up.

7. i'm not sure about your comment page - i don't think i like the idea of people feeling free to comment on your property or past guests only happening upon the place (which is how it reads) to leave a belated comment? others here with heaps more experience might be able to expand on this. it just makes me uneasy.

8. on 'reservations' "booking form and procedure" over runs so all text is not there.

that's my ideas on how you might further improve an already pretty good site. :)

catherine
Starchasers

Post by Starchasers »

Big Sis, Declan, Henry G and Catherine,

Thank you all so much for your comments, insights and advice it really is appreciated.

1. Re font. V good point and I'll have a play with this over the weekend.

2. Flash. - I hear what you are saying Henry but my skill set doesn't stretch to html or similar and we needed to get something up and running quickly and as we already had an account with Moonfruit we followed that route. If you know where we can get this done or estimated cost it is something we would definately look at. I did a bit of research into flash SEO about 2 years ago and it is far less favourable than html, but another project for the weekend is to really go to town on links, meta tags and key words to help combat this.

3. Catherine. Thanks for all your time and detail! :)

The duplicated linen, 'insert text', none playing video, and comments pages have all been removed. I have no excuse for these except pure tardiness! Have also amended title to booking procedure.

I'll leave the duvet straightening to my better half whilst I hunt for a more lively looking seal :)

Oh and yes, we turned down the tribe of 12 seventeen year olds.

Thanks to you all.

Mike
Starchaser Holidays
http://www.starchasersholidays.com
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Starchasers wrote: 2. Flash. - I hear what you are saying Henry but my skill set doesn't stretch to html or similar and we needed to get something up and running quickly and as we already had an account with Moonfruit we followed that route. If you know where we can get this done or estimated cost it is something we would definately look at. I did a bit of research into flash SEO about 2 years ago and it is far less favourable than html, but another project for the weekend is to really go to town on links, meta tags and key words to help combat this.
I would go as far as you can with Flash, but make it a future project to transform it into HTML.

Again - if top SEO is your aim.

I wouldn't spend too much energy on meta-tags and keywords at this stage. Concentrate on other issues.

About cost - it depends; the average is about £1200 - to have a site properly SEO'ed and deflashified.
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

Starchasers wrote:Big Sis, Declan, Henry G and Catherine,

Thank you all so much for your comments, insights and advice it really is appreciated.

1. Re font. V good point and I'll have a play with this over the weekend.

2. Flash. - I hear what you are saying Henry but my skill set doesn't stretch to html or similar and we needed to get something up and running quickly and as we already had an account with Moonfruit we followed that route. If you know where we can get this done or estimated cost it is something we would definately look at. I did a bit of research into flash SEO about 2 years ago and it is far less favourable than html, but another project for the weekend is to really go to town on links, meta tags and key words to help combat this.

3. Catherine. Thanks for all your time and detail! :)

The duplicated linen, 'insert text', none playing video, and comments pages have all been removed. I have no excuse for these except pure tardiness! Have also amended title to booking procedure.

I'll leave the duvet straightening to my better half whilst I hunt for a more lively looking seal :)

Oh and yes, we turned down the tribe of 12 seventeen year olds.

Thanks to you all.

Mike
Starchaser Holidays
lol - we think alike. 'i NEED to take a pic/that job needs done btw - as i sling my camera over my shoulder' :lol:
chrisj

Post by chrisj »

Hi Mike

Think your website looks really great but agree that text is to small and also agree with HenryG that the site needs rebuilding in HTML for SEO.

Think that as you have already done the design work and have all the text and images the cost of sorting out should be around half what Henry suggests though.

Nice job on the property refit and decoration !
Brittany Gites - holiday cottages / Gites by Jewells
Chris Jewell - Website Design Brittany
pambon

Post by pambon »

Welcome Mike; it's a lovely place you have and thank goodness the teenagers will not have access to it!!

I don't understand a thing about technology so the only comment I can make is that yes, the text is a bit on the small side and I concur with our Irish lass, catherinedonegal, about the duvet on the bed!

All the best for this coming season.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Mike

Welcome to the forum

My comments:

I hate blue, but absolutely loved its use on your website. I liked the whole design, simple but very effective

I too thought the print a bit hard to read

Shouldn't the wow be singular

I too caught the beds not looking too inviting. The white one might have more impact with some bright cushions and the other has linens hanging from the bottom on the back and side which look like they should be tucked in.

What about a vase of flowers or a picture on the wall in the bedroom with the large white bed covering?

You made use of wonderful natural materials and colours in the property and it looks great :!:
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
Starchasers

Post by Starchasers »

Thanks again to you all for a) you kind words and b) your invaluable advice which has all been taken on board.
Currently wrestling with page lengths to accomodate large font and the fact that enquiries seem to have fallen off a cliff since first week of March :( - but thats a subject for a new post.

Hope all is well

M
omar

Post by omar »

Hola Mike

Wow all I have to say! I loved the flash tour, good idea. I didn't see a guest book tab. I am also a newbie here so don't feel bad 8) My site is also new. Feel free to suggest anything.

Omar
http://www.orlandovacationrentals411.com

Orlando Florida Pet Friendly Rentals