How long do you wait for the deposit to arrive?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Of course, if you really want to experience banking come to Italy! You pay for everything including having a card, chequebook, account, closing an account......

Then of course there's the time it take to do anything.

Joking apart, I don't think any industry should be so full of itself that it can afford not to listen to it's customers and constantly try o improve the service offering. Alan, does that put me on the side of the good the bad or the ugly?!!!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ciapolin wrote:Alan, does that put me on the side of the good the bad or the ugly?!!!
I was observing on the fact that most people working for banks these days know nothing about banking. They are employed to sell non-banking products like insurance or are working in call centres. The customer can't even get to talk with those few remaining who are real bankers. It is not a criticism of the employees, it is a criticism of how the banks have organised themselves. For me, the result is that personal service has gone out of the window.

Since you are a member of this forum by definition you must be one of the good.

Regards

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

" come to Italy!" - where else would you find yourself bargaining for the interest rate on your account? When we lived in Rome our neighbour worked for the old Banco di Roma - he got us a special rate. Incredibile! We used to say - re Italian banking in general - that it was an historical accident that banking started in Genova/Genoa. I think it was the most inefficent system I have ever encountered, although the French take some beating. The old Tresor Public (in FRance) was great but they don't have private customers anymore. The best today could be La Poste - it seems to be the cheapest, too.
Best,
Alexia.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Since you are a member of this forum by definition you must be one of the good.
aw shucks! :wink:
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
carolcmx

Post by carolcmx »

Hi Vrooje,

Just wanted you to know that I used the structure of your post (July 11th) to chase up some people. I got a nice response, some had gotten fixed up elswhere and I got some firm bookings. It felt very satisfying to put things to rest in me because some wanted the same dates. So thank you for that. It was very helpful.

cheers

Carol
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Although our bank in spain (Bankinter) does charge for just about everything, in line with most banks in spain, we have a gem of an account manager. He's a German guy, speaks Spanish and english as well, and is absolutely unbelieveably helpful about anything, not just banking stuff. When we were having trouble with getting an electric supply in the first place, he told us how it all worked, if we can't get our internet account to do a transaction (missing digit to the donor account or whatever) he takes the details and does it for us; once when we went to see him to collect some paperwork for the house purchase, we wanted to go to a garden centre to get some plants and we mentioned it. He told us where was the best one to go to, drew us a map and everything. He's incredibly cheerful and helpful, always willing to make a phone call about something on our behalf. So there are good ones out there. If he left the bank we'd be in real poo, cos I don't think anyone else there speaks much English, let alone goes out of their way like he does.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
A-two

Post by A-two »

Knightowl wrote:If he left the bank we'd be in real poo, cos I don't think anyone else there speaks much English, let alone goes out of their way like he does.
I would invite that man to lunch to show him how much I appreciated him. Good bank managers do move on, but with luck, it won't be too far away and he will take you with him. And if he's the kind of bank manager I think he is, he will accept the lunch invitation gracefully, then pick up the bill.
Waves from America
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Yep, He's on our list of people we must take out for lunch when we next go - the last few times we've seen him he's been really busy and so have we, he's always got several people waiting to see him, very popular.

The first time we actually met him was when we had to go and see him to sign the paperwork for the mortgage; and at the time we had no water or electricity and were sleeping on camp beds because we had just completed on the house. We looked pretty grubby and I was having a very bad hair day - I think my hair looked like Ken Dodd's - mainly vertical. They were having building work done at the bank, knocking walls out and drilling with huge drills. Every time one of us opened our mouth to speak, someone started drilling or hammering and drowning it all out. By the end of the meeting we were all hysterical with laughter as the whole thing descended into a kind of farce, it was like something out of a comedy show. I knew then that he was a good guy and he's been great ever since. So yes, he deserves that lunch....
Nightowl
backwards......
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I know exactly who you're talking about Knightowl, he's our Account Manager too and I will second everything you say.

He's fantastic and must have an army of admirers in the Chiclana area!!!

Actually, I've been wondering if we share the same Caretaker too!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Hiya LaLuz

I've Pm'd you with the names so you can see if you have guessed correctly - I'm pretty sure we must share the same account manager though, there can't be two of him - although they could do with two like him.

If we share those two in common we probably shared the same lawyer too... do the initials MT mean anything to you??? He was very good too, we had our moments but I think he did a lot of stuff in the background to get our house purchase to work - sorry, I'm going off thread here -

take care

Knightowl
Nightowl
backwards......
accommodation-in-spain

Post by accommodation-in-spain »

hhhhmm I think I recognise the description of this chap too or maybe all bank managers in the Chiclana de la Frontera area are helpful and nice?

By the way, where is the best place to get plants near our area - I would love to know :D

Thanks
Zoe
www.Costa-Luz-Holiday.com - your on-line holiday brochure for the Costa de la Luz
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

We go to the place recommended by CK (are the initials familiar?). It's on the main road (A340?) going from Barossa to Conil, there's a bend on the road before you get to the Conil turnoff. On the right there is a place called El Tejar, you can see it from the road, there are ceramics and pots etc on the courtyard. But at the back there is a massive area full of plants, trees, climbers etc. Prices are very reasonable (well in the UK they would be!). We got a nice fig tree about 3ft high for about 15 euro and a lemon tree for about 17 euro. You can get tools, compost, pots, houseplants, bedding plants, shrubs, also huge birds of paradise, banana trees, agaves, bamboos and huge papyrus plants etc. Just a nice place for a wander really too.
Nightowl
backwards......
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hey, my initials are "CK" but I don't recognise the above. I live on the A592 in Cumbria, UK!

But I have various comments to make on the above varied and interesting thread:

1. Despite my earlier post saying that I tend to follow up quickly on unpaid deposits, I have today left an answerphone message for a repeat customer to say that I have waited two months for their deposit (for a peak week in 2006) and as I haven't received it yet I consider the week to be available for anyone who comes along - and they no longer qualify for the discount I offered. Am I being too harsh? This is after 3 phone calls!!!!

2. I deal with an internet bank and a high street bank in the UK and, until recently, I was a limited company. I totally agree with Garri's comments - although being an employee of a limited company rather than being a partner in a partnership company meant I paid considerably less tax .... and I mean a lot less tax even if I had to pay for every cheque I deposited.

3. But for the first time ever I have experienced internet bank fraud. Some bugger has removed a considerable amount of money from my account (and I knew nothing about it) but I would say that my bank have been superb in how they've handled it. Let me know if you need more info

4. I'm sure there was a 4th point but I've forgotten what it is!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Christine,
"Some bugger has removed a considerable amount of money from my account " - HOW???????????????? Please tell!
Re your returning (or non-returning) guests: several of our regular visitors simply wanted a change after coming back each year...after year...after year. I understand that. Yours might have decided to change and not had the courtesy to tell you. I don't think you were too harsh - just realistic.
Best,
Alexia.
carolcmx

Post by carolcmx »

Hi Christine,

I would also like to know how it was done, the theft I mean. I give my Iban and Bic to my prospective guests for a bank transfer, was it that way?

I think you were very good to wait so long. I wait a few days after the transfer is to be made and then contact them to ask for the details of the transfer, date and amount so that I can track it if needed. If I receive no answer to that, within a week I tell them I have an enquiry and will have to respond and that usually shifts things one way or the other. Business is business after all.

Cheers :D

Carolcmx