Towels? Reasonable wear and tear?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.

Should we charge for a guest ruining 50% of their bath towels?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:45 pm

Yes, the guests should pay for the towels
44%
No, stop your whining and use the towels yourself
56%

Total votes: 9

debk

Post by debk »

gracios, even i woldn't do that!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I think the answer is Yes and No.

If it is wilful destruction or mindless negligence the answer is - Yes.

If it is truly wear and tear then the answer is - No.

Alan
A-two

Post by A-two »

Alan Knighting wrote:
I think the answer is Yes and No.

If it is wilful destruction or mindless negligence the answer is - Yes.

If it is truly wear and tear then the answer is - No.

Alan
I had to re-read this thread with a different perspective since 75% of my white fluffy towels were stained, dyed pink, blue or grey over this last week. We pulled out the worst and I just spent 2 days soaking in Oxyclean, then bleach. They are back to whitish - but will never be the same.

In our case it's mindless negligence, nice enough people, but very messy - They left 75% of the kitchen pots, pans, cutlery, glasses, mugs and plates in a greasy, dirty, state, although put away, if you can call throwing it into any old cupboard or drawer put away. All the dirty was mixed up with the clean. Nice. I spent the whole day apologizing to the cleaners about how bad the place was, with them replying that it was not bad at all. They say our place is always very good compared to some they do, mentioning vomit on the bed and urine on the sofa as a better definition of what "bad" really is.

Well, they must know best and I must be spoilt. The previous week, we found every knife, fork and spoon neatly lined up in exactly the right spot - not a thing out of place - what a treat!

This last lot also broke a lawn chair, lampshade, and stained a carpet as well, but the lawn chair was an old one and the other things may have been genuine accidents. Still deciding what to do about their security, I am mindful that they didn't mention anything about any of it, as if it's all part of the service. That's the really annoying part.

I don't want to "teach them a lesson", neither do I want to "nickel and dime" anyone, but part of me thinks maybe we ought to take a deduction on principal, then at least the next place they rent (not ours ever again) may be treated properly.
Waves from America
enid

Post by enid »

Accidents do happen but like you I just wish people would tell us!! Last night I noticed that one of the pots by the pool had been broken - it was still just about holding together but ready to go at any moment when all the soil would have gone everywhere - if I'd been told I would have removed it straight away. Par contre just had an e mail from last week's guests who have found a teaspoon in their picnic box which they will be returning by post - of course they had left the gite spotless.

Takes all sorts.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Ladies I sympathise ...this week has been a doodle for me - we were finished by midday - the houses were wonderful..I was even thinking, flip here we are nearly at end of season and somehow we all have got in a swing....then I read your posts and realised, no, we had wonderful guests this week...fingers crossed I have same on Saturday as one of my ladies is away for a big Bretagne wedding...3 day event so it's just me and my 19 year old lassie to help.

Wilful muck like you have been left Joanna really gets me...there just is no excuse...planter by the pool...why am I not surprised you weren't told Enid!

Onwards & upwards..the b----rs won't get me down!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Joanna,

In your circumstances I would be charging them. I would charge them a fee for the damaged towels probably a percentage as they where not new, and for the damaged goods. I would also consider charging a few hours of additional cleaning time.

We are ready to give up a lot for our guest and not 'nickel and dime' but when we are being used and abused my attitude changes.

Good luck
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

Clexane wrote: We are ready to give up a lot for our guest and not 'nickel and dime' but when we are being used and abused my attitude changes.
I agree completely that their attitude makes a big difference. "Sorry" goes a long way with me. If something had been said such as, "oops...sorry, some of your towels were accidentally thrown in with our bright red T shirts", or if they had left a few dollars on the kitchen table with a note for the cleaners saying, "sorry about the extra mess - we ran out of time" ...anything at all really that acknowledges the extra work and cost involved on our side, well, I could forgive a lot.

As it is, the consensus is pretty clear on what I need to do, so I have the confidence now to do it. This board is so helpful to get a balanced perspective.

Thank you gals and Clexaneguy!

Sorry about the plant pot - ouch - that's going to hurt because you don't know who did it.
Waves from America
A-two

Post by A-two »

Another thought on the broken plant pot - I love real terracotta and ceramic pots, but we can't use them outdoors here because they crack in low winter temperatures, hence we have to use plastic replicas of terracotta. They are so good now, you would never know the difference without actually touching them - same color, same patterns, some even "aged". They also make foam versions, but I wouldn't recommend as they discolor quickly and don't last.
Waves from America
enid

Post by enid »

Re my pot - actually it's still going , I gently moved it to by the palm tree, turned it round to hide the great big cracks and the geraniums look lovely. The pots aren't that expensive - I have a good source - it's just as you say - a sorry would be nice and then I could reassure them that it's not the end of the world - i wouldn't put flowers around the poolside if I didn't expect them to get a knock or two.
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

They left 75% of the kitchen pots, pans, cutlery, glasses, mugs and plates in a greasy, dirty, state, although put away, if you can call throwing it into any old cupboard or drawer put away
Joanna, sounds to me like that was deliberate, to try and hide them.

I agree with the majority verdict here.

Deduct them!!!

Next case please.....
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

I have just had the same issue over one quality bath towel stained by hair dye. I decided I was not to charge for it from the Breakages Deposit. I did mention that there had been no charge for it. Ladies, please tell me, surely as it would have happened before at home, one would be extra careful with white towels in a guest house?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Aldo - yes you woul dthink so wouldn't you....but in my experience it doesn't happen.

I had the very same thing happen to on eof my towels last summer - I charged.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
debk

Post by debk »

Ladies, please tell me, surely as it would have happened before at home, one would be extra careful with white towels in a guest house?
Fortunately, after four years and four properties -- all full of fluffy white towels -- I can say that (apart from the incident which started this thread) the vast majority of people treats things very well indeed.

There is, however, always the exception which is what you just experienced. The question remains: do you let them get away with it, riding on the coattails of good will generated by the majority of wonderful guests?

You and I decided not to charge because that's the way we are. One side of me wishes I had charged if only to try to insert a bit of responsibility/consequence sequencing into their brainstem. However, I am not their mother and don't wish to be. :shock: Thus the decision to not charge.

Each situation is different... mostly, just wanted you to know I share your aggravation.
debk
who likes her grey hair, worked darn hard for it and is not about to dye it
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Bliss ! Back to straightforward stuff like towels. I do not charge for ruined towels. I grit my teeth and bare it. I no longer put expensive towels in tho. I buy mid range/price. I still put them in bales and make them look nice. I decided to buy cheaper ones but replace more often ! They always look good then. :-)
Donna P

Towels

Post by Donna P »

Just buy cheap ones, they only do horrible things with them. As for charging guests, do hotels charge for laundry of towels? only in the room price. If you supply "posh" towels you will have to charge guests more for the rental of the property and as this business is often price driven do you really want to charge 20 euros more per week because you are worried about your towels being spoilt? Either swallow the charge yourself or risk being priced out by your neighbour.
Donna P
"Stop the world I want to get off"