Green Pool - AARRGGHH

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Marg

Post by Marg »

Helen - Our pool man is 60+, not what I envisaged at all!!!!

Fraise - We are not on site and have to leave all the running of the pool to someone else so I have no idea what is put in the pool and when. We pay 80 Euros a month for this service.

Apparently I asked the wrong question - my husband says I never listen to what he says and I got the wrong end of the stick!!
It seems some part has packed up on the pool - 2 months over the guarantee period! - which is why it has gone green.
This has apparently now been rectified but there was no mention of the water turning green, it was my cleaning lady who told us that bit.
What I should have said is:
The man who does the pool is complaining about too many people using the pool and using suntan lotion which makes extra work for him. During the summer he does earn his money, going round every other day I think but we pay the same amount monthly and then during the winter months he doesn't have a lot to do.
Can anyone give me an idea as to what they pay for pool upkeep?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

How often does he visit in the summer Marg? I agree that suntan cream is a pain and scrubbing the side of the pool is not my favourite job. If it is hot, then it probably takes longer as they guests use more lotion. I have a permanent stain around the pool from one family who used some horrible stuff a few years ago. It will not come off, although recent suncream stains do get removed.
If your pool hass gone green under your poolmans care, I'd start looking for someone else. It isn't rocket science looking after a pool, but the chlorine and pH levels need to be checked daily to ensure that there is the right balance of chemicals. Was it your filter pump that packed up?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Marg said
Can anyone give me an idea as to what they pay for pool upkeep?
I pay the pool company that looks after our pool 90 euros a month including chemicals. The pool man maintains the pool twice a week throughout the year.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I seem to pay more than that and I provide all the chemicals, equipment etc. It is hard to tell though cos he does the garden on the same visit. Think it's 375 euros a month but only May- October, vastly reduced in winter, the pool is closed in the winter but we either pay someone to close /open it or do it ourselves depending on commitments.
Marg, we aren't on site either but when the pool company looked after the salt water pool ( they charged megaeuros, 100's a month,can't remember how much but loads) they sent a bill and on the bill was the amount of salt etc used , as we had to pay for it ! It is the chlorine pool that the other lovely guy looks after. If your chap goes every other day for that money you are doing well ! Our guy goes twice a week and records EVERYTHING ! We have a chart of all the levels and he fills it in, there are about 15 items to check and tick, or readings to take.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

That's about the same for us (inc chemicals and also general maintenance like tile grouting etc when needed). Our pool guy visits weekly in the summer and twice a month in winter.

He always runs the pool pump for much longer in summer (2 lots of 3+ hours) to combat cloudyness, which for us tends to happen when the water temp increases.

A good tip for sun lotion greasyness in the water...put a tiny drop of fairy liquid in the pool whilst the pump is on. Works every time!

edited: same price as BP's

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Marg

Post by Marg »

"A good tip for sun lotion greasyness in the water...put a tiny drop of fairy liquid in the pool whilst the pump is on. Works every time!"

Mouse, Funnily enough whilst trawling through all the various old posts I found that tip of yours from before.

My husband will be ringing the pool man later so he is going to pass on the tip!

We had a lot of problems with our previous gardener who was not a gardner but just cut the grass. In the end we had to have it completely re done and we now pay the new chap 200 Euros a month which we think is a bit excessive but they always mention all the chemicals needed etc. sowhat else can you do!

I think 80 Euros a month for the pool isn't too bad really - as I said previously he does come often during the summer months but during the winter the pool is "put to bed" and not used from about Nov thru to April so he just pops round to keep an eye on it and I think also keeps an eye on the property.