Smoking or not?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
John Borg

Smoking or not?

Post by John Borg »

This is a hot topic in Malta at the moment due to a new contreversial law recently passed, banning smoking from all public places. Obviously, a rental property is not public, though I would prefer my guests not to smoke indoors. I notice many adverts actually stating that the property is "non smoking", though I worry that this would deter a considerable amount of potential customers. I simply "deter" indoor smoking by not providing ashtrays inside the premises. This seems to do the trick! I have no pregidice towards smokers, as I am a smoker myself, though I detest the horrible odour cigarettes/cigars leave, which linger on for days after. In fact, when I stay in hotels abroad, I always book a non-smoking room as I cannot stand the smell of old tobacco. No, I'm not a hypocrite, just a stupid smoker who can't kick the filthy habit!!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

We insist that our apartment is only available to non-smokers, and find that our guest appreciate that. The only time I've ever made a deduction from the breakages deposit was when some people had smoked like chimneys in the apartment, and the whole place stank. (They had left the place in a state, anyway.) I deducted the cost of laundering the curtains, which had just picked up the smell, air fresheners, and Febreeze - lots of it! The person who deals with our changeovers is very experienced, and she described the smell as 'disgusting'. Because we don't have ashtrays, they had used pudding boels as ashtrays, which they had left overflowing.
At the very top of our details, we state that the apartment is for non-smokers only, and have had a couple of bookings where a family member is asthmatic, and we've been chosen specifically because we exclude smokers. We're quite happy with our decision, and think we gain as many, if not more, bookings than we deter. We wouldn't choose to stay anywhere where we couldn't specify non-smoking accommodation.
It has to come down to personal choice, doesn't it? Vive la difference, and all that!
Maggie
tansy

Post by tansy »

reformed smokers the worst!!!! try Alan Carrs - how to stop snoking the easy way - it worked for me thank goodness - I can't understand how I ever had such a habit now!

We're non smoking houses and everyone is very appreciative - the only time I had any problem was that someone had brought their 80+ year old mother on holiday & bless her she was having a crafty fag in her ensuite - unfortunately for her I was at the house for some reason and smelt it - her daughter didn't know she was being so naughty and smoking - they were beside themselves - I felt terrible dropping the old duck in it!!

But Non Smoking really does work for us and really have not had any problems with it or certainly lost any bookings through it.

Go on - give it up!
paolo

Post by paolo »

The older I get, the more extreme I feel about smoking. I am also an ex-smoker, the worst kind of non-smoker. Both my properties are advertised as non-smoking and I don't care if it loses me bookings. You can't have guests turning up at your house on a Saturday afternoon and smelling the previous people's stale smoke.

Of course you'll still get smokers, but perhaps they are more willing to pop out on the balcony if they know they are breaking the law of the land!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I give the non smoking vote... I make it clear on the website and booking form. I've only had one set of guests who I suspected of sneaking the odd one - I don't think smokers realise how much it smells to non smokers. I look on it as a safety and damage issue too.

On that note - near our cottage are the villages of Craster and Seahouses - these places are both famous for kippers - I love them myself but I wish guests would refrain from having them on their last morning as the smell is very hard to get rid of!!! :roll:
meseta

smokers

Post by meseta »

Personally, I just make it clear that the entire property, not just inside, but anywhere on my land, is non smoking ! It's made plain on my website, plain in the booking material I send and rebriefed when the guests arrive. Take it or leave it ! Our guests reall appreciate the clean fresh environment we give them.