Guests leaving things behind

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

Guests leaving things behind

Post by la vache! »

What do you do in this case, when someone invariably leaves something behind when they depart. I've posted back 3 lots of clothes so far this year (and I'm not talking odd socks). I have never even had a thankyou e-mail acknowledgement, let alone an offer of postage reimbursement. Does everyone else send stuff back or should I just replenish my cleaning rags with the said items in future? I don't mind sending stuff back, but I would appreciate a little acknowledgement, is that too much to ask??
Last edited by la vache! on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We've only ever had one guest leave anything major behind -- a gorgeous soft leather briefcase. We posted it back and they paid for postage, and they sent us a letter of thanks.

I say you're completely fine asking them to pay for the shipping. Why should you be responsible for their forgetfulness? If they haven't already gotten their deposit back, you could deduct the postage from that after you've verified that they actually do want their clothes (or whatever) back.

Cheers!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have had clothing left behind, but not sent it on because I assumed they didn't want it and couldn't be bothered to dispose of it. I keep it aside for a while so that if they ask about it I can send it to them, but nobody has done so yet.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"I have never even had a thankyou e-mail acknowledgement, let alone an offer of postage reimbursement."
Susan, thank you for giving me the answer to a question I have sometimes asked myself ("Should I post on clothes before the person concerned asks for them?").
Best,
Alexia.
enid

Post by enid »

Susan

I don't think an acknowledgement is too much to ask - after all you have given a service. I think it depends on the item on whether I would return or not. If someone left a watch for example I am sure they would want it back and I would want them to have it. Smaller items I keep for while. Books I presume were left to add to the gite library - and we have a read of them first - then I always thank the clients for them.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I do the same as Paolo...I once threw out a T shirt we found down the bed....then 4 months later they asked had we found it :roll:

If they ask for it back naturally I send it on....but hear nothing then they don't want it.

But if they ask and I've sent then I always get a thank you.
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Items left behind to date:

T-shirt - posted back - thank you & postage re-imbursed

Diamond earrings (!) - posted back - thank you & offer of postage reimbursement

Handbag - looked new but cheap. No request to send so have it in the wardrobe awaiting collection!

Sarong - looks a bit tatty, but am holding onto it in case it is claimed!

Many books, which I have added to my library for future guests.

Not bad for four years of renting!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Susan,

I am in the camp that unless they ask for it back I probably wouldn't send it back. If it is something of value I would call first or email and ask if they wished to pay the postage.

I would say in your case that they didn't want the stuff back and thus where not feeling thankful to see them again!! :roll: - not excusing the lack of courtesy though...
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Clexane,
you are right, I won't be doing that again! I will perhaps keep the item for 3 weeks, giving the guests ample time to unpack and realise it is missing, before adding it to the cleaning cloth box.
debk

Post by debk »

Oh, my. Our guests leave behind everything: socks, undies, portable PC storage devices, suitcase (guess they bought a new one?), clothes, more clothes, earrings, etc.

So I nabbed this from somewhere and added it to our Rental Agreement:

16. Please contact us promptly if you believe you have left personal belongings at the property after check-out. Items left on the premises will be held for 30 days before being donated to charity or discarded.

I have no idea if this is true, but a friend who runs a B&B told us that contacting guests about items left behind is a MAJOR no-no in the hotel industry. Their reasoning was that you don't really know whether your guests are married or having a fling or ??? and if something shows up in the mail from, say, Portugal and the spouse didn't know about said Portuguese trip...

... well, you definitely aren't going to get a thank you note. :lol:
cromercrabholiday

Scumpy

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We had an emergency call from some guests whose young boy had left his favourite comforter behind. It was described as a bear called Scumpy.

Our cleaners carry out an extensive clean each turnaround and the cottage is always spotless (expensive but we feel worthwhile). So, it was a surprise that they had missed it. We happened to be staying there shortly after and searched high and low. Eventually, it turned up under and behind an electric fire and was a flat fabric bear - goodness how the lad got it there.

It was duly sent back much to family relief and the little lad told all his friends that Scumpy had stayed on holiday after they left but had now come home!

Sometimes, it all seems worthwhile - needless to say, they've been back twice.

John
Ju

Post by Ju »

We've had two sponge bags left behind this week (both in the same bathroom). One had travel sized shampoo etc in it so I'm assuming they don't want that back. The other one is a make-up bag full of Clinique and lanquome(sp?) goodies. I'm sure they will want it back, but they haven't asked yet. I've not got around to e-mailing them yet (obviously I've got time to post on here, but e-mailing is different!). Should I just box it and send it off, or ask them first?

This is only the second time people have left anything, the previous time was clothes which the guests contacted us about and I sent on. I didn't take anything off the security deposit as I see it to be a gesture of goodwill.

Ju
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

If it's not important enough for them to ask for it, is it important enough for you to send it?
Best,
Alexia.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Sometimes with things like that they may not notice they don't have it until next time they need it? I travel a lot and probably wouldn't notice all of my stuff (Clarins) was missing until I needed my travel bag next time. Really, I have weekend travel bags and longer break travel bags so don't rely on the stuff daily. I'd drop them an email when you have a mo?

I think I have probably mentioned this before but from the other side of the coin. I have some brollies hanging in the hallway for guests to use. Dad got them from the Pound shop. Someone inadvertantly took one away with them, emailed and insisted on posting it back. I insisted they shouldn't as a £1 brolly was neither here or there but they did and sent it back at a much greater postage than it was worth!!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I found used condoms under a bed :shock: yuk!!!!!!!!! but I did take great plesure in posting them back. I wonder if they will be rtn guests? hum maybe not
Cheers
PC