Green Pool - AARRGGHH

For anything to do with the garden and pool
enid

Post by enid »

A pool cleaning theard - hurrah :) - always a sure sign that winter's over! We are at 18° today - I usually start swimming at 18° but I chickened out today.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Nightowl,
Just a general question - if a pool LOOKS clean, is it likely to actually BE clean and useable?
Absolutely not. Water treatment is not only done to get rid of algae (which is visible) but many germs and bacteria (which are not visible at all but which can be much more dangerous to human health).
How dangerous or nasty are pool chemicals?
It is not advisable to use a pool when it is being super chlorinated. It’s not dangerous but it can be a bit unpleasant.
Can you tell when a pool is being treated?
If it is being treated with liquids you can’t easily tell. If it’s being treated with tablets you can tell by looking for their presence in the skimmer baskets.

If the pool smells of chlorine it is an indication that there is not enough chlorine in the pool and I would keep out of it; you’re likely to get burning eyes and slimy feeling skin. I know it sounds contrary to reason but it’s a lack of chlorine which gives the “chlorine� effect. It’s the results of a chemical process which I will explain if you really want to know.

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

It’s the results of a chemical process which I will explain if you really want to know.
I do! Not because I have a pool, but because I'm just curious by nature. :)
Brooke
Stu

Post by Stu »

We've had mad Brit kids in our pool yesterday & today. Mad because it's sitting at 16 degrees! No way am I getting in there until it's at LEAST 35 degrees!

It's not green though....
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We've had mad Brit kids in our pool yesterday & today. Mad because it's sitting at 16 degrees!
:shock: Swimming at 16º!......and the 'Mad' family who booked the villa over New Years complained that our pool (heated to 26º) wasn't warm enough for swimming! :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

I think it would be fair to say that most people associate a strong chlorine smell with too much chlorine in the water. It seems logical but it isn’t true, it’s an indication of there being too little chlorine.

When chlorine is added to water hypochlorous acid is formed and this is what kills bacteria, algae and other organic contaminants. The amount of chlorine used in this killing process is called the chlorine demand of the pool. What remains of the chlorine is called the chlorine residual and must be maintained to continue killing the bacteria, algae and other organic contaminants as they find their way into the water.

In addition, pool water contains ammonia which it gets from wind blown fertilisers, urine, body oils and perspiration, etc. Ammonia reacts with chlorine to form chloramine and it is chloramine which causes burning eyes, skin irritation and the chlorine smell. There must be a sufficient chlorine residual to get rid of chloramine and its effects.

If you don’t use enough chlorine in the first place you have no chlorine residual to get rid of chloramine and you finish up with a pool which burns your eyes, irritates your skin and smells.

The moral to the story is – don’t be stingy with your chlorine. It’s not man’s best friend but it is your pool’s. Even a “salt� pool runs on chlorine but the chemical process is carried out within the confines of a separate chamber.

Fluffy
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

The moral to the story is – don’t be stingy with your chlorine
Alan, fascinating explanation - thank you. Obviously more to pool care than throwing in a handful of tablets and hoping for the best.

When we bought our property, the previous owner said that we might receive a unannounced visit from the local health authority to check pool water quality and alarm system. Hasn't happened yet but suppose it could - and maybe it should. Do other pool owners receive such visits and, if so, what are they looking at?

Jim
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks for that Alan. In my first year as a pool owner I under-used the chlorine with the idea of protecting the children. As a result I fought and lost a summer-long battle with algae. Now I know better.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

thanks for your response Alan, at least I know what the risks are if I do decide to jump on in to our communal pool before official opening season (and I think I will probably decide not to do so...)....
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Thanks, Fluffy! :)
Brooke
Marg

Post by Marg »

Reading this topic through everyone seems to have a chlorine pool.
Ours is salt water - I was talking on the phone to my cleaning lady yesterday, we are not on site, and she casually mentioned that the pool had gone green.
We had also had a call during the day from the chap who organised the pool cleaner for us and he was complaining about the difficulty cleaning it with people using suntan lotion (I have a vague recollection of a thread on this topic) and also said it was being used too much!! Our villa takes a maximum of 6 people per week from May to September.
I have an awful feeling he is leading up to quitting which I could well do without at this time in the summer.
Does anyone know anything about salt water pools?
gh

Post by gh »

....he was complaining about the difficulty cleaning it with people using suntan lotion ........
Suntan lotion in my experience, will give a scum mark, not very pleasant but can be dealt with if your pool man knows how, lotion will not make the pool go green.

Could be that there is not enough chlorine, yes chlorine in the pool which can make salt water pools turn green.
This link may help you- http://www.autochlor.com.au/faq.asp#19

Like you we are not on site, and rely on paid help, our pool man keeps our non-salt pool sparkling. Our neighbour has a salt water pool, will ask him [on our next visit] how they manage theirs if you like.

There are others on this forum who have salt pools and may help you before we can.

Good luck, your pool and property is lovely. :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

OUr gardien gets into the pool in his swim shorts, and gives the pool sides a good scrub. I'm sure he deals with the suntan lotion in other ways too, but he looks quite good in the pool with his scrubbing brush,
:lol: :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

I usually have an early morning swim and that's when I clean any tide marks with my amazing gel stuff - but I don't think I make as pretty as picture as your pool man does Helen :cry:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi, I have a salt water pool. Have you got the electrolysis unit turned on for enough hours, you need it for a minimum of 12 hours for this time of year. Is it turned up to about 95% at the mo to tackle the green. Maybe you need more salt? Have you added it this year? You need about 2- 3 grams per litre. We added 125 k ( 5 bags ) when the pool was opened this season, this is for a 85 cubic metres worth of water . Just a few ideas, :lol: