Teenage guests part 2

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

I don't think I'd rent to a group of all-male teenagers. All-female possibly,
Brooke, my neighbours told me that the group before them, who were 4 middle aged women, were even worse...... :shock:
tansy

Post by tansy »

Oh dear Linda....my mother in law used to live in Calahonda....the disco across the road in the summer months was unbearable...went on, thump thump thump until 8 a.m....it is so difficult in your part of the world...they come for party time...at least here we only get carried away once in the blue moon...not every week (couldn't keep it up even at 25!!)

It is a hard one - I think maybe you need to say at time of booking it is an apartment block where folk live and work so the noise pollution aspect does need to be considered....you probably do that already?
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

apartment block where folk live and work so the noise pollution aspect does need to be considered....you probably do that already?
Hi Tansy

No I don´t put it in the advert as it might seriously affect my bookings...it is a holiday resort after all. I have decided however to mention it to all new arrivals. I must say I did feel a bit silly saying it to my guests that arrived yesterday as they seemed like 2 very respectable couples with a 17 year old daugter in tow :oops: ....still you never know...better to be safe than sorry - it´s always the quiet ones...! :wink:

Linda
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have already warned my own children that they are not allowed to take friends to our apartment. I am also adding a clause to the terms and conditions, and will ask for ages on the booking form. A friend of mine had her apartment trashed by a couple of doctors.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Linda. Glad to hear that your teenage rental turned out OK.

We've just bought a new property with about six weeks of forward bookings. Seemed OK on the face of it. We officially bought the property yesterday (Friday), but due to some too-ing and fro-ing with the current owner didn't get all the details of the forward bookings until Thursday. And guess what, there is a group of teenagers booked in for a 4 night stay. Our only saving grace is that there is a letter from the mother of one of them saying "thank you for taking the booking; they will behave" (or words to that effect). Just hope that it matches your experience :shock: .
Jayjan

Post by Jayjan »

Hi Christine we had a booking this May just gone for 6 persons we knew they were in early 20's but when our rep LEE met them for the keys he emailed us saying 13 turned up 6 adults 7 children. (They even brought blow up beds for the kids) OMG was the word i said . They left the house in a bit of a mess really, had to pay cleaner double to remove the grime. We hold a security deposit of £200 and when we hadnt returned it to the person who rented the villa she was on the phone asking why. We just told her you booked for 6 persons & 13 stayed, think you owe us some money,( and she openly admitted it about the extra persons) we are with-holding it for extra expenses no refund I'm afraid, she put the phone down with last words spoken were "oh well ok". Now we have a booking form which has to be completed with all names of party and ages of children & hope this alleviates the problem, but suppose there is always a way around it if folks want to be dishonest. Regards Jayjan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Our neighbour once rented to people whose 6 friends were staying at the local camping site: said friends used the house & pool all day, every day.
Neighbour now has a clause which forbids entry onto the premises of anyone not on the booking form.
For this to be more effective I think it would be better to state that a specified sum (e.g. £200 per person - or more, or less) is to be deduced from the security deposit if this clause is not respected. This does require a sufficiently hefty security deposit, though.
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

My immediate neighbours have a complex of 4 rental properties and 2 swimming pools. They live on-site so have no problems controlling who is actually staying.

They have a simple policy towards extra people using their pools. The answer is "Yes, your friends can use our pools at £250 per person per week". They don't want extra people and that keep them away.

Alan
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Well, our group of teenagers have been and gone. And they were lovely house guests. A bit of food left in the fridge, but nothing to complain about. And they enjoyed themselves which is good news. Hopefully they will be back!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I'm really pleased you were able to give them a good press!!Makes a lovely change :lol:
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Here is the composition of a group wanting to book our 3 properties together next year:
"our own family of 4 (mom,dad, son 20 yo, daughter 19 yo) and 2 young adult friends of the family (20 and 19 yo) for a total of 6 and then our friends with their own family of 4 (mom, dad, college grad son 24, son 16 yo) friend for 16 yo and brother of mom (older adult man). Thus our group would be 12"
Help! Alarm bells are ringing - am I over-reacting? What would you all do?
Pause........... I've just re-read it: it's my idea of hell. Am I alone in thinking this?
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Maybe a tad overreaction :wink: They have got 2 lots of parents with them :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Yes Fraise, but one thing I have learned is that when there are 2 sets of parents they form their own little group and forget about the children - even when the children are as young as 7 or 8. We have 3 separate properties & the youngsters take over one, out of sight of the adults. I wrote back to say that I couldn't accept this booking.
Best,
Alexia.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Alexia,
I wrote a long post about the pros and cons, but I now see you have already decided, so the reason for posting it has evaporated. I'll delete it and just say this ... I only know about your beautiful 3 bed Olive Mill, so not sure how close the other 2 properties are located, or size, but the problem I foresee is that the two families will want to eat together in whichever property seats all 12. If you do not provide sufficient kitchenware for 12 in each of your 3 properties, then you can be sure they will move things around between the houses.

Also, I completely agree also that they are thinking of putting the children all together by themselves in one of the properties, and I would definitely have a problem with that part.

On balance, I think you made the right decision.
Waves from America
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Joanna,
Please don't delete it - post it for everyone to read - I know it will be invaluable.
Thank you,
Best,
Alexia.