UK cleaning habits

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Margaret

UK cleaning habits

Post by Margaret »

We have a large town house in the UK which we have recently started letting out, having done some holiday letting in 2005/6.

In Germany, it is always assumed that an apartment will be cleaned at the end of a let. The cost is either included or charged extra - we include it. We ask people to leave the kitchen with work surfaces cleaned down and washing up done or in the dishwasher with it switched on. Some people do vacuum (there is always one available) but there is no tradition here of leaving a place clean and tidy when you leave. Mostly we are lucky but if not we just get on with it - we never charge extra for a dirty apartment.

In the UK, I thought the usual practice (when I have rented in the past, anyway), was to leave the place as clean and tidy as you found it. This is what we ask guests to do. We have the place cleaned between lets but the guests don't know that. So far, the house has need a total clean between each let - not usually left in a mess but simply not clean enough for new guests. It takes several hours and costs (including laundry) £50 a time.

I'd just like to know what is usual now in the UK. I was hoping that the house would not need a massive clean between lets but so far this has NEVER been the case (12 lettings so far).
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

to leave the place as clean and tidy as you found it.
I wish! Never had anyone leave dirty dishes (yet) but we always need to clean - only twice in 4 years can I remember not having to (and one was German) - as soon as you open the front door you know what to expect. However everyone, bar 2, have stripped the beds as 'greatly appreciated'.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hahaha. I don't know the norm IN the UK...but most of my US visitors are from the UK...and they have BARLEY left it even remotely tidy...let alone what I would consider clean.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We ask folk to leave it in a clean and tidy condition, although thoroughly cleaned between lets. Trouble is people's interpretation of 'clean and tidy' varies enormously! We have had a few times when the property was left spotless - once we even doubted that they had been there, even though we met them when they arrived! But other changeovers have been from not too bad to downright disgusting and there have been occasions when we kept monies from the security deposit to pay for extra cleaning required.
Windy

Post by Windy »

We charge extra for the clean and laundry so I don't expect my guests to end their holiday wearing rubber gloves and a Hilda Ogden turban.

Generally over the last 2 years they leave it as you'd expect - tidy with the washing up done but needing a hoover and a wipe, but that's what I pay my cleaner to do so we are all happy.

Only had one real mess an Italian family but maybe the nationality is not really significant?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We try, but our (Swiss) manager still says that Mrs G and myself are the second worst guests who stay and leave the place like a bombsite. We're both Brits.

MG
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

:D I'd probably be in that category too as I hate the end of the holiday being spoiled by having to clean. I don't mind organising the cleaning for the UK house - I just wanted to get an idea of what happens usually.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

On my last visit to our apartment, I left the place like a bomb site,as we had to leave in such a hurry. :oops:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'd probably be in that category too as I hate the end of the holiday being spoiled by having to clean.

Margaret, I'm shocked! You too, Helen. Really.

MG
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Ah, I think Helen has more than an adequate medical emergency excuse?!! :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sue, on this occasion I certainly did. I don't make a habit of it. Fortunately my wonderful apartment manager didn't mind in the least. We're off out there next week, and will definitely leave it cleaner this time.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

After 10 years of letting cottages in the UK, we've seen it all.

* 10.00 am check out .... nothing happening. twiddle thumbs for a little while .... no activity. knock on door at 11.15 and ask (politely) if I can start making the beds ... son is still in the shower. start to make the beds. mum makes herself a cup of tea and sits on settee in hall. husband has managed to take one carrier bag out to the car. 11.40 ish john arrives to help me (and I'm going to need it). mum asks if we're busy and if she's in the way. john and i can't help it and say in unison with full orchestra in the background .... YES YOU ARE!!!! 11.46 family have left. haven't said "goodbye" and haven't done ANYTHING in the cottage.

* 10.00 am check out. Family have left by 9.15 am. I go in at 10.00 ish. One lot of bed linen washed and hung out on the line; second lot in the washing machine. Bins are emptied; fire laid; kitchen clean and tidy; bath has been cleaned; everywhere hoovered; they left a lovely comment in the visitor book. Perfect.

I'd consider "normal" to be something between the two. And I'm happy (it doesn't take much :lol: ) if the beds are stripped and the bins have been emptied. Would never expect to not have to clean.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

My better half unfortunately turns into Basil Fawlty if guests turn up early or leave late :roll:
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Last winter, we arrived at lunchtime just after some French guests had left. Beds stripped, all dirty linen folded on the bed. Mirrors and windows polished, bathroom gleaming, and the towels were already washed and hung up to dry. Fridge clean, although they had left us unopened cartons of juice and milk. Fab comment in the guest book, and they came back this year too.
I didn't need to do a thing, and I knew it hadn't been M my apartment manager, cos she was taking a friend to the airport.
I'm arriving there Thurs after some Uk guests have departed that morning, so we'll see how it compares.
goosie

Post by goosie »

Margaret, I'm afraid the practice is most definitely clean even with the `leave the house in a clean and tidy state` and `anything over and above the usual clean will be charged`. The norm, as far as my cleaner tells me, is for surfaces to be wiped, bins are emptied etc. but not much more, and to be honest, I wouldn't expect it. When we stayed away before we became owners, that is about all we did, with a light hoover, but I certainly wasn't on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor or cleaning the bath :oops: