Is there anything good here ?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
e-richard

Is there anything good here ?

Post by e-richard »

As discussed elsewhere, I've been lurking and reading and absorbing so much useful info. But haven't posted as I've been so ashamed of my website - relative to the constructive feedback I've read here.

So, having taken the plunge, I've also decided to completely revamp and rewrite the entire site, and what I'm asking, is:

Is there anything at all that is good (and worth keeping) about this site ?

www.ourcarvoeiro.com

To start with, without IE, you won't even be able to see the design :cry: . I've also started compiling a very long list of criticisms I've read of other sites that apply to this one and they are all very easy to fix - THANKS !

Some small background (yes, the site is so clumsy, this may not be apparent :oops: )

We have two properties, both in the Algarve. The Villa is our home away from home that we use personally a lot, but rent out during the hot and crowded summer months through an agancy. We do not take direct bookings to compete with them but we do have friends and family staying in the out of season dates, so have published bits of info to help them.

The Apartment is relatively new, and we actively rent that ourselves throughout the year. We advertise on only two (paid for) listing sites, but have made no attempt to be found by search engines (its an incredibly competitive location), yet we filled 33 weeks this year. Thats an extremely high number for a seaside resort accomodation so we must be doing something right.
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Hi Richard,

I think there's lots good about your site. The layout is clean, the pages on the villa and apartment are informative with good pictures and the pages on bars and restaurants give some local colour.

I'm lucky enough to have a large monitor with 1268 x 1084 resolution, and on that your site has rather a lot of white space. Even on 1084 x 768, which I believe is the most common resolution these days, there is rather a lot of white, so you might want to try to find a way of reducing that. Also it would be easier to read the text if you had margins in your boxes, rather than the text running right up to the vertical lines.

Finally, perhaps you could make it a little clearer on the home page that you have holiday properties to rent. With so many people setting up web pages for their own satisfaction - without anything to 'sell' - there's a risk that visitors to your site will think that you are just doing a promo for the town.

I hope this is helpful,

Please review my web site!

Chalky
Chalky

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Richard,

You did ask. If you do nothing else, please get rid of all the borders. For me, they look like graph paper, they ruin the whole site and most of them are pointless.

Regards

Alan
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Chalky and Alan,

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Alan, I do agree with you about the lines. But only in retrospect. I thought at the time (4 years ago) that I was being clever with a "design" that was not a background or images, but after a while I now find them overpowering - and anyway they don't work in Netscape :oops:

Which brings me on to my comments for Chalky. I freely admit that its a very personal choice, but I really don't like textured backgrounds or pictures. IMHO, your text and choice of font are just right, but lose some of their simplicity and clarity by having the background - most notable in your guest comments page. My only other thought about your site is the length of the first page. It does need a lot of scrolling to read all the information, yet you have a very nice and obvious navigation bar at the top which caught my eye first and caused me to browse the site before reading all of the front page. You do have a lot of helpful information, which I enjoyed reading, but I just don't know what the best way to navigate it all is.

Finally, for me the jury is still out on designing for 1024 X 768. While its fair that practically all new computers in the past few years will accomodate this resolution, there are still many that won't. In balance, I think in any redesign, I'll try to keep all images within the 800 pixel width, but by centralising the design on a variable width page, I'd hope to accomodate both wide and narrow screens without the acres of white space on the right that Chalky mentions.
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Richard,

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the home page is long, but I don't mind too much if people don't get to the bottom, the information there is not essential and there are links to the rates and availability from the buttons at the top.

I take your point about the background. It is a personal thing, but I might try making it a bit paler. The testimonials page is particularly awkward as I wanted the different text colours to indicate different guests.

Chalky
Chalky

enid

Post by enid »

poor old girl here finds small text difficult and when it's in blue as well it's a no go area for me - sorry that' a minus and you asked for the things I liked. I liked having pages with your favourite things on them.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Richard,

I like the tone of voice. What it says to me is: the owners are nice, trustworthy people who are not trying to oversell anything. But you could still say in the first paragraph what the site is about and what properties you have. Otherwise it could be mistaken for a tribute site to the area.

- I find the layout cramped, and not helped by the blue lines. The text needs a margin between it and the line or photo. This would make it easier and more inviting to read. The photos on the ‘My villa’ page make the place seem cramped because there is no breathing space between them. They also need a border in between.

- The pictures are good but I suspect they are too big in memory, because they are a little slow to download on broadband.

- You link to a site on the area from the homepage – that site has 186 competing vacation rentals prominently linked to from its homepage. Don’t do it! Put together your own page of regional highlights. Keep the visitors on your site, and boost your search engine rankings too.

- Your ‘Favourite Bars and Restaurants’ pages are excellent. They keep you reading because they are written personably, by someone who really knows. Now do the same for tourist attractions, villages, beaches, etc.

So to answer your question, is there anything good: yes, I think the tone of voice, content, and photo quality are all good. The design is in need of an overhaul though.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

After a long pause, I finally accepted (most of) the advice above, and have updated the site.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

Richard
debk

Post by debk »

Richard -

I like your site! Well done.

One comment: even though I am familiar with the Algarve, I couldn't quite place Praia do Carvoeiro right off. A simple graphic showing approximate location would be very helpful.

I did eventually find the link where I could download driving directions but I am always leary of downloads... and I really just wanted to get a general idea of location before pursuing further.

Again, congratulations on a very pleasing site and lovely properties.

Um abraço,
debk
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Debk,

Excellent point - thanks.
I've perused so many other sites from other members here and felt exactly the same myself. Those that do have a small map no matter how symbolic are much friendlier.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, and may you have a fully booked 2006.

PRÓSPERO ANO NOVO

Richard
debk

Post by debk »

e-richard wrote:... may you have a fully booked 2006.

PRÓSPERO ANO NOVO
Igualmente!
debk