Building your own website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've never done a web site myself - is there a fools guide to doing it somewhere, because rather than pay someone a lot of money to build us one and keep paying to update it, I think I ought to spend the forthcoming dark winter days building a site myself.

I'm on a mac cube - so has anyone any suggestions where to start please? I'm OK on Quark Express, word 2000 & photoshop.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Finding myself in your position a couple of years ago this is what I did.

I got hold of a copy of Dreamweaver (can't say how), which is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) html editor. Html is the code behind a website. At first it just looks like a jumbled mess. If you use something like Dreamweaver you can open a web page and have half the screen showing the web page and half the screen showing the html. If you make a change to the web page, which you can do more or less like you would in a Word document, you can see the resulting changes to the html. In this way you will get a good grasp of how html works. It is pretty simple, and always entirely logical.

To see the html of any page in Internet Explorer, open the page, click on View at the top of your browser, then Source. If you particularly like the way a page is done, you can 'emulate' it in this way. Take the source html and adapt it.

Of course you don't need to know anything about html at all if you use Dreamweaver, you just arrange your pictures and text as you like and it does the rest. But I found it very satisfying to know what is going on behind the scenes, and a basic knowledge of html means you can make fine-tuning changes easily and quickly.

There are other html editors but I haven't used them.

I would get a book on the subject of building your first website, like a "For Dummies..." guide or similar. Or you can get all the instruction you need on the web, by typing something like 'Website tutorial' into Google and sifting through the results for sites that are not trying to sell you something.

You know Photoshop so you can size up all your pictures. You should save pics as jpegs (logos and buttons as gifs) and I always use the 'Save for web' function under the File menu. This lets you reduce the memory size of an image and see how it degrades in quality as you do it. You can then find the right balance between size (and therefore download speed) and quality.

The good thing about building your own website is that it is all fairly straightforward. The down side is that it is time-consuming. But it is fun and worth it when you gaze upon what you have created.

I'm sure other people will come up with better suggestions for how to got about it, this was just my accidental approach.

Any difficulties you encounter - give us a shout here! :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

thank you...I'm going for it !

I do wish laymyhat.com the very best as I do feel it is something that is needed.....I certainly feel the need for communication as I'm sure you've all worked out by the number of posts!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I used FrontPage to do my website. I think it comes as part of one of the premium MS office packages. Again, like Dreamweaver you don't have to know html - I'd say if you can use Word then you can almost use Pagemaker. It does have odd quirks, I find publishing straight from FT difficult and your ISP has to accept FrontPage "extensions" - file to let functions of your FP site run, most of them do these days.

FP also comes with "themes" which are templates if you're not sure on designs. This gives you integrated designs for banners, buttons and navigation. I can usually tell if someone has a FrontPage site using the stock templates but as long as the site does the job that's no problem. The themes are easily customised (my Bob Collum site below, I created my own "theme"

I use www.freeola.com to host the site. I paid for my domain name - I think it was something like £15 for 2 years. Once you register you can upload files within about 15 minutes.. really easy system of FTP - you just open the webfiles in your browser with explorer and drop them into a folder on Freeola's server. Even if you don't want to register a domain name you can apply for a free email with freeola (you never have to use the email if you don't want) That entitles you to unlimited free webspace with no advertisments.... no catch. I don't know how they do it!! I'd advise everyone to check out freeola.. you can transfer your domain easily.

Here's the sites I've created in FP and host on freeola.
www.lilycottagebelford.co.uk
www.bobcollumonline.com
www.lyra-celtica.co.uk (early days with this one, needs a different font)
and http://www.daveisnearly50.veryold.net/
This last address is one of the free addresses I didn't pay and register a domain for it. They might not win any web awards but especially the cottage one, they generally do the business!

I'd be happy to help try to advise anyone who is using FP and has any problems, I've used it for about 10 years and know some of it's little ecentricities!

