Male or Female German name ?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Beanie

Male or Female German name ?

Post by Beanie »

We've had an German enquiry from a "Wieteke (+ Surname)" - does anyone know if this is a male or female Christian name?

I usually communicate with guests using Christian names from the off, but is it more courteous in German-speaking countries to refer to people you don't know as Mr / Mrs or Herr / Frau ?

Beanie
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Beanie,

Is there any possibility at all it could be Dutch? Sounds a bit that way. And not sure about the gender, but if I were a betting bunny, I would go for female.

If you're replying in English, I would jump in with the first name, no one will be shocked. If you're replying in German (or Dutch), I would be more formal.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Beanie

It looks Dutch to me too, not a joke and don't know why but also female.

Why not try to Google the name and see what comes up.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Yup, google search suggests Dutch female.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Rocket Rab wrote: If you're replying in German (or Dutch), I would be more formal.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes well, Rabs, you know what a polyglot I am ! I can just about muster an English response these days :lol:

Joking aside - thanks for the tips and don't know why I didn't think of googling. Turns out SHE appears to be a model from Netherlands and also has a lovely villa in Majorca which is listed on Hol Lettings (although she came to us via HR's German site).

Needless to say -just shown it to OH who's immediately said "She can stay". Well, there's a surprise ...

:roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Correspondence seems to be more formal on the continent. I've got some French guests who stay regularly every couple of months for a weekend in the winter and we are still on 'Madame' terms. But they are from a posh part of Rennes.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

My auntie and uncle lived in the same block of flats in Lausanne for over 50 years and were very friendly with their neighbours who'd also lived there all that time.

Right to the end they called each other Monsieur and Madame, not just in writing, but verbally too.

:?

That's the Swiss for you!
(I still feel really uncomfortable saying "tu" to adults in France, even those I know well)
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Normandy Cow wrote:That's the Swiss for you!
I think it's more a generation thing, my MiL & her next door neighbour always called each other Mrs xxx even though they had lived next door to each other for 20 years.
CSE

Post by CSE »

The first name is Dutch. You reply with the following

Geachte Wieteke......

This is a formal way of addressing a male or female or even a group of persons. There is no plural.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.