Metal Gazebo?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Blue Shutters

Metal Gazebo?

Post by Blue Shutters »

I thought I had found an attractive gazebo to pretty much shade our two hard wood tables, more substantial than parasols, as we have no outside lean to or open barn etc for shade.

BUT delivery is now due week of 18th May (I ordered 1st week Feb when the price was quite a bit less) for delivery in UK end March/beg April) and we have to bring it out to France end of that week, so if the slow boat from China doesn't come in in time (weather, Somalian pirates etc etc :lol: :lol: ) we are a bit stuck!

So has anyone seen this one for real in Costarama, and most importantly does it look good (I don't want a cheap frame tent impression!) Very importantly it has to be able to bolt down onto slabs as a summer permananet fixture, anyone else been gazebo shopping? I can't tell from the picture!

My very kind manager is going to look at it next week for me, but I really prefer the original one, but at least this substitute is a bit cheaper and we may have peace of mind knowing it is sorted out. I have to say to her to buy it if they have it, or hold my horses and hope the other one comes in and not waste her time.
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
domino

Post by domino »

Hi Ali
Dont buy the one from Castorama unless your garden is very sheltered. We bought one last year ( looks identical to one in pic) and it was wrecked by just one storm shortly after we erected it. :x

Our 'lean to' style ( similar price to above) has proved to be more stable and is in its third season. We will have to replace the canvas but the framework is probably OK for another couple of years.

Hope that helps
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Oh dear, but our garden is very sheltered (surrounded by high walls)

What does your lean to one look like? Could you bolt yours down?

I was hoping this was a better bet than the large parasols that will fair even worse in bad weather if guests don't bring them in.
Blog
Twit Tweets
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I've seen similar (but not as elegant) in Leroy Merlin if there is one of those nearby.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
domino

Post by domino »

The biggest problem with the free standing (castorama style) design is the canvas top collects water and causes the metal roof supports to buckle. Add to that gusts of wind and the whole thing very quickly becomes a crumpled mess.

Our 'lean to' design is anchored to the ground by metal pegs and the uprights attached to the wall (rear legs only).
This has allowed a relatively cheap structure to remain standing. The canvas can still sag and collect water so this must be dealt with after rain.

I suppose a more expensive structure may be more solid and have a better design but advice by the manufacturers to remove the canvas if rain/wind is forecast is a real pain and somewhat impractical.
A timber plant covered pergola is probably the answer but isnt an instant fix.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Well I went with the Castorama one, we will see how long it lasts, and if it's better than parasols!
Blog
Twit Tweets