internet access in your holiday rental

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
catherinedonegal

internet access in your holiday rental

Post by catherinedonegal »

i want to have internet access for our guests and in the main it is a fixed charge per month to me but there is a download limit and although this is very generous the problem may arise where people decide to download such things as movies on a day to day basis. this might result in additional charges being levied on me for exceeding the download limit.

what do you do about this problem?
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

The only thing I can think of is to make the Wifi system secure and only provide the Wifi access key if the guests pay a hefty deposit up front. When your monthly bill comes in, you check the usage (assuming your provider provides you with sufficient detail) and refund the deposit or part of thereof. I suppose if you had to make a deduction then you'd send a photocopy of the bill along with whatever was left of the deposit to demonstrate that their usage was excessive.

That the only thing I can think of, sorry ! A clumsy system really - maybe better to recommend they head off to the nearest McDonalds to surf !
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Agree with Richard above.

The other thing you may be able to do is check with your ISP and see if they offer a feature whereby they send you an email when you get close to the limit. I have managed this with my ISP in Portugal, and so far so good - i.e. I've never received the warning email :wink:

Of course, what you then do with this information is another story :?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

thanks richard & richard. i was just telling one of my sons my concerns about this and apparently the download limit we have each month is in excess of 10gb so according to son, they'd pretty much have to be downloading 24/7. maybe i'll be ok then. i like the idea still of seeing if i can be informed if i am reaching my limit so will look into that. to be sure, to be sure. :D

another thing. do you all lock your access to um, dodgy sites? i would like to but i am also going to leave the desktop in the hall so that it is in 'public' and hopefully that will put people off surfing in muddy waters. :shock:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't lock access to anything, but then I don't provide a computer, just the internet access.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I also do not provide a computer, just access...I probably would not block content though - I tried that at home (I have an 8yr old) on his account and it often blocks sites I do allow him to access...like our email provider....wordpress (where he started a blog), etc. - I took off all the child locks and now just make sure I'm in the room while he's on the computer...was becoming a big pain for me to unblock every site. (I do block all the pay-per-view channels and movies though on the TV in the rental) I'd probably wait and see about the download - I notice a lot of guests use the computer to check in...but most don't sit on it all day or watch movies - may be a non-issue. You could always just leave a note in the computer space about it and tell them large down-loads will be charged for or something.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

HelenB wrote:I don't lock access to anything, but then I don't provide a computer, just the internet access.
Ditto, and I go even further, I don't even secure the access to the WiFi...

(Our house is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by fields, so people would have to trespass onto the property to access it).
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Normandy Cow wrote: Ditto, and I go even further, I don't even secure the access to the WiFi...
Me neither, similar situation and it makes it easy for everyone to use. Last week's guests watched the Man Utd champions league match on the laptop they brought with them, I only have 1Mo bandwidth but it was fine for watching the match.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Catherine

I would suggest that offering Wifi is important but not a computer. This is your 1st year and you have very high expenditure and are offering Daisy Castle at a very reasonable price. If you've a TV and DVD player I don't see the need, because so many people have internet access via their phones or they will bring their laptops if it's essential.

Your guests will be coming to explore Donegal, not to sit in on the computer. You've a pub next door and I'm sure offer a TV and other entertainment for the evenings. You cater for a large ish number of people and that could lead to abuse/damage.

If you had a swimming pool, therefore your guests were self-contained, so to speak, then it might be more important to offer it.

I think you should be more worried about offering a good selection of Leprecauns for the garden :wink: I'd be very disappointed going all that way and not finding a one.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
brenda

Post by brenda »

IMO Chianti is right.

WiFi access is, I feel, essential nowadays in decent holiday accommodation but people who rely on being in web contact whilst away from home will bring their own Laptop and don't expect one to be provided.

Parents may well be happy to have their kids away from a computer for a couple of weeks!
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I also provide internet access without a computer and agree with Brenda (Brenda, what are you doing up so late on the computer - I thought you were an early morning bird??? :wink: ) people bring their laptops and don't even ask if I supply a computer. It has definitely worked to my advantage as most apartments in my area don't have internet, so I pick up bookings from guests who usually have their own businesses and need to keep in touch.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Rather than start another poll, I'd be interested to know whether you think that WiFi is that important ?

As opposed to simple Internet connection - i.e. ethernet cable from box on wall to plug in to laptop.

From where I sit, its:
a) more secure
b) one less point of failure to worry about

But it does mean only 1 laptop at a time, and you have to use it at the desk, and not by the pool!
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I have a returning businessman coming in next week, he always brings his own laptop. Like AliFrank, nobody has ever asked if we supply computers either.
We simply provide a free 24 hr connection and always keep a few different adaptors to hand incase their own leads don't fit our system.
I was quite suprised by how many people do want to use the net and we have gained extra bookings because of the system. They are usually off season guests, on the whole.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hi Richard, in practice I don't think it matters, but to advertise wi-fi certainly sounds snazzier and more up-market!

There is also the portability factor - people picture themselves using it on the terrasse (which I find doesn't work, because even in the shade it's too bright out there to see the screen comfortably!) I guess it does mean that someone who needs a bit of peace and quiet can work wherever they want without being tied to just the one spot.

I always advise people to bring an ethernet cable with them anyway, just in case of connectivity problems.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I provide a couple of ethernet cables just in case, and was really grateful to have them for the guests once when the Wifi packed in for a day or so.

I think it's a huge plus - if you have to actually work, it means you can take the laptop off to a quiet room, and if you're just using it to check weather, get restaurant or activity recommendations, phone numbers, directions, opening hours etc, you can do it in the garden, on the sofa etc etc.

A router isn't expensive and can always be bypassed if there's a problem.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix