How long do you wait for the deposit to arrive?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
reddevil

How long do you wait for the deposit to arrive?

Post by reddevil »

When somebody makes a booking I usually reply saying the booking is only confirmed when we receive the deposit so please send the deposit within 10 days or the booking will be cancelled.

Unfortunately, I recently received a booking for August, sent my usual reply, and then had to advise two other possible bookings for the same date that the villa was probably booked - just waiting for the deposit.

After 10 days I hadn't received the deposit so sent an email chaser and they advised me that they had booked a different villa.

How do other people handle this type of situation and how long do you give them to send their deposit?
Last edited by reddevil on Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
janskov

Post by janskov »

Yes, that is a nightmare.
I actually ask people to pay at once and to send me a mail when they have done the bank transfer.
If I do not get a mail within the next two bank days I assume they have changed their mind and start to accept new bookings.
I only "got burned" once, and were lucky that they accepted equivalent accommodation.
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

As far as I am concerned a booking is not a booking until the deposit is received. I would expect that to arrive with the booking form. That way if people are serious about booking they make sure they commit with the 'cash' and you know where you stand.

My advice would be, if you have had no money you are free to book the dates with someone else!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I allow normally allow people one week to send in their deposit.
If I were to get another enquiry in the meantime, I would re-contact the original people to advise them that I have had another enquiry, and ask them whether the deposit is on its way. Obviously this is not foolproof, as the first people could say "yes it is", and then still change their minds, but so far this has never happened (but there's always a first time!)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

When someone inquires, I hold the house for them for 5 business days. After that, it's open market again...

When I get another inquiry for the same week, I explain the situation to the new inquirers. I then e-mail the original client and ask them to let me know if they have any questions, say we have another inquiry for the same week but they still have first priority, and that if they decide to book somewhere else, I'd appreciate it if they'd let me know. People have been fine with that so far, since I don't put any pressure on them and let them know they still have X days to decide without any fear of being scooped.

In terms of deposits, this is another vote in favor of PayPal, with which there is no justification for a "the check's in the mail" excuse.

Cheers!
Brooke
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I hold for 5 working days too,if the money hasn't arrived by then I feel free to re-book,after contacting the "originals" to let them know.

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

We give our renters one week after they get our contract to get us a deposit (We guess the arrival date).

For us it really depends on the week in question. If its a popular week there is less pressure and we will wait a while longer than the set times as you know you will sell it in any case. For fringe weeks we chase the initial enquirer.

It also really depends on the discussions we have had with the existing booker. We find you tend to get a feel if they are serious or not. In any case we will tell the new enquirer we have a booking request and will contact them to know the outcome, if they are keen on the property they sometimes hold out to hear.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Good question! We tend to follow the approach taken by Catherine, Brooke and Fraise. I tend to chase for the deposit pretty quickly. I'm not always so quick off the mark for the final payment (but I'm working on it :oops: )
Garri

Post by Garri »

Accept credit cards is the answer!

We booked a place in Gaucin (Andalucia) last Christmas and I faxed the owner my credit card details - I never email my card details, and he didn't have facilities to take card payments on-line.

OK, so the owner happened to also own a small rural hotel across the street, so he was able to take cards.

On the day before we checked out, he billed my card in his restaraunt. But I would've been willing to pay him on the day we did the initial deal. Why? Because I wanted to stay at his place and not miss out.

If you're running a rentals business then you should have credit card facilities - pure and simple. I would never send an owner a cheque. Old skool.

Deposits are hassle, why bother? If I'm interested enough to pay you upfront then why make our lives more complicated by asking for a deposit, then final balance? Do hotel booking sites do that? No, they want full payment upfront (usually)

If you can't obtain a merchant account then use Paypal and become verified.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Garri wrote:If you're running a rentals business then you should have credit card facilities - pure and simple. I would never send an owner a cheque. Old skool.
Having credit card facilities costs commission which owners generally have to bear (unless they charge a 'convenience' fee for the person paying). There are cheaper/free ways of receiving money.
Deposits are hassle, why bother? If I'm interested enough to pay you upfront then why make our lives more complicated by asking for a deposit, then final balance?
Not asking for full payment at the time of booking is beneficial to the renter, not the owner. As a renter I am much happier to pay 25%, with the balance payable later, than the whole lot straight away.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Paolo said
As a renter I am much happier to pay 25%, with the balance payable later, than the whole lot straight away.
I totally agree. People sometimes book over a year in advance for their holidays, especially large groups. However, they may still be in the process of paying for the current years holidays. Or they book just after Christmas when they can't afford to pay out a lot of money immediately. So a 25% deposit works very well in all instances, except for last minute bookings when people expect to pay the total balance.
With my French bookings, I don't take the final balance until the renters arrive on site (as per Gites de France).
Garri

Post by Garri »

Having credit card facilities costs commission which owners generally have to bear
Yes, but you're running a business, right? I run a business too, and I take credit cards, so well aware of commission costs. Any business offering these facilities bears the cost - not the buyer, that's life.

For example, if you had a merchant account (in the UK) you would only be charged a straight 50p if someone paid by debit card. That's not bad, is it?
There are cheaper/free ways of receiving money.
Yes, but are they quicker than taking cards?

As someone who has been running my own business for over 10 years I've yet to find any 'free' ways to receive money! Even when clients send me money from overseas my bank takes 7 pounds for the privaledge.

I can't run my company with a personal bank account so have to use a business account.

Again, as a customer I wouldn't want to pfaff around with sending 25% desposit cheques etc. I'm happy to pay all upfront
by credit card, safe in the knowledge that it's booked and protected by my card issuer.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Garri wrote:As someone who has been running my own business for over 10 years I've yet to find any 'free' ways to receive money!
Cheque, CHAPS bank transfer, online transfer, cash paid into an account, and cash on arrival - all free ways to receive payments.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

If you have a business bank account, as I do, then almost all of those methods are chargeable, even someone paying cash into your account is chargeable (believe it or not).

The only method in your list that is free, if you're running a proper business, is cash on arrival.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

In my experience Garri is right in saying there are big differences between personal accounts and business accounts.

I used to be the managing partner of a fairly large UK law firm and, as such, ran the firm including its finances. The firm's banks would make a charge on every single transaction going through the Office account (as opposed to Clients' Account). The individual charges were very small but when applied to an account which had many millions of pounds going through it in any one year they added up to a substantial figure. The only way the firm could avoid those charges was to accept a lower than normal interest rate on deposit accounts.

When it comes to personal accounts I think you are right, so long as there is no cross-border or cross-currency element involved.

That brings us back to the question bothering many property owners. How can one take a rental payment in £'s and convert it to €'s at minimal cost?

When sitting on your terrace enjoying a cool and relaxing moment after a long hard and hot day have you never noticed a slight itching in your back pocket? I'll tell you what it is. It's the fingers of the tax man and your banker getting between you and your hard earned money.

Regards

Alan