Go for it - good luck!
Chris Radford

easy websites

Post by Chris Radford »

I started with www.1and1.co.uk They have a product called instant websites for £2 a month you can set an 8 page website using their online website creator. For an extra £2 a year you have your own domain name and the price incloudes 50 email addresses and mailboxes

You can see the result at www.baillehillhouse.co.uk
www.purbeckholidays.co.uk

there are limitations but it does the basics

I am starting to experiment with netbjects fusion since they sent me a free copy of the software. I think it is similar to Dreamweaver. But like Paolo says, it is proving timeconsuming Instant website is very quick and easy

I find the email redirecting service is also usefukl for tracking what works. i can create different email addresses for different advertising and see where the email comes from.

Good luck :lol:
Aiming for 90% occupancy
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

We're fortunate in that our local school ran a "websites for beginners" course. It was run by an IT enthusiast who provided good anecdotal info as well as the course itself. Four of us then persuaded him to carry on for another 6 weeks until we were at the stage where we could upload and update sites. This was all based on dreamweaver - confusing at first, but then extremely simple.

We've created three websites ourselves:

www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
www.troutbeckcottage.co.uk
www.patterdalevillagestore.co.uk

None are "ultra professional" but we can update them easily. And we have ideas on how to improve them during the long winter months. Any feedback very welcome.

Cheers

Christine (a total non-techie)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Excellent work, Christine! Very simple, elegant, and friendly, well written copy - you were well taught, and that's another way to get into building your own site - take a course.

By the way, on your Troutbeck site, the pic on the homepage covers the text. That may be because I am using a Mac at the moment.

If you want feedbcak on improvements - I would say more photos of the property itself would give a fuller picture. Get that roaring fireplace in there!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Christine Kenyon

Thanks for the feedback, Paolo. Much appreciated. Home page for Troutbeck Cottage about to be improved. This was a useful comment as I have checked the layout on computers other than my own to make sure this sort of layout problem doesn't happen, but I haven't tested it with a Mac PC.

I agree with your comment about more internal pics. It would probably have to be from different angles. Why? you probably ask. Well, Troutbeck Cottage has four rooms and there are pictures of three of them - we've found it impossible to get a decent picture of the small bedroom with bunkbeds without making it look even smaller than it!!

Thanks for an excellent forum. I'm learning all the time.

Christine
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Hi Christine

I'm actually just down the road from you in Kendal. I recognise your name so maybe you advertise on one of our sites...?

Anyway, I was looking at your sites. The sites themselves look fine but don't you feel that Easyspace/Easynic banner is rather intrusive? It covers up text and makes your page difficult to read. Easyspace (recently bought out by Iomart, I believe) are cheap, but is this a wise cost-cutting measure? I'm not so sure.

Aaron
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

On the general subject of personal websites, members could take a look at the following:-

http://www.selfpromotion.com/

Lots of useful information and advice.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

I used this site a few years ago when I first made a website for my copywriting business, and I found this guy very useful and with the right attitude. Trustworthy too. There is so much good information for the beginner on his site that I wanted to mention it in this forum as a recommendation for others.

Unfortunately, I couldn't remember his name or the name of his site. But now here he is again. So thanks for reminding me, and he gets my endorsement too.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

I see this site mentioned quite often so it must have a good link popularity. I wonder why it is, then, that he only has a PR0...?

Aaron
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Aaron,

I don't know anything about that. What I think I know is a good and useful website when I find one.

Alan
Christine Kenyon

Hello. This is a reply to Aaron from Aardvarkland who hangs out in Kendal (is Aardvarkland the Norse name for Kendal, I wonder?? :roll: )

Anyway, thank you for your comments about the Easyspace banner. It's easy to become too familiar with your own site and I appreciate your comments. No more banner waving could be the order of the day!!

I also note from another posting that you've done the Great North Run. We organise two lovely fell races from Patterdale - the last Sunday in June and August bank holiday Saturday. Hope to see you there!! (Now there's a challenge.)

Cheers

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk (still with banners at the mo!)
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Hi Christine

I'm glad to see you are so well informed about Kendal's surprisingly unknown Nordic past. ;)

As for the run, I'm game. Is there a web address with details? I am no great runner (especially when it comes to the fells) but I have a few marathons under my belt and am planning to do the Dentdale in the Spring... :)

Aaron (your local hosting provider ;))