Is this new to you or am I new to this?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

wallypott wrote:I just wanted to add a little extra thread creep - my 5 year old has learnt a lot of her English by listening to Enid Blyton audio books, so she sounds like something out of the 1950s - golly, how scrumptious!
...and my 12 year old has learnt a lot of her English recently by watching Hannah Monrtana and other US sitcoms, so she now refers to "her closet" and when people push in to the queue in front of her she exclaims that they "cut the line", etc etc

I think I prefer the "scrumptious"...!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

"punter" is shabby.
It’s odd how we all respond differently to words. To me, ‘punter’ is tied up with ‘taking a punt’ on a horse or a greyhound, which is what my uncles and cousins invariably did at the end of the working week, usually prior to ‘getting a skinfull’ at the local pub. Nothing remotely shabby about this – these were big-hearted jack-the-lads who worked hard at dirty and dangerous jobs, cared for their families and sought a bit of innocent fun at the weekend.

So punter (when applied to enquirers) denotes somebody who’s not really serious about booking. It’s not a pejorative term, just a mental note to myself not to waste too much time with them. Sometimes punters are a nuisance, sometimes they’re good fun and we have a laugh together before we go our separate ways. But we both know that it's a game which is why I don't believe that punters would be offended by the word punter.

Jim
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

I simply refer to them as guests to all and sundry, unless they've been really, really annoying, and I'm having a whinge to OH in the privacy of the boudoir and then probably not for public consumption!
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I do think "punters" in this context is derogatory. It's the sort of term "professional" ladies might use to describe their clients, or scam-artists their victims (like "marks" or "johns").

I agree with Jimbo, as someone who attends race-meetings regularly (and even wins sometimes), in that context punter has a much jollier and nicer meaning - but I think the word has split into two quite different nuances, and I refrain from using it, even in general conversation, about our guests.

That's what they always are - our guests - and if you start categorising them in a dismissive manner, then pretty soon you'll start treating them that way too.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

That's what they always are - our guests - and if you start categorising them in a dismissive manner, then pretty soon you'll start treating them that way too.

I've been a freelance with a business all my adult life, so the importance of good clients is imprinted deep in my bone marrow. As is the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm not dismissive of any enquirer but I'm always going to put more effort into those whom my judgement tells me are genuine. Which is why we respond individually to each enquiry.

Jim

PS: Could this be the puntergate scandal?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Just to be clear, Jimbo, my comment about treating guests was a generic observation, and wasn't intended to refer specifically to you or anyone else - I'm sure we're always very professional on this site.

Mols
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I would have thought cutting the line might raise a few eyebrows used in public....

I never realised it had been researched - good ol' Wikipedia.

MG
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Leads me on a serious TC to how such expressions don't always translate word for word.

UK English (when driving) 'he cut me up'
Italian (when driving) 'he cut my road'

UK English : 'A leopard can't change its spots'
Italian: 'A man who is born round, won't die square'

UK English : Have no fear
Italian : Put the wolf in your mouth

DC
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

English: Speak of the devil . . .

French: Quand on parle du loup, il sort de son trou.

M
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Moliere wrote:... my comment about treating guests was a generic observation, and wasn't intended to refer specifically to you or anyone else ...
Mols, which is why I responded to your interesting comment generically in my turn by not identifying you as the author of the quote.

Jim
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thanks Jim, we all worry sometimes that something we've written can be misinterpreted, especially without the nuance of the spoken word.

Mols
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

You two are such 'Gents'....... nice to see :D
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

You can tell that two people that use the words 'generically' and nuance' in their exchanges are not exactly going to go at each other 'A-Two style'.

Altogether a more sophisticated exchange by Mols and Jim...

DC
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Don Ciccio wrote:Altogether a more sophisticated exchange by Mols and Jim...DC
"Mols et Jim" - is that Truffaut's new film?

Moliere 8)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Don Ciccio wrote:You can tell that two people that use the words 'generically' and nuance' in their exchanges are not exactly going to go at each other 'A-Two style'.
I wish it was true. Unfortunately, I've been known to let slip the dogs of war and have a go 'A-two style' (at A-two, as it happens) and been reprimanded. Using words with more than two syllables is no guarantee of civilised behaviour.

Jim