Building your own website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

One possible use is when someone says "please look at my site". Logging in and looking at it on screen is one thing but being able to download it and examine the underlying coding is another. Armed with the relevant username and password the "developer" could then upload to the host site the code for the agreed changes.

Another use is simply to find out how other people achieve results - a learning process.

Another would be pure plagiarism.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

I am still not getting it. Does this do anything different to what you can do by pasting a page's source code into Dreamweaver for instance?

I can't find instructions and the files I have downloaded just seem to be all the files from my site. So I can click on one of the pics in isolation for instance. Does it do anything interesting?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

I am not up-to-speed with it either but I think one big difference is that with Dreamweaver you copy and paste one page at a time and perhaps you have to find, copy and paste any pictures you want, separately. With web downloading software products you can go as deeply as you wish into the target website and you get the whole structure and layout of the site itself.

With one it is a purely manual task, with the other it is automated and while it is working you can get on with something else. What is interesting for one person can be totally boring for another.

The help files are accessable in two ways. Firstly, on the first screen Help:Contents on the top menu bar takes you through a step-by-step demonstration. Secondly, the Help button lower down on the first screen takes you into the documentation itself.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

Chachiluz's post on using Publisher has been moved to the Website reviews section.
Paolo
Lay My Hat