Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Places of Interest page

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livinginitaly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Places of Interest page Reply with quote

I liked what Vrooje had done so much ...... I copied the idea!

Well they say that 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' Smile

I know using 'layers' is certainly nothing new, though i honestly don't think we've used them on any sites for a long, long time and too be honest, i'd forgotten how useful they are.

Anyway ....... the page is still very, very short on text ...... but the 'principle' is still there.

http://www.normandybeachrental.com/places_of_interest.php

I think i've included all the browser 'hacks' but if anyone spots anything 'untoward' .... please let me know Smile
tansy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony

Would it be possible when you click onto the place and it comes up e.g. Chateau Balleroy, you then can click onto the relevant website....or is that too complicated to get back to the normandybeachrental site?

But looks good - only concern is when I really get going on places of interest the map is just going to be a mass of spots

Confused
vrooje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh -- I love this application!

I didn't have any browser issues, but then, I'm using Windows right now -- I'll let you know if it's any different in Linux.

Would it be possible to have a clickable link in each detail pane to get back to the legend?

Fabulous! I might steal this idea back and use it on my own site. Smile
livinginitaly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tansy ....... yes, no problem with putting the 'links' in the text area (as now shown). Also, I thought about just using this section for actual 'locations', the section beneath could be used for more general 'ww2 tours' etc

Vrooje ...... good idea about having a way of getting back to the legend, i've added this onto the map. I thought of putting either 'text' or a 'button' into the layer, but depending on the amount of text it could get a little 'messy'. One thing I have noticed, is that i've not put an 'align layers on resize' command in, so the layers don't move if the page is resized .... i'll get back to that one Smile
ccazes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a local info page with links to the places of interest within reasonable distance and have been pleasantly surprised to have my website visited by people who googled the place of interest in question.
I was also told that search engines like to find links in a website be it internal links or links to outside domains. As far as optimising my website it was something easy to do and I understood what to do unlike a lot of other "optimisation" tricks that are over my head.
NewquayGetAway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccazes wrote:
I have a local info page with links to the places of interest within reasonable distance and have been pleasantly surprised to have my website visited by people who googled the place of interest in question.
I was also told that search engines like to find links in a website be it internal links or links to outside domains. As far as optimising my website it was something easy to do and I understood what to do unlike a lot of other "optimisation" tricks that are over my head.

Yes google does link internal links, however, don't have to many external links - the aim is to get external sites to link to your site Smile
How to build your own personal website from scratch