Too much winter rain

For anything to do with the garden and pool
pambon

Too much winter rain

Post by pambon »

They say that spring has arrived :? The weather has been really bad except for the occasional pleasant day; this has been going on since December..... :evil:

I managed to plant out some summer colour this morning - now the wind has arisen yet again :twisted:

Many of my plants have suffered the excessive rain and I've lost a couple and others are struggling. When I bought my summer plants on Monday even the lady at the nursery said her plants were suffering the continued poor weather.

It's as well I'm not booked solid so that I can nurture my little garden this year. Once bright spot is the Clematis Piilu now in it's 2nd year is doing well.

How are others fareing?
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

One man's meat ?.....
We have had more winter rain than usual down here in Southern Spain. Fortunately, it has been "good rain" in that instead of the usual short torrential downpours in late November, we have had steady more continuous type of rainfall.
The ground here can only accumulate so much water at a time.

As a result, the campo is looking exceptionally beautiful, very green and more wildflowers than usual. But, the best bit, most of our reservoirs have filled up again. We needed it badly. My well had dried up for the first time last summer and the reservoirs were running on near empty. The underground rivers are running again and the rivers have filled.

This rain pattern seems to run in cycles here. I remember a similar winter 9 years ago when the water had topped up again by Spring, avoiding the drought we were again heading for. My Spanish neighbours pointed that out to us.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

On Corse they are saying it's 30 years since its been this wet over the winter, they are building a sports centre at the moment and have had to re design the footings for the pool because of the change in the water table, But when the sun does come out the place is going to be alive with colour.
Cheers
PC
pambon

Post by pambon »

Who was it who said: Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

That may sum it up :)

An exceptional winter in places where it's generally mild. Yes the wild flowers have sprung up, in consequence, earlier than usual and do look lovely. Wish my little garden looked as good and not so bedraggled! (I love that word :lol: So English :!: )
enid

Post by enid »

WE had a wt spring last year as well. Our veg garden gets water from teh slope that leads down to our house and that is normally good - this year two cherry trees are ded - our fruit growing neighbour says too much water and they shouldn't have been planted there (wasn't us!) - the ones at the other side of the house at the top of the slope rather than the bottom seem OK;

It does look lush here too but keeping the grass under control is a nightmare when it never stops raining and as hubby is very ill at themoment there's just me in charge!!!(Thank God for the 2 mature helpxers I've had staying!)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Enid wrote:
keeping the grass under control is a nightmare when it never stops raining
Isn't it ever. Cut grass in the rain last Saturday for the new arrivals and cut logs yesterday for them in the rain. When we moved here in April 2005, it was so continuously sunny that I wondered if I'd be able to cope with the heat. Ha! Last two years April-May have been wet - I'm in no danger of heatstroke!

Jim
pambon

Post by pambon »

Oh Enid I'm so sorry to learn of your hubby. Do hope it's nothing serious or something picked up Down Under...?!

Hope he improves with the spring weather on it's way.
enid

Post by enid »

Lung infection that won't go away - was at the hospital yesterday and he has to have antibiotics intravenously - he could stay there or have the district nurse come here to give him a daily injection so he chose that! He has a nebuliser. I am a bit upset - I know he's OK but my brother died a few years ago of COPD and all this stuff take sme back to that!

Sorry for the thread creep.