Is this new to you or am I new to this?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Tizfata

Is this new to you or am I new to this?

Post by Tizfata »

Yesterday morning I receive an enquiry from Switzerland for a 2 bedroom apartment for a long weekend in May. It is a "couple without kids" (such a sad definition!). So I write they can also have a 1bedroom apartment if they like. Chitchatchitchat... I come back from the swimming lesson and I find the following:
bonsoir,
merci pour votre message je vous confirme ma réservation avec plaisir, pour les paiements je vous payerai dès notre arrivée.
bonne soirée
WHAT??? You confirm your reservation :shock: but you will pay once you are here??? :evil:
Thank you but no way, Sir. That weekend I have friends staying over and in town there will be a parade on Sunday morning with horse race in the afternoon, so I don't think so!
But you can write me the day before your arrival to check if I still have availability...
Has this (or something similar) ever happened to you?
Rocket Rab

Re: Is this new to you or am I new to this?

Post by Rocket Rab »

If you haven't already, I would just explain - or repeat - your booking procedure again. However surprising it may seem to you, some people are worried about making payment in advance: you need to gain their trust. If they are still unwilling to accept your terms, then refuse the booking.

Btw: I would never make any personal comment on that fact that a couple has children, or not. It's none of your business.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Hi RR!
I asked him for the total amount of the enquiry as the booking he wanted to make is in less than 4 weeks time.
I am familiar with the thought not to send the money in advance and sometime I would compromise to a deposit. But I would find very difficult to prepare an apartment having nothing to protect me from the fact that they might change their mind and go somewhere else.
He also did not mention the payment on arrival this right after I wrote it, he waited for his confirmation email...
Maybe I still had water between my ears and I reacted too strongly... I don't want to end up with an empty apartment on a very busy weekend!
About the "no kids": it is obviously not my business.
I am old enough to be a young grandma, but I don't have kids. So I would simply go with "we are a couple".
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I asked him for the total amount of the enquiry as the booking he wanted to make is in less than 4 weeks time.

You did absolutely the right thing: tell him this again and if he doesn't like it don't take the booking - I wouldn't.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

You did the right thing :-)

I don't think it's too odd though - I have had both French and Spanish guests ask to pay on arrival...and I said no...and they paid in advance.

The Spanish one then told me he would be in NY on business and wanted to come pay me in person (his stay is about two months from now)...and I thought that was REALLY weird...but...he showed and we met him (made my husband come with me for this one! I was a bit nervous.) and chatted and he paid us and all is well - I think he just wanted to make sure the house looked in person like it does in the photos.

The French paid in advance too...and were lovely and had a great stay and booked my Italy house now as well...and paid in advance :-)
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Incredibly the guy just paid the full amount! :D :D :D
I nearly forgot about him, I thought I had blew it off with my firm NO, then he paid :P not 25%, not 50%, but the full amount!
Another reason to stick to the golden rule: If a punter wants to book, he will pay :wink:
PS: "punter" is a noun whose meaning I learned here, on LMT!!!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Tiziana wrote:PS: "punter" is a noun whose meaning I learned here, on LMT!!!
Good on you Tiziana! Like you I have learnt 'new' words and expressions on LMY (my brother says I speak 'old fashioned' English :) )

But I would like clarification of some of the acronyms I see around; I know BTW and OMG but many of the others defy me still :oops:

Sorry for the thread creep - maybe this should take a coffee in the cafè :lol:
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Well, during this week I learned on LMH:
IANAL (I am not a laywer)
OTOH (on the other hand)
much better than going to lessons!
I wonder what your brother would say about "my" English!
Yours maybe is "frozen" back to the days when you left home (this cuold be the reason while he thinks your English id out of fashion). Mine is the result of years spent wondering about the meanings of songs, watching movies in original language with subtitles, out of this world conversations with a Yorkshire guy living in Pontedera (home of Vespas), gossip magazines and not much more...Now with SkyTV and internet it is so much easier!
Yes, this has definitely became a Cafè thread!
Have a wonderful weekend, Pam!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Tizzie

This made me smile, especially as you were on about Initials and how confusing they can be.......
I learned here, on LMT!!!
Lay My Table possibly or Let Me Talk
[I know :oops: apt for me :D ]
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I just wanted to add a little extra thread creep - my 5 year old has learnt a lot of her English by listening to Enid Blyton audio books, so she sounds like something out of the 1950s - golly, how scrumptious!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

oh bless her!

That's very quaint. (Another EB expression)
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

"punter" is a noun whose meaning I learned here, on LMT!!!
LMT? Lay My Trilby? Lay My Titfer? Guest if they book, punter if they don't.

Jim
olive

Post by olive »

Tiziana,
"punter" is shabby. Even a smiley would be better.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Post removed as not relevant due to time lapse! (I should have read BS's post before I made mine, but it came after.....)
Last edited by greenbarn on Wed May 19, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Im sure Tizzies not in a Tizz about this,
[especially as her comments [and mine] were posted a year ago]
so not 'new' to any of us as it 'appens :)