VacationRentals.com vs. Holiday-rentals.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
RiverKen

VacationRentals.com vs. Holiday-rentals.com

Post by RiverKen »

I get most my booking from VacationRentals.com and I am in the US. I get more booking from them than from VRBO.

Does anyone know if Holiday-rentals.com gives a lot of booking for US homes. and does VacationRentals.com do as good in Europe as it does in the US.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, RiverKen! Image

I think holiday-rentals will tend to get enquiries from the UK rather than the US because it's core market is the UK for owners and users. But I could be completely wrong as that is not based on any data.

With vacationrentals.com you should see the opposite effect - more US users than European.

But regardless of where a listing site is based, its effectiveness will vary from location to location, and even property to property.

If you want to know how well vacationrentals.com might perform for your house in the UK, type some British search phrases into Google: [location] holiday rentals', '[location] self catering', '[location] rental cottage', etc.

Look also for how often holiday-rentals.com turns up on the first page of 10 results.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Ken.

Like Paolo so wisely said, effectiveness for the sites will vary from location to location and property to property. But here's a data point for you:

I signed up for the vacationrentals free trial in Nov 2003... and promptly got a booking. So I paid for a year. Then no more bookings. I didn't pay this past year, but they kept my listing around for many months after it expired. Again, without any bookings.

All of which to say that I get more bookings from holiday-rentals than from vacationrentals for my Lisbon property.

Hope that helps!
debk
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've not had any enquiries from anywhere for months - in the last 24 hours 2 bookings from holiday-rentals.com for 2006 and both from the States....so what does that tell us :?
RiverKen

Post by RiverKen »

Thanks for the input, makes sense that the location and property matter because each site has its own type of travelers it attracts.

I get almost all US travelers from VacationRentals.com. I don't know if many European travelers come to Oregon USA.

Holiday-rentals.com has no Oregon homes maybe I should try it, and see if any Europeans are interested in Oregon. Costs a lot to try. I wish they had a free trial like VacationRentals.com Having the free trail makes it a no brainer to try a site and see if it works for your rental.

If Holiday-rentals.com can bring me Europeans as well as VacationRentals.com bring the Americans I will be well booked.

PS. What percent do you rent to European vs. Americans
debk

Post by debk »

Hey, Ken -

Every once in a while I hear that h-r is running a free trial. Their customer service has been great so I suggest that you write and ask them for a trial, telling them that you heard good things about them at laymyhat but are a little concerned because they don't have any listings in Oregon. (They faithfully monitor some of these forums and are excellent about responding to issues. Another big plus for them as far as I am concerned.)

We moved to Portugal from Seattle in 2001... and I spent a lot of time in Oregon at Nike, Fred Meyer, Bear Creek, etc, before I "retired" here. Nice to meet a fellow PNWer. Go Dawgs! :wink:
debk
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hi Ken,

I spent some time working in Oregon a few years back and fell in love with the place! It's on my list to take the wife as soon as we can afford it!
I was at Woodburn, but took some time off to travel up the Pacific Highway. Rockaway Bay, Tillamook, Netarts Bay, Nehalem Bay, Cannon Beach....memories! The scenery is stunning, the people were great. It's an ideal holiday destination. Good luck!
tansy

Post by tansy »

Hi Ken...I've only ever been to Phoenix...loved Tombstone and Boot Hill Cemetery....but that is nowhere near you!

I do get lots of Americans because I am on Utah Beach so consequently we get many many enquiries...I prefer American visitors as well so I am well happy...but all of my American guests have come through holiday-rentals.com...who I have found to be excellent....I have just had arun of 11 consectutive American families...not bad!

I have just finished putting my house onto vacationrentals for my free trial - thank you for suggesting them...hopefully lots more Americans coming to see me soon!

All the best
RiverKen

Post by RiverKen »

Hi Tansy,

Phoenix is a little hot for me, Oregon is a lot more trees and rivers which I like.

I think I may try H-R, since I will be the only one in Oregon. May be good to be on a site with good traffic but not many homes in my area.

Hope your free trial on VacationRentals.com works for your house,
You look like you are one of three in your area on, if I found your listing right.
"On Utah Beach with stunning sea views" -- nice house
I would guess it will get you the American travelers.
tansy

Post by tansy »

yes Ken - that's me! Thank you - I think it is a stunning spot...we have some wonderful comments left by our guests.

Yeah cactus instead of trees was very different!
RiverKen

Post by RiverKen »

While I have a chance to talk to some sharp europeans, could you tell me what are the most popular search engines are in Europe?

In the US it is
Google
Yahoo
MSN
Teoma

Is it the same in Europe? and are there some good regional search engines in different areas?
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I use Google as a first choice followed by Yahoo. I very rarely use MSN, not really sure why. I don't know if I am typical or not though.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

google.co.uk

have tried wanadoo.fr but found google much better.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

It certainly does seem that different nationalities have different favorite search engines.

See a range of statistics at http://searchenginewatch.com/reports/

Where I noted that in the US, Google has 48% share, with Yahoo a distant second at only 21% of traffic. On the other hand in France, Wanadoo come top with 37.7% and Google are down in fourth place with 32.3%. Us Brits seem to prefer MSN at 42% and Google is second at 32%.

All data supplied by Nielsen NetRatings (and I have no affiliation!)

p.s. I found this website using Google :wink:
paolo

Post by paolo »

e-richard wrote:Us Brits seem to prefer MSN at 42% and Google is second at 32%.
I don't believe it! I'm sure Google has more than 50% of the UK search market. I have read that for the last couple of years, and MSN search has only just launched - if Microsoft had overtaken Google that would be big news, it would make Bill Gates de facto emperor of the world.
Paolo
Lay My Hat